Wimdows 10, diving in.

I have had no issues with windows 10 professional.

This includes all the adobe stuff (wife has the full suite for work) and cubase.

Actually I think cubase runs a little better than it used to, but IDK.

Same here, pretty much. I haven't run into any limitations for hardware compatibility on my 2 machines that used to run Win7 and Win8.1.

The only Win10 hiccup I ran into was some update that installed and killed the network cards on both machines. I rolled back to a previous restore point (first time ever, in all of my years of using Windows!) and they've worked fine ever since. It was one of those eyebrow-raising moments. Many curse words were uttered. But ultimately they ended up fine afterwards.

I agree that W10 is an excellent OS, at least that is what I hear from many professionals in the audio business, maybe THE best Windows for audio yet? It is just that I no longer have the time, energy and patience to find everything and how it works AGAIN!
I mean, WHY changed Task Manager FCS? It worked fine as was in W7 and is a little use progg' that surely could have been left alone. That is the problem all the way down the line...NOTHING is the same.

It is a bit like buying a new car and finding the pedals are swapped around, the indicators are in the door cards and the lights switches are on the passenger side in the glove box!

No, I had enough trouble weaning myself off XP (still prefer it!) and I shall keep W7 until a change is forced upon me as was W7 from XP.

Dave.

I don't know why everyone felt the need to catch the free upgrade.
I mean...OK, it's free...but it's not going to cost a whole lot to just buy the damn thing if/when you REALLY need to make the switch, rather than doing it on Microsoft's timeline. :D

They are already going to a subscription model for the enterprise and biz/pro versions...and that "for now" the home version of 10 will not be charged any monthly fees....but I'll bet anyone that within a year or two, or when it's time to do the next "patch/upgrade"...get ready for the monthly fees.
Also...there probably will never be another "version" of Windows...and MS will just issue occasional "patch upgrades" and with everyone hooked into their online installation and subscription model people will just be forced to keep accepting the changes on Microsoft's timeline.

Anyway...we're not going to 10 until sometime next year at my day gig...but at home...I see NO compelling reason to switch to 10 now, even while it was "free".
I mean if I had been on 8/8.1...then maybe, as I hate that version....but Win 7 is solid and all my audio DAW stuff is set with Win 7 right now, so why fuck with just to make the switch...? :)

I don't know why everyone felt the need to catch the free upgrade.
I mean...OK, it's free...but it's not going to cost a whole lot to just buy the damn thing if/when you REALLY need to make the switch, rather than doing it on Microsoft's timeline. :D

They are already going to a subscription model for the enterprise and biz/pro versions...and that "for now" the home version of 10 will not be charged any monthly fees....but I'll bet anyone that within a year or two, or when it's time to do the next "patch/upgrade"...get ready for the monthly fees.
Also...there probably will never be another "version" of Windows...and MS will just issue occasional "patch upgrades" and with everyone hooked into their online installation and subscription model people will just be forced to keep accepting the changes on Microsoft's timeline.

Anyway...we're not going to 10 until sometime next year at my day gig...but at home...I see NO compelling reason to switch to 10 now, even while it was "free".
I mean if I had been on 8/8.1...then maybe, as I hate that version....but Win 7 is solid and all my audio DAW stuff is set with Win 7 right now, so why fuck with just to make the switch...? :)

I agree with you Mir'. It is similar to having a studio with 3 32 track Studers and 1/2 dozen 2track mastering machines and going over to the latest "Wundertape"! Lot of line up work.

The W10 swicharoo HAS broken some of my programs. My old slippers Samplitude 8SE won't activate. I MIGHT get another code out of MAGIX but who knows? Similarly Sam Silver Cloud is borked and a repair did not fix it. Sam Pro X Silver HAS repaired however.

I am just a Home Bod Mr M so the switch was worth it to me as £150 maybe £200 is a significant sum. In any case, despite the time, and frustrations the work was er, Interesting!

Dave.

Dave seems to have high RTC (Resistance To Change), which is a good trait in some instances. :) It's called loyalty in some circles. Although change is inevitable, I'm not going to change over to 10 on this machine ever... My first experience was so harrowing that unless I purposefully build a new machine with 10 I will never see it.

Dave seems to have high RTC (Resistance To Change), which is a good trait in some instances. :) It's called loyalty in some circles. Although change is inevitable, I'm not going to change over to 10 on this machine ever... My first experience was so harrowing that unless I purposefully build a new machine with 10 I will never see it.

I can cope with change! Just think "If it ain't broke"? It is not that I MIND a new OS from Ms it is just the blasted fact that it is SO unlike W7 that bugs me and that cannot surely be necessary?

And "I" was educated in the fps units system but at the grand old age of about 20 fully embraced mks. Then I had to have a rethink and get ny head around SI! Don't tell ME I can't change! (then there was the very badly done money decimalization!)

Is the US going metric any time soon?

Dave.

Sometimes there are compelling reasons to change...to upgrade...but many do it just because they want the new shiny thing.

I was reading about Apple's plans for iPhone releases...and it's amusing how much of them are just repacks of the same old guts.
They go out of their way to release some new shiny thing on a regularly timed release schedule...because that's how they keep the profits coming, and they know that the majority will opt for that new shiny thing.

Early Win10 was scary. Now it's fine, even good. The reason they made the free period stop now was due to the major upgrade / new features about to be released on the next "update Tuesday".

Oops, forgot to mention that there IS one problem with W10 still. Some people complain of very slow disk to disk copying (internal to internal). I have that issue, and forums tell me it is their Malware executable causing that -- and no real way to stop it (on the user side)

Oops, forgot to mention that there IS one problem with W10 still. Some people complain of very slow disk to disk copying (internal to internal). I have that issue, and forums tell me it is their Malware executable causing that -- and no real way to stop it (on the user side)

Interesting, One thing I've found is the transfer from an internal disk to a USB3 external HDD is noticeably faster.

I can cope with change! Just think "If it ain't broke"? It is not that I MIND a new OS from Ms it is just the blasted fact that it is SO unlike W7 that bugs me and that cannot surely be necessary?

And "I" was educated in the fps units system but at the grand old age of about 20 fully embraced mks. Then I had to have a rethink and get ny head around SI! Don't tell ME I can't change! (then there was the very badly done money decimalization!)

Is the US going metric any time soon?

Dave.

Sorry, what I said was meant to be a compliment...

I changed because I was moving from OSX to Windows and saw no reason to stick with a OS that will eventually become obsolete.

Back on Windows 10, I can report that I'm one of the lucky ones. My install of Windows 10 Professional 64 bit went smoothly--the only software issue I had was that, for some reason, the app I use for live theatre playback suddenly got a warning from my AV software but that was quickly fixed. All my audio and video related stuff (Audition, Ableton, Premiere Pro) worked fine without any changes and my various interface hardware also works fine with no changes to drivers. I've gradually used most of the other software on my DAW machine (there's not too much...I try to keep it pretty clean) has worked so far too.

Beyond that, I'm finding some other things I like, some big, some little. My boot time is around halved, My C: HDD suddenly has about 200 gig more spare space (and I can't find anything missing), items on the task bar get a little blue underline when the programme is open which is surprisingly useful at times and a bunch of other small items.

All in all, I'm glad I took the chance (and even more glad I was one of the lucky ones because I've heard various horror stories).

Just a word of warning to anyone who hasn't applied last Tuesday's Windows Update yet-- it's a big one, and will take several hours to apply, similar to the time it took you to download and install the original Windows 10 update.

Also, I had trouble installing it manually on my desktop computer. I've always liked to check for updates manually whenever I log onto my computers, even though I have them set to update automatically. However, it's been my experience that it's best to let Windows download and install updates automatically (if you've got it set to do so) rather than using the "Check for updates" option, at least as far as the larger updates are concerned. Furthermore, it appears that this major Windows 10 anniversary update is being rolled out in stages, just as the original Windows 10 update was, so don't expect it to show up on all of your computers at the same time.

Note that applying the update will essentially put your computer out of commission while it's being installed, although that's only after you restart the computer and let the update install. In other words, you can let the update download and do its "preparing to install" thing in the background while you use your computer, but don't restart your computer afterward unless you're okay with letting it be tied up for several hours while the update is being applied-- e.g., it ran for over 6 or 7 hours on my laptop last night. When you get the notification that your computer needs to be restarted to finish applying the update, you might want to schedule the restart for whatever day and time is best for you.

So all you people that went for the free 10...get ready, here comes the first auto-update - Windows 10 Anniversary Update.
It looks like it's a fairly "mild" update...but this was what I wasn't excited about with 10...Microsoft will now control everything with your OS updates...and I bet if you try an avoid it, you'll get all kinds of pop-ups and whatnot.

What to expect when the Windows 10 Anniversary Update installs itself on your computer

I tend to agree but "What'yer Gonna Do?" I suspect the vast majority of W10 users will not mind/never notice the Ms shennanegins tis only "power users" like sound and video people that have problems and they tend to find solutions. Microsoft have never made things easy for the MEEJA people (they say Bill Gate's granny was frightened by a saxophone player) .

Then don't underestimate the hackers? They were pretty quick to bring out GWX to stop the W10 nagging.

Of course there is a possibility that Ms will so fuck the OS up for professionals such as yourself that there is a mass migration to macs and Linux? In which case they might pause for thought? Happened before. Remember the Great XP Rollback Option for Blista?

Dave.

Back