Thread: Uh, album titles && song naming?

Thanks

Uh, album titles && song naming?

Sign in to disable this ad
    So to most people this is probably an easy question... I mean, how hard can it be to name an album and the songs on an album? Weeeellllllllll... I make electronic music. I mean there is no point to my music; generally no lyrics, and I make prog house. I don't like cheesy names; but I do like the thought of there being some kind of consistency that feels intentional... but I'm really struggling here. I may just start naming them what I call the projects, "yay FOR REAL 2 this time"

tl;dr: How do you name your music? What is your method? What are some suggestions you have?

Interested in your thoughts.

Thanks,

TheLurker
    My first album published December 22, 2016 - forrest MASH - Lost Without A Shepherd (Full Album)

Thanks
    On the other hand . . . a name may not be necessary.

Many classical composers didn't name their compositions, for example, it was just "Symphony No. 4 in Bb major" by Beethoven.

So if there is nothing about the music that suggests a mood, theme, or subject, simply call it "Electronic suite No 23" or whatever.

Thanks
    Cult of Squid Random Name Generator. It's meant for fantasy role playing applications, but some of the things it spits out are pretty interesting.

Thanks
    For electronic songs I've written, there's usually a sound that reminds me of something so I name it that thing. Like, I wrote something that sounded like moody or solemn outer space, so I named it after the ship from one of my favorite space movies the lead character traveled in.
    I'm only competing with the person I was yesterday.

Chicago area, probably looking for more coffee.
    Thanks
    I did a couple recordings back in the day that had all the titles based on a word --

WOOD -- There were tunes like "We Offer Only Drums" - "Wonderfully Obscure Okinawan Dance" - "Wailing Orchestra Of Doom" and what not. There was another based on another word that -- I've had a few tonight and I can't think of it at the moment. But there you go.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gecko zzed View Post
    On the other hand . . . a name may not be necessary.

Many classical composers didn't name their compositions, for example, it was just "Symphony No. 4 in Bb major" by Beethoven.

So if there is nothing about the music that suggests a mood, theme, or subject, simply call it "Electronic suite No 23" or whatever.
    I've had this same thought before... it just feels boring though and a lack of effort on my part to do that. It worked for Beethoven, but unfortunately I'm not Beethoven...

Quote Originally Posted by ashcat_lt View Post
    Cult of Squid Random Name Generator. It's meant for fantasy role playing applications, but some of the things it spits out are pretty interesting.
    Ah yeah, the ole random generators. Good times... most of the time I always think I can get a better name and then never end up using any of them though.

Quote Originally Posted by skwee View Post
    For electronic songs I've written, there's usually a sound that reminds me of something so I name it that thing. Like, I wrote something that sounded like moody or solemn outer space, so I named it after the ship from one of my favorite space movies the lead character traveled in.
    This is what I usually do as well; maybe this is what I'll keep doing...

Quote Originally Posted by Massive Master View Post
    I did a couple recordings back in the day that had all the titles based on a word --

WOOD -- There were tunes like "We Offer Only Drums" - "Wonderfully Obscure Okinawan Dance" - "Wailing Orchestra Of Doom" and what not. There was another based on another word that -- I've had a few tonight and I can't think of it at the moment. But there you go.
    Huh this is a new one. Never thought about doing it this way.
    My first album published December 22, 2016 - forrest MASH - Lost Without A Shepherd (Full Album)

Chicago area, probably looking for more coffee.
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLurker View Post
    Huh this is a new one. Never thought about doing it this way.
    "Whacked Out On Drugs" - "Winter Of Our Discontent" - "Wolves Outside Our Door" -- There were a bunch on that one. I remember another called "DIT" (not exactly a word, which is why I couldn't remember it off hand). "Dudes In Trouble" - "Driving Isolated Terrain" - "Daze In Tandem" --

If nothing else, it really made you think about the feel of the tune and then cornered you into a dictionary or something.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Massive Master For This Useful Post:

Thread Information