Wimdows 10, diving in.

Winows10 sucks. You can't turn off the auto updates. My Presonus 1818vsl has no support for W10 so I lost my virtual mixer & all it's bells /whistles. I bought it for those features. Solution ??? Luckily my computer came with 8.1 so I backed up 80gb of files, re-imaged the HD and spent a week putting all my programs, plugins & content back in order. For now, I can get along fine but maybe I will jump ship to a MAC in the future.

1. Why can't you run the program in compatibility mode?
2. If you go to a Mac, be prepared for a whole new set of problems.

Winows10 sucks. You can't turn off the auto updates. My Presonus 1818vsl has no support for W10 so I lost my virtual mixer & all it's bells /whistles. I bought it for those features. Solution ??? Luckily my computer came with 8.1 so I backed up 80gb of files, re-imaged the HD and spent a week putting all my programs, plugins & content back in order. For now, I can get along fine but maybe I will jump ship to a MAC in the future.

Are you sure, 8.1 and 10 are pretty much the same and most of Win7 drivers work in both. I can't imagine Presonus didn't take their drivers and all the support up to 10. That is very strange.

Are you sure, 8.1 and 10 are pretty much the same and most of Win7 drivers work in both. I can't imagine Presonus didn't take their drivers and all the support up to 10. That is very strange.

I'd be curious about this as well.

I've got a W10 set up, and W7 drivers for my ancient Presonus Firepod work in W10. (In fact they work for XP).

You can shut of auto updates although it's a bit of a cheat using options on your wifi setting, details here: How to Prevent Windows 10 From Automatically Downloading Updates

Beware seeing Mac as your saviour. I'm active on the Adobe user forums for Audition and we get a huge number of queries/complaints every time Apple issue a big OS upgrade (I've given up remember what mountains the named them after). On at least the last three Apple OS upgrades, they messed around with audio and it took two or three bug fixes (from Apple) to make things work properly. I'm sure some people were lucky but Apple products aren't a magic fix.

You can shut of auto updates although it's a bit of a cheat using options on your wifi setting, details here: How to Prevent Windows 10 From Automatically Downloading Updates

I haven't checked that out, but there's also another way to turn off automatic updates in Windows 10. There's a service which runs in the background that allows the computer to download stuff in the background, and if you disable that service it will prevent the computer from being able to automatically check for and download Windows updates-- you can still update if you want to, but you must check for updates manually. The drawback is that you might download and install an update which notices that the service is turned off, and turns it back on. Thus, whenever you install an update you'd presumably need to go check the services to see whether that particular one got turned on again, and if it did, turn it off again.

I don't remember the name of the service offhand-- I think its BITS (Background Intelligent Transfer Service), but I'd need to double-check.

I've never understood the big issues folks have with Win 10, or Win anything. For Windows 10 updates (if for some reason one is so scared of automatic updates), either turn it off, or don't connect to the internet. In the highly unlikely event that an update does break something, just revert the update. If people are silly enough to think that Macs are the answer to this, go and search through the DAW support areas for issues with major SW updates from Apple and Microsoft and see how often issues hit with each and also how long it takes the DAW companies to adjust their programs to be compatible or compliant. You will be shocked at how many more things happen when Apple updates things. It's only their marketing that causes people to think Apple's HW and SW "just works". Reality is SO different. But validate this yourself, if you doubt what I am saying here.

I'm one of the lucky ones...the Win 10 update worked perfectly first time (and I'd checked compatibility for things like my audio interfaces etc. in advance) so I had no problems. Indeed, a few of the small features I like.

However, in all fairness there have been a lot of horror stories from people who did the upgrade and ended up with a non-functioning computer.

Auto upgrades? A you say, I've just turned them off and do them manually once I've read the chat online about how they work and what they do.

The one thing I have to agree with you on is Apple updates. As I stated a few posts back, they've caused huge problems, particularly on the audio side, on most of their updates over the last few years.

Back