What are your top 10 most influential albums?

Hey ken have you heard walking through heaven's gate by glen david andrews? Great gospel recording, that guy is an awesome talent. Cousins with trombone shorty, talent runs in that family. . .

1. Black Sabbath Paranoid
2. Deep Purple Made in Japan
3. Kiss Alive!
4. Kiss Destroyer
5. Kansas Two for the Show
6. Metal Church Metal Church
7. Stryper To Hell with the Devil
8. Metallica Master of Puppets
9. Metallica Black Album
10. Pantera Vulgar Display of Power

In chronological order.

Armistice's top 13, no order:

Television Marquee Moon
Go-Betweens Spring Hill Fair
Elliott Smith (s/t, 1995, Kill Rock Stars)
Porcupine Tree The Sky Moves Sideways
Magazine Real Life
Jethro Tull Thick as a Brick
Sigur Ros Takk..
Steely Dan Gaucho
Radiohead OK Computer
Patti Smith Horses
Joni Mitchell The Hissing of Summer Lawns
The Apartments A Life Full of Farewells
Orange Juice You Can't Hide Your Love Forever

Turns out you have a couple things in common with other members.

Armistice's top 13, no order:

Television Marquee Moon
Go-Betweens Spring Hill Fair
Elliott Smith (s/t, 1995, Kill Rock Stars)
Porcupine Tree The Sky Moves Sideways
Magazine Real Life
Jethro Tull Thick as a Brick
Sigur Ros Takk..
Steely Dan Gaucho
Radiohead OK Computer
Patti Smith Horses
Joni Mitchell The Hissing of Summer Lawns
The Apartments A Life Full of Farewells
Orange Juice You Can't Hide Your Love Forever

Turns out you have a couple things in common with other members.

1. Yep
2. I hate the Go Betweens (sorry ray...)
3. Perhaps XO or that era but good call
4. My least favourite PT album. More SW himself than PT but thematically a relevant choice
5. Nope. Magazine never really made in Oz. I was only vaguely aware of them
6. Yep
7. I have one SR album, the first. It's the reason I never bought another. Boring while trying to be 'prog' without actually being very musical
8. I do like that album, but Katy Lied we would be my pick
9. No doubt, although I hated it the first time I heard it
10. I have Easter, but not Horses. The only PS album I have. Not a huge fan.
11. Hejira > Hissing but although I heard it at the time I only really got into JM probably less than a decade ago. That said, "Shades of Scarlett Conquering" is a fave
12. Nope. Never heard it.
13. Never heard of them, sorry.

So you got a few, not bad, but nothing particularly out there either.:D

Tom Waits Blue Valentines
Weddings Parties Anything Roaring Days
Billy Bragg Worker's Playtime
Elvis Costello Imperial Bedroom
Blue Oyster Cult On Your Feet Or On Your Knees
Velvet Underground 1969 Live

would probably get a look in. Thanks though!:thumbs up:

I've at least listened to all the albums on Farview's list. Liked older Blue Oyster Cult (through Agents of Fortune). Must've played Dominance and Submission 1,000 times at gigs when I was young.

Easlern: That style of gospel music all sounds alike to me. Don't listen to it much, and the "five words is all the lyrics you needs" style just actually pushes my wrong buttons. Take "Oh Lord I Love You" and sing every variation of those words for 8 1/2 minutes and I'll be running away...with exceptions. There's a song from Soulful Celebration that was on a WOW Christmas compilation that just has the word, "Hallelujah" and I absolutely LOVE that song.

Last edited:
In no particuliar order :

Revolver - The Beatles
The Nightfly - Donald Fagen
The Birth of Soul - Ray Charles
Tumbleweed Connection - Elton John
Silk Degrees - Boz Scaggs
Focus - Stan Getz
CTA - Chicago
Graceland - Paul Simon
Dark Side of the Moon - Pink Floyd
Brian Wilson Reimagines Gershwin - Brian Wilson

So you got a few, not bad, but nothing particularly out there either.:D

No, I got them all. You are just a little rusty on your faves. :)

You know, I probably could have done a better job but I was heading out for the weekend and wanted to throw something up. The Porcupine Tree and Sigur Ros albums I had to pick almost randomly because I know nothing about either band. Not sure why I always assumed you were this big Go-Betweens fan.. guess I was going by your older Jongoleurs stuff. And the last 2 albums were just wongo picks that would've looked awesome if I got them right. :o

Elvis Costello Imperial Bedroom

Wrong. You get off the MacManus express with Get Happy, with Blood and Chocolate being the only exception. In fact, Imperial Bedroom was the first Elvis album you ever actually did not like.

Velvet Underground 1969 Live

Sorry, wrong again. You only like Loaded and other people's covers of VU songs.

Just 'cos I mentioned them in my top 10 albums earlier. Was wondering if anyone else has heard the newest (I think its the newest) Bad Religion album - its called True North. Sounds just like a normal BR album but its still good.

Here's mine, not in any particular order....

1. Born of Osiris - the New Reign

2. Necrophagist - Epitaph

3. Periphery - Periphery II: This Time it's Personal

4. Buckethead - Population Override

5. Jimi Hendrix - Axis Bold as Love

6. He is Legend - Suck Out the Poison

7. After the Burial - Rareform

8. Within the Ruins - Elite

9. Memphis May Fire - the Hollow

10. Clutch - Robot Hive/Exodus

I've listened to all of these albums hundreds of times. I'm very not sorry about it.

Anyone find Rage against the Machine (self titled) influential? What an amazing record that is.

No, I got them all. You are just a little rusty on your faves. :)

You know, I probably could have done a better job but I was heading out for the weekend and wanted to throw something up. The Porcupine Tree and Sigur Ros albums I had to pick almost randomly because I know nothing about either band. Not sure why I always assumed you were this big Go-Betweens fan.. guess I was going by your older Jongoleurs stuff. And the last 2 albums were just wongo picks that would've looked awesome if I got them right. :o

Wrong. You get off the MacManus express with Get Happy, with Blood and Chocolate being the only exception. In fact, Imperial Bedroom was the first Elvis album you ever actually did not like.

Sorry, wrong again. You only like Loaded and other people's covers of VU songs.

Cool, thanks for straightening me out fat fleet - I've always had this overwhelming sense that I was wrong in life... it's much clearer to me now... :D

Cool, thanks for straightening me out fat fleet - I've always had this overwhelming sense that I was wrong in life... it's much clearer to me now... :D

Don't worry, I won't mention your secret obsession with Sarah McLachlan's Fumbling Toward Ecstasy that began when your girlfriend's workout mix got synced to your iPod Classic by mistake.

oops! :o

It's amazing how sometimes an outside observer can know things about us that we didn't know about ourselves...or some such psycho babble.

This is regarding mixing/mastering quality or "sounds" we like?

I'd put 30STM's This is War near my top for "clearly produced" and In Utero at the top for "cleverly produced to sound unproduced". :D

But yeah, those two albums are my personal favs for sound alone. But In Utero has the distinction of being my fav album of all time in any aspect whatsoever.

Back