Wimdows 10, diving in.

Win7 will be going the way of WinXP before too terribly long.

Not for another 5 years....end of life is 2020 for Win 7.
I'll bet there will be another Win OS version by then...you could just as easily wait for the next version and still get your upgrade path...or worst case, wait until Win 7 is close to the end, and then decide which way to go. :)

Some people like to upgrade every time there's a new version. I prefer to run my current version close to the end, and then decide. Usually you can get what's newest at that time, or there's probably 1-2 other versions that came along after yours that still have some life...so you can pick what is at that time the most stable looking OS.
Who knows, when it gets close to 2020...it might be that Win 10 is the best choice to go from Win 7...or it may not.

So unless Win 10 has something you just can't live without right now.... ;)

I've only just (in the last year or so) gone up to Win7 from XP. I won't be touching 10 at all. By the time I upgrade, Microsoft will probably have a new standard out.

That's quite interesting and shocking at the same time. I've always kept updates to manual on all my machines. I like to know what's being installed.

Windows 10 doesn't appeal to me. Neither does Windows 8. The Mrs has 8 on a Touch Screen lappy. I'm not a fan of it at all. I'll stick with 7.

Win8 and 8.1 were pretty terrible. Win10 retains a lot of the cosmetics but tones down the silly Start menu so it's similar to the old Win7 menu (similar functionally, not cosmetically). Other than the addition of Cortana, which is pretty much a novelty, there isn't a huge leap between Win7 and Win10. There are some annoyances (for me, its mainly the Metro-style "apps" they're trying to push). And the method to get to the old familiar configuration pages is different.

Honestly I'm pretty happy with Win10 overall. It's fast, pretty slick, and versatile. But certainly not necessary over Win7. I'd say anyone that has Win8 should update immediately because it improves upon that version in every way.

I always keep all of my machines on auto update. I'm not studious enough to remember to regularly scan for and weed through updates. I say bring on the updates, and if anything annoys me, I'll get rid of it.

I think some of you don't understand why I have upgraded ONE(!) computer to W10?

I had setup a spare bedroom as a very modest studio for very musical son (now 43) so. long story short, it now contains two desktop PCs A near stock HP dual core 2.7G machine and a home build an Asus MOBO with an AMD Black 6300 6 core 3G CPU. NO WAY! Was I putting ten on that! But the older HP I hardly ever turned on so I decided to give ten a try. Ok, so I am very lucky to have an excess of computers but I don't use fags or booze (for a long time!

So...why not put the modern OS on the modern PC?

Morning Tad'. The Asus is my son's main music computer.The HP has files on it but they are saved elsewhere and in any case I did an image to a second internal drive and HP have a Recovery Partition that puts the machine back to factory gate status in extremis (just done that on the HP i3 laptop, super quick now) I did not therefore want to fork a machine that he will want to use on his visits from France and I am pretty sure he will not be "ten savvy" as all he owns is a busted XP laptop and he uses a friends MacBook!

I did not finish my piece last night when I came to post I got some ***t about an "expired token"?? Happened to me a few times before but ONLY on HR! So, I had more to say but this old, med rideen brain has not retained it (but I have a sort of "principle"? If I lose a post and can't recall the contents I was probably talking bllx anyway) .

Anyhoosydoosessss! I intend to get back on the W10 horse as soon as I finish here. See what this Edge is all about.

Dave.

Ah! The Joe is working. Maybe this is not cmpltbllx? ....
Re the longevity of W10: As I understand things it does small, incremental updates and therefore keeps ahead of the game? I do not think Msoft will bring out a radical new OS unless there is a big advance in technology that the OS cannot take advantage of.

As to W7 support till 2020? Yes but that does not mean it will cope with the next 5 years of hard and software advances. For instance, we have not seen USB 3.0 interfaces at "high street" prices yet and nothing for 3.1. It is entirely possible that in the next few years such devices will ONLY run on ten?

Dave.

As to W7 support till 2020? Yes but that does not mean it will cope with the next 5 years of hard and software advances. For instance, we have not seen USB 3.0 interfaces at "high street" prices yet and nothing for 3.1. It is entirely possible that in the next few years such devices will ONLY run on ten?

Dave.

It all depends on how much you feel the need to keep chasing the upgrade tail.
I've got Win7 on my new DAW...everything (hardware & software) is on it that I need, and I can run with it for the next 10 years or more if I want to.

That's what my original question was asking...what are you getting with 10 that you feel you need...VS...just chasing the upgrade tail? :)
That's the problem with upgrades...one leads to another....it's a domino effect.

AFA security stuff when you run your computers online...well, that's something different.
My DAW never, ever touches the internet....so I don't really need to chase patches and security upgrades etc.

I guess the other question is...are we talking about Win 10 for your home-do-everything computer....or specifically for DAW use?
My focus is on DAW use, since this is HR. For home/internet use...you could get anything, because you don't need to update all your hardware and apps just to browse the net...etc.

Yes well, I have been at pains Mir' to point out that I am NOT chasing an upgrade path!

I can see no reason to change any of my other W7 computers to 10. Had it NOT been a free upgrade and had I NOT had a spare machine I should not have bothered.

Dave.

I am on a Win10 upgrade path mainly to get all of my computers on the same OS. With Win10 feeling very much like Win7, I go to any of my computers and they are all the same.

I lose some knowledge from the old OSes, but I can live with that. I have lost so many brain cells and forgotten so much, at this point it is not an issue ;)

I would probably try Win10 if I had a spare computer kicking around like Dave does. If it proved to be not something useful I'd probably dump it and give Linux a go which I've never tried. Other than that I have no interest in upgrading from Win7 which does everything I need it to do. If it ain't broke don't go trying to fix it :).

I have tried the Linux, for recording, the support still isn't 100% there. Main obstacle is the USB interface. Not all interfaces are 100% USB compliant, therefore won't work with Linux without some driver. Manufacturers don't seem to be making them for Linux.

Yes well, I have been at pains Mir' to point out that I am NOT chasing an upgrade path!

I can see no reason to change any of my other W7 computers to 10. Had it NOT been a free upgrade and had I NOT had a spare machine I should not have bothered.

Dave.

Don't take it like a negative...:)...lots of people follow/chase a set upgrade path. There are reasons when it is necessary.

I'm just trying to get a sense of what 10 does for you (or anyone here) that 7 can't.

Win 10 GUI is way different than 7. And since DOS is still the OS, it's really down to the window dressing you like.
But then they did add a lot of "features" to 10 that were not in 7. Take them or leave them.
There’s nothing in 10 I needed over 7.
For me it was the upgrade over the net I wanted to see. I still had a bad taste over the upgrade from XP to 7, where in all may apps were overwritten, including my 3rd party virus protection.
The 7 to 10 upgrade is light years of improvement over the load-a-disk method of before. Plus the free antivirus seems to work really well, but I was on ME before.

Win 10 GUI is way different than 7. And since DOS is still the OS, it's really down to the window dressing you like.

This is incorrect. Windows is the DOS (Disk Operating System) and not since Windows 3.1 has Windows been an overlay for MSDOS. The functionality for the legacy MSDOS commands became embedded into the OS of Windows. Going from 8, then 16, then 32, then 64, there is a lot more than window dressing going on these days. And has been a lot more than just GUI for the last 15+ years.

This is incorrect. Windows is the DOS (Disk Operating System) and not since Windows 3.1 has Windows been an overlay for MSDOS. The functionality for the legacy MSDOS commands became embedded into the OS of Windows. Going from 8, then 16, then 32, then 64, there is a lot more than window dressing going on these days. And has been a lot more than just GUI for the last 15+ years.
It's all POV. Dude I been around before Bill Gates was born. Save me the history lesson. If it walks like a duck...

It's all POV. Dude I been around before Bill Gates was born. Save me the history lesson. If it walks like a duck...

It wasn't a history lesson, it was the technology path.

Whether you were around before BG, well not sure how that is relevant, but sure. I wouldn't argue that.

Did some more work this morning (5am!).

Neither Samplitude Silver nor Pro x Silver will run. Cubase Elements 6 says to update the Elicenser but eventually opens and I could play a drum track, it would not however let me set the 2496 as ASIO Delta driver.

After some investigation I dldd the latest W7/64 driver from M-A and ran it. First removing the existing driver then installing anew. Reboot.

All cool at startup so next job to investigate Cubase. Seems 10 kills the E licenser so I dlddd the latest one, installed fine. Cubase opened with no warnings and I was able to set "Delta ASIO". Ran the MIDI drum track, fine. Tried to close it to find something else, bugger, Cubase not responding (BTW do NOT like the new 10 Task Manager! Too busy).

Reaper. Worked, makes noises but NOT with ASIO drivers. I can select Delta ASIO but there are no inputs nor outputs in the boxes. Works ok with other drivers but I bet latency will be poor.

Downloaded trial of Samplitude Pro X 2. Nice! Runs 2496 ASIO, can't afford it.

My next job is to install the NI KA6 interface. If there is no solution to the 2496 issue that will probably become the default soundcard.

So far? Pissed off with 10, good to have it for larnin' but I would hate to HAVE to have it!

Dave.

Back