Wimdows 10, diving in.

Okay, I just resolved one nit by going into Windows-R and typing "netplwiz" and unchecking the "Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer" box. The other requires me to do some manipulation in the Registry as detailed HERE. Hope that helps others who have the same problem. Have been warned that this will keep me from being able to sync settings and data across multiple Windows devices.
Don't care. Don't need the system shutting down in the middle of a recording and requiring a password to turn the record button off...That's a big FAIL from me, Microsoft!

I upgraded to 10 on my music computer, besides a graphics card issue that required replacing, I had no problems. My 1800 is working perfect and I did not upgrade any drivers. You use the term footprint, I have no idea what that means.

I have pretty old computers, but I had no issues with 4 of them. On one of my older ones, I was getting issues and had to restore back to Win7 several times, no problem. Once I replaced the graphics card, the computer upgraded and is very stable.

Once you start messing with the registry, if you don't know what you are doing (I mean expert mode), you are asking for big time trouble.

Footprint is how much of your computer the OS requires to operate. 10 seems to be stomping...:)
Don't know why I'm having the problems. Might have to look into Reason as the culprit. We'll see. I think I resolved my two nits. Now that I can't go back, I'm going to put my effort into it. Need to find that article on batch files in Windows.

And yes, I may not be considered "expert" any more, but I'm pretty sure what I'm doing in the registry...especially if I'm following someone else' lead. I'm a pianist...I understand keys. :laughings:

Wow, I can't say that I've encountered any of those issues (except the log-in screen, which I promptly disabled in one of the options menus). I think that the system timing out and entering either a suspend/sleep/screen saver would be under power options. You can tell it to never turn off the display, never go to sleep, etc. And if your session is timing out, I think that's in the same options menu as the "don't require user to log in" option. I can dig around and find those at some point today.

Footprint is how much of your computer the OS requires to operate. 10 seems to be stomping...:)
Don't know why I'm having the problems. Might have to look into Reason as the culprit. We'll see. I think I resolved my two nits. Now that I can't go back, I'm going to put my effort into it. Need to find that article on batch files in Windows.

And yes, I may not be considered "expert" any more, but I'm pretty sure what I'm doing in the registry...especially if I'm following someone else' lead. I'm a pianist...I understand keys. :laughings:

I suspect that is your major problem, you've gone in and edited the registry incorrectly in Win7 and it is showing up with these legacy issues that Win10 can't resolve. If it were me, I would go in and have a trusted registry program fix any registry issues before I did anything else. At least that way you can get it out of the way and eliminate a potential problem.

But if you don't see that as an issue, keep fixing it. Like I stated, I have done 4 of various ages and capacities and not any problems other than graphic card needing changed.

Windows 10 is now downloading on my machine. I'm currently taking an image of my C drive so I can roll back.

Well, I changed 1 (one) registry entry from 0 to 1. If that caused all the problems I've been having since before I changed it, I guess it's my fault.

Well, I changed 1 (one) registry entry from 0 to 1. If that caused all the problems I've been having since before I changed it, I guess it's my fault.

Well, it shouldn't make it that big of an issue, but like I have said, the registry is fickle. Still might want to run a registry program to make sure there isn't any issues. Based on your equipment description, you should have a fast, stable machine in Win10.

Yes, and all the problems existed before the registry correction (which got rid of the problems I was having). Next problem solve. The footprint issue was resolved by upping my buffers (higher latency is a bummer :(). I'm uninstalling Reason and will reinstall on one of the SSD drives so it can access more faster. Hope that makes a difference.

Also, did one more registry fix to enable the System unattended sleep timeout protocol and get rid of the 2 minute screen blank if I don't type or move the mouse. YAY!
There are some (12) unrepairable registry problems, but they existed prior to upgrade...
Anyway, agree this computer should be fast and stable. All other things (besides Vegas) I do require very little of it (MusicBee, Firefox, eSword, Ooo)...that's pretty much all I do.
Just checked in Vegas. Running 6 channels of sound + two video and running video preview in full screen on the second monitor had no glitches. Problem is def with Reason. We shall see. :)

I put my OS and my application on SSD, working files and project on standard HD. Seems to make a difference.

As a general rule, since programs are built in a modular approach, not everything gets loaded at start of run time. The programs also do some type of RAM management, load/unload as required. All that said, loading your applications to SSD will make a difference. Ableton, which is a hog, loads up in about 10 seconds, I get no HD slowness messages and is very stable and responsive. If you have the room, I would definitely load my apps on the SSD. Let the program buffer in RAM the working content.

Yeah, I have multiple SSDs. One has the Scratch file directory and project files. One has the sound banks and VSTs. Going to load the main program on the second (83GB free). Still have 2 hours for the Reason Download, and nothing to do but listen to Clinic...tough day! :)

Yeah, I have multiple SSDs. One has the Scratch file directory and project files. One has the sound banks and VSTs. Going to load the main program on the second (83GB free). Still have 2 hours for the Reason Download, and nothing to do but listen to Clinic...tough day! :)

I am sure every appreciates the listens. :)

Also, did one more registry fix to enable the System unattended sleep timeout protocol and get rid of the 2 minute screen blank if I don't type or move the mouse. YAY!
There are some (12) unrepairable registry problems, but they existed prior to upgrade...
Anyway, agree this computer should be fast and stable. All other things (besides Vegas) I do require very little of it (MusicBee, Firefox, eSword, Ooo)...that's pretty much all I do.

1. Why would one go into the registry to "fix" a screen timeout? Just right click the power icon (battery-looking thing), select "Power Options" and then change the default to whatever you want it to be. DO NOT mess with the registry, especially if you do not know what you are doing.
1a. I am not on my desktop now, so I cannot say if there is this icon in the notification area or not on a desktop PC. If not, then go into Control Panel and do it from there. NOT the "fake" windows 10 overlay on the control panel, but Right Click the Start button and select control panel from there.

2. Based on my experience with Win10, I can see that there is a lot of incorrect information in this thread. Oh well, I don't want to correct everything, but the important one involves the "edge browser". Why use that? IE is still on the computer -- and it DOES allow the add-ons.

3. at any rate, Win10 is a great OS now -- not so much so in the early days of it. After you take an image of your old computer -- there is no reason to upgrade.... go for a clean install instead. Benefits: 1) Small footprint, as your old OS is not still there. 2) Any mistakes (read crap from installed / uninstalled apps, self-induced registry changes, etc.) are no longer on the box, so you don't have to depend on the OS to work around them or worse -- account for them and give you issues with your installation.

4. all of the stuff that folks are worried about concerning the OS "phoning home" can be turned off.

5. you can get rid of the Password being needed at boot up, but to be honest that is not really smart. instead, just have one and then use the feature of a PIN code that will bypass you ever having to type in a password again at boot up or resume from sleep.

6. when installing Windows 10. You should manually check for updates after each time updates are installed after initial installation. Sounds dumb, but for some reason this OS does not scan for new drivers at the get-go. It tends to wait until a few reboots after you are already up and running. just reboot a few times, update, reboot, etc. Then your system will be perfectly up and running with no issues.

I could type out more, but there is a Martini calling my name now... (a REAL one, made with Gin and the threat of Vermouth)...

" there is no reason to upgrade.... go for a clean install instead. Benefits: 1) Small footprint, as your old OS is not still there. 2) Any mistakes (read crap from installed / uninstalled apps, self-induced registry changes, etc.) are no longer on the box, so you don't have to depend on the OS to work around them or worse -- account for them and give you issues with your installation."

Does not a "clean install" involve a formatted hard drive and a copy of W10? CAN you download a copy of 10 in abstraction and say, burn it to disc?

Dave.

1. Why would one go into the registry to "fix" a screen timeout? Just right click the power icon (battery-looking thing), select "Power Options" and then change the default to whatever you want it to be. DO NOT mess with the registry, especially if you do not know what you are doing.
1a. I am not on my desktop now, so I cannot say if there is this icon in the notification area or not on a desktop PC. If not, then go into Control Panel and do it from there. NOT the "fake" windows 10 overlay on the control panel, but Right Click the Start button and select control panel from there.

2. Based on my experience with Win10, I can see that there is a lot of incorrect information in this thread. Oh well, I don't want to correct everything, but the important one involves the "edge browser". Why use that? IE is still on the computer -- and it DOES allow the add-ons.

3. at any rate, Win10 is a great OS now -- not so much so in the early days of it. After you take an image of your old computer -- there is no reason to upgrade.... go for a clean install instead. Benefits: 1) Small footprint, as your old OS is not still there. 2) Any mistakes (read crap from installed / uninstalled apps, self-induced registry changes, etc.) are no longer on the box, so you don't have to depend on the OS to work around them or worse -- account for them and give you issues with your installation.

4. all of the stuff that folks are worried about concerning the OS "phoning home" can be turned off.

5. you can get rid of the Password being needed at boot up, but to be honest that is not really smart. instead, just have one and then use the feature of a PIN code that will bypass you ever having to type in a password again at boot up or resume from sleep.

6. when installing Windows 10. You should manually check for updates after each time updates are installed after initial installation. Sounds dumb, but for some reason this OS does not scan for new drivers at the get-go. It tends to wait until a few reboots after you are already up and running. just reboot a few times, update, reboot, etc. Then your system will be perfectly up and running with no issues.

I could type out more, but there is a Martini calling my name now... (a REAL one, made with Gin and the threat of Vermouth)...

Your post makes zero (0) sense to me. If System unattended sleep timeout does not exist in the settings, how can I change it without adding it? The rest has no bearing whatsoever to do with my post you quoted (that I can ascertain from your words).

Yes you can download a copy of it for your PC without going through the upgrade process.

A clean install does not necessarily have to involve formatting your HD, but if you take an image of it, it should not matter.

Broken_H: I don't know why you cannot see the settings area I am talking about. Do you have the "home" version? If so, that MAY be the reason. Either way, I made it easy to understand what I am referring to -- I recorded the steps to get there. They are at this link: https://app.box.com/s/8nyscj0pcxec865oveou3y9hcjxq7ihd

As for the remaining aspects of my post not making sense, that remainder was kinda meant to any of the readers in the thread and not particularly directed at you. It was because there is a lot of confusion and/or misinformation out there regarding Windows10. For example, the worry about using Microsoft Edge browser -- if you look at the screen steps I sent, you will note that there is an IE icon placed right next to the Edge icon. (EDIT: I put the icon there, it does not come there by default. But the program IS in Windows 10.)

I should not have selected "Reply" from there, but rather just added another post to the thread.

((note: for the curious out there, anyone can produce a step-by-step recording like I just did from within ANY version of Windows pro (7, 8, 8.1, 10....). Just go to the search and type in psr.exe. It may be there in the Home versions too, but I don't know. I never have had a home version, just Pro or Enterprise versions.))

Just completed a marathon W10 install and revert back to W7 otherwise I would have to PAY for 10 in the future!
First up was my living room PC an Asus M4N68T with an AMD 3G 2 core CPU. I used Macrium Reflect free software to clone the 240G SSD system drive to a 7200rpm internal drive., Very Painless.

Next came some hopps because I was told W10 could not run with my Geforce 7025 graphics card. Some investigation found a driver set that was supposed to fix it but to run the Windows Media Creation Tool first. That did it and I never did need the driver!

After a loooong time I had W10 dldd and running then tried to revert back to W7. They don't like it up 'em Mr Mannerin'! But eventually I succeeded and all seems back to normal. Oh! Had to fight to get Google as my default search engine, Ms don't want you to do that!

Next, with great trepidation, my main (unused largely now) music PC. Asus M5A97 CPU AMD Black 6 core 2.4G.
First issue, Macrium would not make a rescue disc but I decided to press on. Had to buy a new 1TB drive but everything else went as the first PC (no graph card silliness this time!) . Was dead in the chair last night so left the W7 swap till this morning. All seems fine.

So, saved myself some £150 I hope. I am leaving my HP i3 laptop as W7 for ever. I am not going to buy another 1TB 2.5" drive for the clone. If the laptop is still worthy in 2021 I shall buy W10.

Dave.

Well, I woke up this morning firmly resolved to stay on Windows 7 until my computer dies--then I had an online conversation with two friends who do sound for a living. Despite have said all along that they'd never go to Windows 10, both had done the upgrade this morning.

So, with 29 minutes left before the free upgrade offer ended, I changed to Windows 10. So far so good. Audition, Premiere Pro, Photoshop and Ableton are work as they should. I had to re-install a programme called Show Cue System that I use for live theatre playback (for some reason my antivirus to exception to the existing install) but that was the only problem so far.

It's now bed time. More playing tomorrow (but the fact that you're seeing this from a Windows 10 machine is a good sign.

Back