Wimdows 10, diving in.

Reaper. Worked, makes noises but NOT with ASIO drivers. I can select Delta ASIO but there are no inputs nor outputs in the boxes. Works ok with other drivers but I bet latency will be poor.

Presonus Firepods are discontinued, but the 5.13 XP drivers work for Win 7, and, to my relief also for Win 10. So I have managed to get Reaper + Firepod working fine in Win 10. Elsewhere I mentioned that though this combination works, I have had some difficulties with some plug ins. Specially some DX ones.

Found a bit of time yesterday night and installed the KA6 drivers.
Nay bother, I had dldd them and burned them to a CD on another W7 machine. Took a while to find "Computer" then all my drives and then stick up a shortcut to the CD drive (don't want to go thru THAT fekkin bother again!) .
Click on NI setup. Warning NOT to have AI connected* wasn't. Ran software, went like paint. Plugged in KA6. Bing! Tharr she blows! Fired up Samplitude Silver and played the demo multitracks, clean as... Shut down Sam, opened BFD Eco and played a "groove". Bit of a click, increased latency a smidge to 256 samples, fine. I dare say a bit more time and fiddling could get 256 lower? In any case I have NO idea what other crap W10 is running without my knowledge? It is in any case not a super fast PC, 2x 2.7G 4G ram.

Had a bit of a play with Edge and the internet. Found my emails. I hope I can have Google as default search engine?

Now have "Win Ten For Dummies" and it seems I really should get a Microsoft account? Will do that on another PC today.

So, tis interesting but SO different from W7, needlessly so IMHO. I shall not change any more machines from 7.

Dave.

Thanks for the update, Dave. Convinced me to stay with W7 until I have no choice.

Probably wise! Bit more info. I have left the PC running Radio 3 all afternoon and it has not missed a beat (now 16:20 here) except a sort of "ClangWhooshe" noise about 3 hours ago. Leapt (Ha! din't) to the QWERTY and found "Banner Sounds" all were on. Now all off and no more clangs.

Apparently there is a big update scheduled today for Ten? I guess I shall know more when I power down. Will report.

Dave.

I've installed the major update on my 2 PCs now. When I tried to force it, it failed to install once on each machine. But after a couple of reboots and a rather lengthy install process, they're both back up and running smoothly.

Looks like the update adds a few features that'll just be turned off by most savvy users. Like the "suggested apps" in the start menu, basically advertisements for the app store. It has some improvements to Edge, but still no browser plugin support (no AdBlock = no use for me). And looks like they improved memory management and made other performance improvements.

i got win10 on a new (to me) pc bout 3 weeks ago ... made a disk image for backup purposes,played around on win10 for a day or 2 then pulled the hard drive ... its still on the floor :D

pc i got was to upgrade my long in the tooth XP system (older hardware compatibility) its a 3ghz dual core with 2 gig ram,win10 is slooow and steppy ... imo if your pc is similar spec don't bother upgrading .. for comparison XP runs like shit off a shovel ... progress eh?

I bet it's the small amount of RAM that computer has that's making Win10 run slow. The poor thing is spending all of its time swapping data in and out of memory, not leaving much time to accomplish anything else. They've improved the memory usage on Win10 since release, moreso with this week's update, but just like Win7 and Win8 after it, memory requirements are only rising. Plop another 2GB of RAM in that machine if it'll take it, that can only improve how modern Windows will run on it. I was just gaming on one of my machines. I quit everything but Chrome, and I'm running at a baseline of 4GB of mem usage out of 32GB available.

i got win10 on a new (to me) pc bout 3 weeks ago ... made a disk image for backup purposes,played around on win10 for a day or 2 then pulled the hard drive ... its still on the floor :D

pc i got was to upgrade my long in the tooth XP system (older hardware compatibility) its a 3ghz dual core with 2 gig ram,win10 is slooow and steppy ... imo if your pc is similar spec don't bother upgrading .. for comparison XP runs like shit off a shovel ... progress eh?

Hmm? Well as I have said, this is an AMD ll 2.7G 2 core and I have not noticed any reduction in speed. It takes a while to boot up but then I think it did with W7/64, got a LOT of ***t on it!

I have just dropped the KA6 latency to 128 samples and BFD Eco plays a kit as fast as I can click/move the mouse and no hangs or noises. No sign of any update last night or at boot this morning.

Dave.

the disk i bunged in had a clone image of my win7 main pc (quad core 6gig ram) i played with that for an hour or 2 and it ran that no problem .. i formatted that disk and put xp on

win10 steppy on 2 gig,win7 plays ok but xp was well happy :D

This HP W7/64 laptop is presently running Radio 3 (thru a Bluetooth sound bar) The i3 CPU (2core 2.4G HT enabled) is topping out at 12% but ram runs 38% of 8G of DDR3.

It seems to me then that a PC will use as much available physical ram as it needs before going to a paging file? Is it likely that Cake's' PC is running short on both?

BTW Speccy reports: "Hyperthread enable" but "Visualization Disabled" Anyone know what that last means please?

Dave.

This HP W7/64 laptop is presently running Radio 3 (thru a Bluetooth sound bar) The i3 CPU (2core 2.4G HT enabled) is topping out at 12% but ram runs 38% of 8G of DDR3.

It seems to me then that a PC will use as much available physical ram as it needs before going to a paging file? Is it likely that Cake's' PC is running short on both?

BTW Speccy reports: "Hyperthread enable" but "Visualization Disabled" Anyone know what that last means please?

Dave.

Does it say virtualization? This is technology for running virtual machines that might not be available on your CPU. Otherwise, it might be switched off in the BIOS, if your BIOS allows it, some don't in low end machines. Otherwise, it can be available and enabled, but not appearing to work due to anti-virus issues (I had an issue with Avast), which is easily fixed.

Last edited:
Thanks Johnny, yes! Does say "vIrtualization"! (bloody ARMD!).

Ok, not something I know Jack about and need even less, can stay safely buried!

Dave.

Reading through this has reinforced my decision to stick with 7 until I have no choice. It took me long enough to get my modded emu 1820 pci system working glitch free on windows 7!

Following: Thinking about doing the wife's system first. She does mostly games. No major driver issues expected there...

Few huge nits. Couple footprint problems. Decided to go back to 7 after less than 48 hours, and it says it can't because some files that were necessary were deleted...??? :confused:
I didn't delete anything.
The whole "Going back is easy and you can do it at any time." thing is a complete lie. Has to be done withing 30 days, and obviously, there was never an intention to let you go back.
I'll see if I can restore 7 on my days off.

I mean, I've got an 8 core AMD with 10Gig of memory, and all of a sudden all my music won't play because the systems too slow? That's a bit of a footprint problem. I have two SSDs, one for sound files (sound banks, sound fonts, etc) and one that only has my "Documents" folder. Worked great under 7. The system literally lets Reason read from one SSD and write to another, should be flawlessly fast. I realize that the multi-core support only uses two cores...don't know why they didn't allow more...but it should still not have a problem there with 8 to choose from. Tested my memory yesterday and found no faults. Only thing I can think of is possibly the driver for the 1800 is not up to snuff. Everything works, but I can't get more than 30 seconds out of Reason before it says my system is too slow. Used to get that problem if I ran 30+ tracks with lots of EQ and compressors, but I'm even trying to run songs that were never a problem and it dumps...

AFA nits, I don't like a log-in screen. My studio computer had/has a slow boot drive and it takes a minute to get up to speed. Since my internet computer trashed, I need this one to pull double duty, so it takes a while to boot. I want to turn on my computer and come back a few minutes later and find my desktop waiting. No passwords. No login. No hit enter to start. Personal thing, but I can't make 10 do that. It's a modified HP, but installing an SSD as a boot drive on an HP was a challenge, so I just started turning the computer on, making coffee, and coming back.

Ten also is locking up on occasion when it starts. I'll come back after my few minutes and find a cursor flashing on the screen. Turn off, start over.

So, yeah. It's possible, since the US-1800 isn't on the list, but was reported to work with 10, that I could have a driver issue. It plays music fine, but won't let Reason do it's thing, which might mean I need to look at finding an upgrade for Reason to work better with 10. AFA compatibility, I just want my desktop to be there when I walk in the room with my coffee. Doesn't seem too much to ask, so maybe I'm incompatible with Windows 10. :(

EDIT:
Oh, yeah. The other nit. Stupid blackout screen while I'm sitting reading. Anyone know how to shut that off? Takes me back to the login screen. That's a big FAIL from me, Microsoft!

Okay, I just resolved one nit by going into Windows-R and typing "netplwiz" and unchecking the "Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer" box. The other requires me to do some manipulation in the Registry as detailed HERE. Hope that helps others who have the same problem. Have been warned that this will keep me from being able to sync settings and data across multiple Windows devices.
Don't care. Don't need the system shutting down in the middle of a recording and requiring a password to turn the record button off...That's a big FAIL from me, Microsoft!

Back