The Internet's Best Recording Resources

Erockrazor

I mix in (2x) real-time
These days we want it and we want it now. I want to compile a list of the Internets most plentiful recording resources. Here we can display the links to recording articles,

threads, pages, and videos that we find to be of the highest quality. Not everybody wants to search through every thread on every forum so maybe those of us that have been into

the woods can cut down some of the brush for them.

I believe that collectively, we can compile a list of the richest online resources. Feel free to dispute the usefulness of one article or promote another.

Microphone's
Harvey Gerst's long thread on Microphones and how they work.
Harvey Gerst's Thread on Microphone Selection

Mixing
Mixing with Sonusman

Mastering
DIY Mastering
Izotope Guide to Mastering
Mastering House Resources

DAW
Tips to Optimize Computer for Recording
Steinberg's Write-Up on DAW components
KVRAudio's Database of Free Plug-Ins

Analog
Basics of Analog Recording

Room Treatment/Acoustics
Ethan Winer Acoustics Primer

Guitar
Recording Distorted Guitars
Guitar/Amp Tone Principles
Guitar Woods Primer

Drums
Greg's Drums For Noobs
Drum Tuning
Glyn Johns Drum Tracking Technique

PA
Electrovoice guide to PA

Intro to Recording
Tweakheadz guide to Recording
Recording Techniques Blog

Other article's pointing to ... good resources..
Mercenary Audio's Article Catalog
Gearslutz Tips and Techniques
SouthsideGlen's articles (compression, freq. charts, gain staging, book references)
Gearslutz Video Directory
SAE Recording Reference
Rane Library
Rane Glossary

Feel free to dispute any of these choices and I encourage you to add on. This is a recording community.

I find the link on drum tuning bothersome - there's several red flags and some of the info is just flat wrong.

Who would call their info a "Bible"?

I find the link on drum tuning bothersome - there's several red flags and some of the info is just flat wrong.

Who would call their info a "Bible"?

I know little about drum tuning or even drums. I thought it was a good read since I've seen many refer to it. Do you know of a better source for drum tuning on the internet? If so, please share! :)

I know little about drum tuning or even drums. I thought it was a good read since I've seen many refer to it. Do you know of a better source for drum tuning on the internet? If so, please share! :)

I know I shouldn't say anything if I don't have a better source of tuning info but I don't. When that guy said that the reso "is mostly responsible for the pitch" I shook my head. No mention of calf heads. He completely leaves out the method of lightly touching the center of the head and tapping around the head, which is like how guitarists use 12th fret harmonics to tune. The site came off as hokey to me.

Although decades old, the info at 404 Not Found on the "EV PA Bible" is still pertinent and worth looking at.

Fletcher, at Mercenary Audio, admits he's a loudmouth, but at least he's got Platinum and Gold records to back it up and he's always been gracious to me. There's a bevy of info on his site:
404 Not Found
Fletcher was the first guy I ever heard proclaiming that the "SM57 is the best cheap mic" he was saying that 20 years ago, and it gets repeated on this forum daily.

here's something i stumbled across a few days ago. (Principles of Rock Guitar Tone)

it explains a bit about tube amps, how they work and some tone tips. not sure if any of it holds any water but i think its worth a read.

and heres a link that describes the tones of wood used in popular guitars (http://www.jemsite.com/jem/wood.htm). explains, the physical appearance, the tone characteristics, how it interacts with different neck woods, fret boards, and body tops. this could help an indecisive guitar shopper find out what he/she wants. AGAIN: not sure if it holds any water. maybe light or tadpui could drop by.

I love the Drum Bible personally. Don't feel it hokey at all, while I haven't used it in years I refered to it frequently during my early years of tuning.

I love the Drum Bible personally. Don't feel it hokey at all, while I haven't used it in years I refered to it frequently during my early years of tuning.

When I read it, it came off as legit. I actually enjoyed reading it too. But I don't the real deal about tuning drums so I have little authority on the subject. Until we have something that we agree is better, we will keep the drum tuning bible up there.

Sticky? Not yet, it needs to kick serious ass to be sticky. We have a bit more work and refining to do.

Yes, the best way to learn in a studio is to have hands/ears on experience. But when we turn to writing and books, shouldn't the reading be rich and accurate? This is the list I'm hoping to create. To weed out the articles that just don't make the cut. Sure it's good to read all the information you can but for early research I believe it's best to start off with an accurate and reputable source.

I am not qualified to make a list of the best of the best. But collectively, we can decide what articles are the best of the best. I hope you can agree and oblige.

Eric

I would really love for more people to chime in on either suggestions or deletions. I think we could really compile a good list collectively.

Please chime in! Threads like these can enrich the forum!:)

Good idea for a thread. Might make for stickie status.

Eric, are you copying the new links to the first post?? If so, after one week, you won't be able to edit anymore. Let me know which links to add and I will help out.

Here's my suggestions:

Ethan Winer's article on Acoustic Treatment is a must read:
Acoustic Treatment and Design for Recording Studios and Listening Rooms

And I like to refer people to Sweetwater's article on PC optimization:
PC OPTIMIZATION GUIDE for Windows XP. | SweetCare

Eric, are you copying the new links to the first post?? If so, after one week, you won't be able to edit anymore. Let me know which links to add and I will help out.

Chili,

Yes I'm editing the post. I thought as long as I kept editing it, it would push back the time to edit. Didnt know it was only a week of edits.

Since this is the case, maybe I can copy and paste my post into a new post as we edit the list after the first week. Then if we decide it is sticky approved, I will let you know the "final" list. This way I'm not bothering you every time I want to take something out or put something in.

Since I can still edit, I'll put in bold print that the updated list will appear later in the thread. (and I'll update that one as much as needed for that one week to not dilute this thread with what would look like a bunch of repeat posts.)

Chili,

Yes I'm editing the post. I thought as long as I kept editing it, it would push back the time to edit. Didnt know it was only a week of edits.
You might be able to keep making edits, haven't seen it happen, so don't know for sure. Let me know one way or the other.

Since this is the case, maybe I can copy and paste my post into a new post as we edit the list after the first week. Then if we decide it is sticky approved, I will let you know the "final" list. This way I'm not bothering you every time I want to take something out or put something in.

Let's try it this way and see how it works. But the mods are here to do this kind of stuff, so it's no bother at all. PM me with what you want to do. It's your thread, you get to manage it. :)

Since I can still edit, I'll put in bold print that the updated list will appear later in the thread. (and I'll update that one as much as needed for that one week to not dilute this thread with what would look like a bunch of repeat posts.)
Not quite sure I follow. I think it's best to keep all the links in the first post. We can help you do the edits, no problem. I think after a week or so, all the popular links will be posted and updates won't happen as often. Just let us know what you'd like to do.

Thanks!!!

Back