An observation about 'application'.

ecc83

This weeks Composer of The Week on Radio3 is Handel (he of the Water Music)

I was suddenly reminded of some of the people that post asking for help when it is obvious they have done very little preparatory work and even when you point then at a page of the manual, back of hand goes to forehead and they say "Oh! Can't do diagrams and electric ***t"

Anyhooos.HANDEL wanted to learn how to wro
ite opera so he took himself to frigging Italy!

How much effort, expense and dedication did THAT take in the 18th century?!!

Preach it, Dave!

Troubleshooting, as a broad topic, should be compulsory in schools.
It's one of the many new 'subjects' I'd introduce which would gradually serve as a replacement for common sense. :facepalm:

I went to ridiculous lengths to explain something to someone recently, at his request, and it was clear he was just picking out occasional familiar words and ignoring the rest.
The concept wasn't going in so I said, listen..I'll do you a video.
He said, Oh, make it under 30 seconds - I don't think I could concentrate for longer.

Preach it, Dave!

Troubleshooting, as a broad topic, should be compulsory in schools.
It's one of the many new 'subjects' I'd introduce which would gradually serve as a replacement for common sense. :facepalm:

I went to ridiculous lengths to explain something to someone recently, at his request, and it was clear he was just picking out occasional familiar words and ignoring the rest.
The concept wasn't going in so I said, listen..I'll do you a video.
He said, Oh, make it under 30 seconds - I don't think I could concentrate for longer.

I try to be careful lest the finger points at me. I know as the years advance that my concentration is weaker..At least I TELL myself that! In effect I KNOW I could learn something new or find a solution to a problem (usually PC related) but I just think, "Ooh! Can't be effin' bothered" and I don't know if that is genuine fatigue or just bloody laziness?

So, as Dirty Harry said (sort of) "I know my limitations" but ffs, some of the posters have real Sound Byte Brains!

Dave.

I try to be careful lest the finger points at me. I know as the years advance that my concentration is weaker..At least I TELL myself that! In effect I KNOW I could learn something new or find a solution to a problem (usually PC related) but I just think, "Ooh! Can't be effin' bothered" and I don't know if that is genuine fatigue or just bloody laziness?

Ha! Yeah, there's a big difference between giving up and giving up but still wanting the result. ;)
Everybody just says "sod it" once in a while.

Back