PROTECT YOUR EARS !!!!!! You Only have 2 of Them!

raybbj

So at age 45, I am now suffering from tinnitus. It's very annoying and very depressing. Since I was 12 years old I have always worn industrial hearing protectors whenever I play the drums (even at a gig), so I know it's not from playing drums, but I have always lived in apartments and townhouses (shared walls) so no guitar amps for you!!!. I have always played and recorded E-drums, guitar, piano, bass through headphones for the past 25 years and I guess all that headphone use has finally caught up to me.

Lesson learned the hard way!! Turn your headphones DOWN !!!
If you play in a live band, use hearing protection !!!

Don't become a statistic.

Too late for me. It all started when I went to my first live concert: Grand Funk Railroad at University of Md. Cole Field House, 1970. The ringing was gone 2 days later, but I was hooked.

I can listen at moderate levels, but I can only derive enjoyment from higher levels.

"I can listen at moderate levels, but I can only derive enjoyment from higher levels."

That ^ is a very common situation even for people with normal hearing and it is to do with our evolution. Loud sounds trigger adrenalin and the "buzz" is pleasurable like being scared by horror films. Unlike films however, loud sound is, as has been said, far from harmless.

I too am a lost cause but not as a result of 'self abuse'! I have always been very careful not to expose myself to high sound levels. I used to fix disco rigs but would test them by cranking an LP in the garage then standing outside to listen for problems (whilst having a fag!) . I am at least 20dB down at 1kHz ref 50Hz (still hear hum very well!) and then ears go off a cliff. The last octave of the piano is just a clunk to me.

I do not however agree with the Nanny State intervening and limiting headphone levels (well, ok for toys) Like booze and fags, we must be free to bugger ourselves up but there should be LOTS of education and paid for by the vendors of these things.

Forgot: I do not suffer tinnitus and for that I am eternally grateful!

Dave.

I've got tinnitus, sometimes its worse than other times, and my left ear is worse than my right one - the ear that was usually facing the drummer in my bands.
My first concert was Mountain - who had a wall full of amps. When they started playing I think the people in the first 10 rows of folding chairs got blown over.
A few years later I saw Led Zep on the Song Remains the Same Tour, we were sitting Loge Right - even height with the PA speakers, about 30 feet away. I was deaf in my right ear for 5 days after that. I never listened much to headphones or earbuds, but I wonder about today's younger crowd, some who have earbuds in all the time - and if I can hear it when they walk by me,, I know its loud!

Funny how the only 3 people to respond to this thread are people who have damaged their ears/hearing. I hope all the young folks out there aren't thinking "it'll never happen to me". I do think in 20 and 30 years time, all these young people who grew up with BEATS ear buds in their ears 24/7 are going to wake up one day and wonder why thy have tinnitus, even if they're not musicians or have never been to a Zeppelin concert and sat 30 feet from the house monitors.

Funny how the only 3 people to respond to this thread are people who have damaged their ears/hearing. I hope all the young folks out there aren't thinking "it'll never happen to me". I do think in 20 and 30 years time, all these young people who grew up with BEATS ear buds in their ears 24/7 are going to wake up one day and wonder why thy have tinnitus, even if they're not musicians or have never been to a Zeppelin concert and sat 30 feet from the house monitors.

Whilst not FOR A MOMENT saying anything against all the warnings! I would like to point out that I did NOT damage my hearing! At the age of about 55 I asked my GP about it and was sent for an audiogram. Result was "Early onset senile deafness" ! Mostly in my right ear and I was proscribed an analogue aid. I had another test at about 60 and was given two digital aids*.

They DO help but really only 'one on one' where I don't have a lot of difficulty anyway IF I get a sensitive speaker. Music sounds S.H.I.T! through them.

I am lucky, I can still enjoy music through my Tannoy 5As . TV sound is a problem. Dialogue is often lost but that is as much the poncey producers fault as anything. The very early Dave Att' stuff had music but I can STILL hear his narration. Not so Blue Planet ll !

*Phenomenal digital engineering! Turn one side up and the other one tracks with it! Do not EVER complain about tiny connectors? The ones on H aids are bloody PIN heads almost! Quite a bit of latency mind.

Dave.

My ears have been through hell over the 35+ years of playing in bands and recording. I do wish that I would have worn ear protection.

Though as a young kid I was supposed to have some type of 'tubes' placed in my ear canals. Whatever that means. For some reason my momma declined the surgery. I never asked why...

I do notice I have less ability to hear high end frequencies in one of my ears. That may be the one that took a hit when playing bottle rocket wars in the park when I was 11. Those were the days... :)

I have always had an aversion to wearing earplugs. I cannot use earbuds and in fact can't stand wearing headphones or anything over my ears. Even wearing a hoodie makes me uncomfortable. It is amazing I am able to even mix anything. Hmm.. Maybe I am in the wrong business? LOL

I'm pretty sure most of you older gentlemen never were taught this important lesson. So, thank you raybbj for bringing this issue up; I feel that too many of us younger generation take our ears for granted.

Though I have a question: Which damages the ears the most at high volumes? Ear-buds, on-the-ear, over-the-ear, or no headphones in general?

I'm identifying with Jimmy now. Except add in GUNS. Lots and lots of them actually.
Almost always had protection (sometimes plugs under 'phones). But not while playing.
But early on.. ten years old and before we knew better :rolleyes: Dad bought me 200 rnds of 22 short to get me off his back. Took his pistol to the range, I don't remember trouble' with that at the time.. But I was 'coveting the guy with a 1911 45 a few spaces down.. I still vividly remember on my first shot. Instant LOUD ringing.
Considering... at 67, I feel lucky to 'only' have moderate amounts of hearing damage.

Did I mention?
"No Wayne you didn't. "
The 'Twin over 4 - JBL D130's guitar rig. :o

Last edited:
especially closed back headphones. ...they seem the worse.
i know listening to white noise, the waterfall, rain type sound things works for me.
luckily mine comes and goes or I forget about it.

i cnat imagine the loud Marshall Amp tinnitus like Pete Townsend, its much louder I would imagine.

Even though I have played guitar since I was approximately 12 years old, I have always been extremely careful about not listening to and playing music at high volumes.

I am currently 55, and had my ears tested almost 20 years ago by an audiologist in order to have some musicians' ear plugs made.

My understanding from talking to professionals and reading about ear protection for musicians is that one has to have something specifically made, rather than being able to use generic Solutions such as earplugs or Industrial ear protection because we all are vulnerable to different frequencies at different volumes.

Despite the care that I have taken over the years, a few years ago I began to experience tinnitus, and now it is a chronic condition. I have been tested for Meniere's disease and vertigo, partly due to other symptoms, but have found that the tinnitus developed at the same time as the other symptoms.

The reason that I posted here is twofold. First, I wanted to let people know that, regardless of taking care of one's ears, it is possible to develop something like tinnitus. Of course, one can develop tinnitus as a result of listening at volumes which are too loud.

And, second, I wanted to highlight, from my understanding, the importance of seeking specific preventative solutions to hearing damage, rather than using the generic solutions by described above.

I have a severe tinitus since my 15th, when I built my own canon with my own designed canon powder..............

Luckely I (being 56) do not suffer under the tinitus, although my right ear lost 50%. I have no imbalance in my hearing (???), I still listen to my MG15's with great pleasure. In the recording studio I have to be very carefull, but it works still. No really great problems.

I test my hearing every few months and I know that my hearing on the right side is deteriorating, but for the moment I have no real problems.

have a nice 2018,
Jan

I'm identifying with Jimmy now. Except add in GUNS. Lots and lots of them actually.
Almost always had protection (sometimes plugs under 'phones). But not while playing.
But early on.. ten years old and before we knew better :rolleyes: Dad bought me 200 rnds of 22 short to get me off his back. Took his pistol to the range, I don't remember trouble' with that at the time.. But I was 'coveting the guy with a 1911 45 a few spaces down.. I still vividly remember on my first shot. Instant LOUD ringing.
Considering... at 67, I feel lucky to 'only' have moderate amounts of hearing damage.

Did I mention?
"No Wayne you didn't. "
The 'Twin over 4 - JBL D130's guitar rig. :o

Ha! Some years ago our air rifle club had a day out at a range shooting pistol (.22LR up to 44mag) . When we came back from lunch we found two guys 'patterning' a shotgun in one of our bays, sans muffs. We had enough room so, suitably protected we opened up with .357 mag and a 9mm Star...They soon buggered off!

The nannies have of course banned all pistols in UK now.

Dave.

"I test my hearing every few months "

How Jan? I have had 2 NHS audiograms and it is a very precise and skilled process. Your test MUST be exactly repeatable each time, levels, frequencies and very, very preferably done by a third party.

Dave.

And, second, I wanted to highlight, from my understanding, the importance of seeking specific preventative solutions to hearing damage, rather than using the generic solutions by described above.

I didn't know this. Figured/went by 'dB ratings, but mostly -how was I after shooting and taking them out or off.

I remember when I played in a band in the 70's coming home with a sucking sensation in my head and a dull ringing. We had horns and every opportunity we played bigger venues. We got loud sometime but most jobs were not ear shattering. About 30 years (and hearing protection with regular hearing tests in industrial work) later my hearing hasn't suffered much. I was resently testing some old speakers with mismatched woofers and I could hear the difference. I pay a lot of attention to the hi's just to see if I'm slipping. My in laws are only 20 yrs older and both are almost deaf. If age is an indicator the dances at the nursing home will be a bummer.

It must be rough as musicians to have tinnitus. I really feel for all of you who want to enjoy music, but can't without boosting the volume. Hopefully, there is some sort of permanent treatment in the coming years that could fix this.

For me, I don't boost the volume because I can't hear at low volumes. I just like to feel as if I'm immersed in it. Guess that comes from years of band practice in small spaces.. and small clubs with bass players & pre-amps.

I have tinnitus. I'm one of the lucky ones that it doesn't really bother me.
Some people are driven half nuts by it.

I've thought of trying some of the various meds for it.
But they sound a bit like snake oil.
I may give one a rip.

Amazon.com: Tinnifree Maximum Strength Tinnitus Formula with Clinically Studied Ingredients. ENT Recommended. Powerful Effective Formula to Improve Inner Ear Circulation & Help Stop Ringing in the Ears 60 ct.: Health & Personal Care
Amazon.com: NaturalCare Ringstop Ear Drops, 0.5-Ounce: Health & Personal Care

Back