Wimdows 10, diving in.

ecc83

In about ten minutes I am going to attempt to install W10 on an HP desktop presently running W7 64 bits. The computer uses an M-A 2496 card so that will be interesting!

Earlier today I made an image of the C drive on a second internal hard drive and I have made a Repair Disc.

Will keep you posted.

Dave.

Watch where you dive in...that pool may be shallow in spots.

Just curious....what's the reason/need for Win 10...just something new to have, or there's an app that can only run on Win 10?

Watch where you dive in...that pool may be shallow in spots.

Just curious....what's the reason/need for Win 10...just something new to have, or there's an app that can only run on Win 10?

Just curious really. I have a computer that I rarely use now and keep reading a lot about the pro and cons of 10.

If it does not work out I can re instate my image (I think!) or, at the death, run the Recovery partition that HP provide.

Dave.

I only ask because we at work yesterday had our monthly organizational IT meeting...and it was floated that a Win 10 migration from Win 7 might be coming sooner than expected (originally we thought we would stay on Win 7 for at least 3 more years)...
...and there was a global groan from about 30 IT people in the room. :facepalm: :D

Now granted...organizational OS migrations when dealing with thousands of computers is ugly no matter what...which is less of an issue at home, doing one PC...but just saying that everyone of those IT guys feels Win 7 is very solid and comfortable at the moment...and no one is curious to try Win 10. :p
The biggest issue is the win 10 connection back the MS. We don't want that. We want it more like a typical standalone installation.
We're also skipping right over Win 8/8.1...with the exception of a bunch of tablet users that got that....and they're not loving it.

Some folks have done Win 10 and like it, guys that are doing audio...but report back when you are done about your experience.

I think Windows 10 is being rolled out as a 'Recommended' update for most windows 7 users as of next year - it's being pushed pretty hard. Looks like it'll be useful to know what will and won't work, I have very low hopes for my interface.
Windows 10 will be made an automatic ?recommended? update early next year | Ars Technica UK

I wonder if they forgot to check if there was a market for Windows 10 before they started development and assumed everyone would want it?

I upped to 10 as soon as it was available. My PC runs fine now. There were some odd occurrences at the onset as if the OS hadn’t settled in yet. Like sudden reboots in the middle of a recording. Or annoying updates every time i turned on the machine. Now days though it seems to have gotten over those things.
My best like is that the update is over the web. That is something I've wanted for a long time. I also found a thread where I learned how to turn off all the snooping features. I did, but right now I think I might have to revisit that as those updates may have turned them on again.
I don’t use the genie thing that comes with 10. The interface is smoother than 8. I really don’t see much difference.

At the moment there isn't a good reason, but new products are going to stop supporting the legacy OS. Eventually you'll have to upgrade if you want anything new.

I am currently in a difficult situation where if I want to upgrade my studio machine I to find a mobo with both PCI and IDE headers, spend around $600 to replace the "interface" that has worked for almost a decade, or downgrade my track capacity. It runs well enough at the moment, but...

Oh I know exactly what you mean.

I'm still running 3 PCI (not PCIe) cards...and it was a PITA finding a computer with a mobo that still had that many...and that was more newer/current with newer flavor CPUs and the ability to do more RAM. I settled with a Dell Precision T3400...which had the slots, plus PCIe, and a Quad Core Extreme processor, and I was able to shoehorn 16 GB RAM into it.

So the trick is ...settle in with what you have and use it until it absolutely no longer meets your needs. People are obsessed with new, new, new...so they by the latest app that needs the latest OS, then they need a new interface, and all new drivers...etc..etc...etc.
It's a domino affect...and my question is, why upgrade if the end result is the same (only newer)? :)
IOW...did you REALLY need that newest app that triggered all the other upgrades...or do you just want something "new".

So like right now...I have that computer, with three 10+ year old Layla24 PCI cards...I'm running Win 7 (last OS that Layla drivers support)...and I have all the plugs I could want/need.
I'm not upgrading to Win 100 for a very, very long time...unless all this stuff shits the bed. :D

Oh..."IDE"....???...now c'mon, that's REALLY clinging. Let it go man. :p ;)

Oh..."IDE"....???...now c'mon, that's REALLY clinging. Let it go man. :p ;)
The Steinberg VSL 2020 that I'm running has drivers up to XP (32 bit). The version of XP I'm running on the machine has worked on three different machines just by taking the (IDE) OS hard drive from the last and plugging it into the next. I'm not completely sure what happens when I try to copy that drive to a SATA, but I do know that a fresh install of XP is getting tougher and tougher. I mean, it works up to the point that you need something from one of the updates...

I probably don't really need to upgrade that machine soon, but I want to upgrade my "living room" machine, and I'd like to be able to accomplish that by upgrading the studio machine and then moving its old mobo to the living room. Just doesnt feel right to me to have more horsepower in the machine that I use for Netflix and Facebook than the one I use for audio production. :/

Plus, they're both kind of jealous of my live machine which just runs circles around both of them.

Have not had any time to get back to Ten. Initial turn on, worked.

Sounds played thru my 2496 but I then found that Samplitude Silver won't run neither will Cubase Elements 6. In the latter I cannot set "Delta ASIO" as the default driver, perhaps never shall?

Investigations also showed some potential problems with my KA6 interface but NI now have a driver (I expected no less!) . No chance to try it yet.

One thing totally bugs me....No "Computer" ! HTF are peeps supposed to check things after install if you cannot readily call up your drives etc? There IS a way to get it back it seems, first job on my return to it.

One thing I noticed? It shut down like heavy coffin lid!

Dave.

Dave (ecc) - keep us updated!

I have studiously ignored the constant 'free upgrade now' pop-ups. Afraid that my Tascam US800 won't be nice with it, as well as a bunch of software I've been using since Vista and XP days - some of which gives me issues in W7 (like crashing first time it boots up, but ok the next time).

I guess because there are differences, (compared to Win7) it's free and it comes over the net.

It's only free and comes over the net if you already have a legal, version that qualifies for the upgrade.
Which means you already have to own Win 7 or Win 8... :)
Oh...and the jury is still out on whether Win 10 is really "free" in the long run. It may not cost as an OS, but MS will have their claws in you after that on a deeper scale. So it's a different price to pay.

I'm talking about the operational features/differences (mostly as they apply to a DAW environment).
What does Win 10 get you that you don't already have?

I think that the main thing that you get is an upgrade path for the foreseeable future. Win7 will be going the way of WinXP before too terribly long.

I loved Win7, and it was only a whim that prompted me to update to Win10. There's nothing magical about it though. Win7 will be fine for a while, but not forever. At least with Win10 the upgrade path is pretty well set for a while.

Oh and Dave, Win10 "encourages" you to use the feature of typing into the start menu. It was available in Win7, but Win10 pretty much necessitates that you click the start button and start typing what you're looking for. Most of the nerdier features and settings are under the "settings" item in the start menu...same applies there. click on Settings and start typing what you're looking for (device manager, sound, printers, etc...).

"Oh and Dave, Win10 "encourages" you to use the feature of typing into the start menu. It was available in Win7, but Win10 pretty much necessitates that you click the start button and start typing what you're looking for. Most of the nerdier features and settings are under the "settings" item in the start menu...same applies there. click on Settings and start typing what you're looking for (device manager, sound, printers, etc...). "

Well that's a bloody silly idea for people like me! I was never the most accurate typist and now that I have lost virtually all my central vision in my left eye I am even worse. I am 70 next week so I don't see my skills getting any better now. I click, copy and paste as much as I can.

As for "What did the Romans ev....Sorry! Win 10 do for us? Well I said the same thing about 98se, did not want XP (especially when it wouldn't run my printer!) Very soon of course we all thought XP was the best thing since bread *** cut.

Now all I need is some time to try the bloody thing!

Well I'll be jiggered! That is the first time I have seen censorship in HR! Compared to other words I think "see yoo emm" is very tame and I did not even mean it in the sense of the mind that censored it.

I once was describing a noise on a forum as a "chink" and if that gets trashed I mean the same word as in a "bit" of light. P C gone mad!

Dave.

You can pin just about anything to either your start menu or your taskbar, so once you find what you're looking for, right-click it and select "pin to start menu" or wherever you want to pin it. Then you don't have to go searching for it after that.

Back