I'm ready to ban coffee in my studio ... again.

bluesfordan

I love the bean, I really do. Java sets my mind (and bowels) in motion. Without it I am nothing.

That said, I just cleaned up yet another *^)(#^#@ spill of nearly a whole freaking cup of the stuff. I was doing some mixing, tweaking compression on a track recorded long ago and revisited. Thanks to being blind in one eye and a distance focused cataract implant in the surviving eye, my close range vision is the pits. I'm knocking shit over all the time and that includes coffee cups. I'm almost more pissed about wasting a good cup of joe than the mess. At least it was black and no cream to sour nor sugar to attract pests plus the cup was saved before it hit the floor.

It's just my home studio and I alone am responsible for the mess. Do any of you ban any beverage except say, bottled water? After each clean up I say 'never again' but a month or two later and I'm in there again with coffee. This was an impromptu excursion and I was having a cup after lunch.

And of course the physics of hot liquids probably make a bigger splatter. When will I learn?

I'm a coffee drinker...and in my studio I have one of those small, round coffee warmer plates...so I can brew a cup and sip it warm for a longer time. I don't like to just chug down the cup in 2 minutes.
I keep the warmer & coffee cup off to my side, where I have to consciously reach for it, and where it's not in line with anything I have to reach for when I'm working. So I've managed not to ever knock it over."
That said...I've got a couple of cats that like to hang in the studio when I'm working...and they have their perch, which is kinda right above where the coffee is.
It's not in their way, and they don't come close to it when going up/down to their perch...but a previous cat I (had who died), use to get a bit pissy/aggressive with the female cat occasionally when they would jog for space, and one day several years ago they went at it, and managed to knock over the coffee, break my favorite cup, and left me with a mess.
Luckily, since it was off to the side, it was mostly a table/floor clean up...and my audio gear wasn't involved except for a few surface splatters.

So now there's a boy cat (4 years old)...same female cat...and they still like to go up on their perch, and I still keep my coffee in that same spot. :D
This "new" cat isn't as pissy as the other one...so they've been real good so far.
I dunno what it is about my studio...but the cats have always been obsessed about hanging in there...but only when I'm in there working. They don't hang in there on their own.

Oh...AFA beverages...my good buddy managed to spill a beer a few years ago, even when he was trying real hard to be careful...but it was just some on the floor.
Otherwise, I don't forbid beverages, I just tell people to put their cups/bottles on the floor...and not on equipment or up where it can be knocked over and end up all over the equipment.

believe me, Chili, I've thought about that on many an occasion. :D

somebody suggested those spill proof sippy cups that little kids use. I'm almost seriously considering it. I'd probably have to let the coffee cool a bit before using them. But this is becoming a real issue for me. I've knocked over more cups of coffee in the past 3 years since I lost my eye than I had the previous 57 years on this rock.

30 years ago, a client sprayed a carbonated drink all over my control room. All liquids and food have been banned since then.

Years ago, one of the guitar players in my band spilled half a bottle of beer into the transport section of my 688 Midi Studio while we were making club demos. All beverages stayed on the floor or across the room after that one. Fortunately, 15 minutes of steady blow-drying with a hair dryer unlocked everything and it never had a problem after that. Hell, it may have even helped by cleaning it out somewhat.

Make a place in the studio where the drink is safe so you don't knock it over, also the place for the drink is away from the gear. For example a shelf at the rear of the room. I do not let beer in the studio at all but banning coffee?

Alan.

That sounds way too logical.

You know as well as we do it ain't gonna happen.
If I have to spend $600 each year on keyboards then that's what I'll do! :eek:

I use a stainless steel "on-the-go" coffee container. It keeps the coffee hot for hours during a long session and if I knock it over, the mess will be minimal.............Hey at least I don't smoke in my studio anymore. I stopped that about 20 years ago !!

Learn not to knock stuff over... it's a micro-discipline worth investing some time in. I have whatever I want in my studio because I don't knock shit over because I taught myself not to - engage fully with the beverage.:eek:

Learn not to knock stuff over... it's a micro-discipline worth investing some time in. I have whatever I want in my studio because I don't knock shit over because I taught myself not to - engage fully with the beverage.:eek:
Haha good pont. Cats and kids knock shit over. Adults?:Well they should have outgrown that years ago.

Now drunk, i can understand. But what makes one think they can record decent music intoxicated?
:D

I guess you missed the part about being blind in one eye with extreme tunnel vision in the remaining eye :(

that's ok :D just busting your chops. wish it was just that simple, though

I guess you missed the part about being blind in one eye with extreme tunnel vision in the remaining eye :(

that's ok :D just busting your chops. wish it was just that simple, though

I didn't miss it, but probably I'd forgotten it by the time I'd read through all the posts. Apologies for my insensitivity. It was a general theme I've been building on lately - how not to do dumb shit - generally happens when people assume they don't have to pay attention to things and get distracted by something else. I do it too, obviously, everyone does, I've just become really aware of how not to make some of those mistakes quite as often as I get older.;)

Back