Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Wimdows 10, diving in.

northampton uk home of Dr Who and Blackstar Amps!
    Thanks

Wimdows 10, diving in.

Sign in to disable this ad
    In about ten minutes I am going to attempt to install W10 on an HP desktop presently running W7 64 bits. The computer uses an M-A 2496 card so that will be interesting!

Earlier today I made an image of the C drive on a second internal hard drive and I have made a Repair Disc.

Will keep you posted.

Dave.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ecc83 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Watch where you dive in...that pool may be shallow in spots.

Just curious....what's the reason/need for Win 10...just something new to have, or there's an app that can only run on Win 10?

northampton uk home of Dr Who and Blackstar Amps!
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by miroslav View Post
    Watch where you dive in...that pool may be shallow in spots.

Just curious....what's the reason/need for Win 10...just something new to have, or there's an app that can only run on Win 10?
    Just curious really. I have a computer that I rarely use now and keep reading a lot about the pro and cons of 10.

If it does not work out I can re instate my image (I think!) or, at the death, run the Recovery partition that HP provide.

Dave.

Thanks
    I only ask because we at work yesterday had our monthly organizational IT meeting...and it was floated that a Win 10 migration from Win 7 might be coming sooner than expected (originally we thought we would stay on Win 7 for at least 3 more years)...
    ...and there was a global groan from about 30 IT people in the room.

Now granted...organizational OS migrations when dealing with thousands of computers is ugly no matter what...which is less of an issue at home, doing one PC...but just saying that everyone of those IT guys feels Win 7 is very solid and comfortable at the moment...and no one is curious to try Win 10.
    The biggest issue is the win 10 connection back the MS. We don't want that. We want it more like a typical standalone installation.
    We're also skipping right over Win 8/8.1...with the exception of a bunch of tablet users that got that....and they're not loving it.

Some folks have done Win 10 and like it, guys that are doing audio...but report back when you are done about your experience.

Thanks
    I think Windows 10 is being rolled out as a 'Recommended' update for most windows 7 users as of next year - it's being pushed pretty hard. Looks like it'll be useful to know what will and won't work, I have very low hopes for my interface.
    Windows 10 will be made an automatic ?recommended? update early next year | Ars Technica UK

I wonder if they forgot to check if there was a market for Windows 10 before they started development and assumed everyone would want it?

Thanks
    I upped to 10 as soon as it was available. My PC runs fine now. There were some odd occurrences at the onset as if the OS hadn’t settled in yet. Like sudden reboots in the middle of a recording. Or annoying updates every time i turned on the machine. Now days though it seems to have gotten over those things.
    My best like is that the update is over the web. That is something I've wanted for a long time. I also found a thread where I learned how to turn off all the snooping features. I did, but right now I think I might have to revisit that as those updates may have turned them on again.
    I don’t use the genie thing that comes with 10. The interface is smoother than 8. I really don’t see much difference.

Thanks
    Sounds like a nightmare - restarting in the middle of recording!? No thanks.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Manslick View Post
    I really don’t see much difference.
    This is sorta what I'm asking...why bother with the update if there's not much difference...?

Thanks
    At the moment there isn't a good reason, but new products are going to stop supporting the legacy OS. Eventually you'll have to upgrade if you want anything new.

I am currently in a difficult situation where if I want to upgrade my studio machine I to find a mobo with both PCI and IDE headers, spend around $600 to replace the "interface" that has worked for almost a decade, or downgrade my track capacity. It runs well enough at the moment, but...

Thanks
    Oh I know exactly what you mean.

I'm still running 3 PCI (not PCIe) cards...and it was a PITA finding a computer with a mobo that still had that many...and that was more newer/current with newer flavor CPUs and the ability to do more RAM. I settled with a Dell Precision T3400...which had the slots, plus PCIe, and a Quad Core Extreme processor, and I was able to shoehorn 16 GB RAM into it.

So the trick is ...settle in with what you have and use it until it absolutely no longer meets your needs. People are obsessed with new, new, new...so they by the latest app that needs the latest OS, then they need a new interface, and all new drivers...etc..etc...etc.
    It's a domino affect...and my question is, why upgrade if the end result is the same (only newer)?
    IOW...did you REALLY need that newest app that triggered all the other upgrades...or do you just want something "new".

So like right now...I have that computer, with three 10+ year old Layla24 PCI cards...I'm running Win 7 (last OS that Layla drivers support)...and I have all the plugs I could want/need.
    I'm not upgrading to Win 100 for a very, very long time...unless all this stuff shits the bed.

Oh..."IDE"....???...now c'mon, that's REALLY clinging. Let it go man.

Thread Information