Are you using multiple monitors?

spantini

COO of me, inc.
I'm using one monitor with user guides for DAW, interface, and Porta Studio in the background - as well as one or more Chrome tabs and another two or three open windows. Soon, I'll have even more user guides in the background. I'm thinking I need a second monitor just for user guides - temporarily - until I learn enough to get by.

Anyone here regularly using multiple monitors?

I think you will find that these days most regular DAW users have moved to at least dual monitors...it's just too messy trying to work of of one, unless it's like 32" or more.
I've been running a pair of 22" monitors for several years now...and been thinking how a third monitor, up above the other two would help a lot for putting stuff that you need to see, but not have in front of you. That way the dual screens would be for the DAW tracks, and the upper screen for plugs or the mixer...etc...and then as you move through your DAW phases, you switch, and put the mixer on the lower two, and your tracks on the third one above.
Of course, it would require switching to a 3 or 4 monitor video card...so for now the dual setup is still working OK.

Hey there,
I use two 24" widescreens side by side, and have used dual screens of some sort for maybe 10 years or so.
That's a pretty common setup since a lot of DAWs let you see an edit view and a mix view separately.

Most modern OSs should have some shortcut for fanning out all your open windows for quick switching. Maybe that'd be useful for you?
As much as I do use that quite often, I'd still want two screens for tracking and mixing.

I used 2 24" 1080p monitors for a long time, and I loved it. Now I'm on a single 34" ultra-wide (3440x1440), and although the 1440 vertical resolution makes everything pretty tiny for my aging eyes, I really love having all of that screen real estate with no bezel in the middle. I've adapted to it very quickly. I especially love it for DAW use. And, of course it's awesome for gaming :)

That's what I don't like about the "widescreen" monitors...the give horizontal real estate at the expense of vertical, which for most DAW operations is the more critical. You get all the width, but you have to use the higher resolutions, and then everything is tiny. My comp0uter monitors are about 3' back, where they sit on top of the console meter bridge, so I need more realistic viewing size.

My 22" monitors are the 4 x 3 aspect ratio, which I prefer over the 16 x 9, which is fine for movies and other shit like that but I don't like it for basic computer use. I mean, even websites are designed for vertical viewing.
The widescreens are OK if you are going open 2-3 applications at once, and give each some horizontal space...but that's about it, IMO.

I'm also running 2 22" but the older I get the harder it gets to see smaller type. I'm thinking of moving to a 32" non wide screen. I saw one on display at the local microcenter with a vid of logic pro example and it looks easier to read plus you still get the height.

Back