How to record electric guitars

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's what strikes me as funny about Gerg. If you look as most of what he says, you'd think he'd be totally pro analog. I mean ... who wants to be a pussy and record digitally with limitless options and fake plug-in compressors, EQs, and effects that emulate real hardware? Just mic that shit up, roll tape, and record motherfucker!
I'm just talking about amps, dude. You're bringing all that other shit into this because you can't defend your fake amps vs a real one.

Actually they used to sound better. Now they are 99.9% the same. In a couple of years they will be identical.

Please don't lie that's not the reason you suggest using a real amp and you know it. There are more reasons you've talked about.

Now you're calling me a liar? Okay then, you're a hypocrite. So where do we go now?

Music hasn't been real since the invented the microphone. When music was played in a room and people heard it "real". When the microphone, then recording came along, everything has been to get to that point. A guitar string on a guitar sounds like crap. It is not until it is manipulated through pickups, amps and speakers that it becomes something worth listening too. Then you have effects pedals, etc. I really don't see a difference between an amplified guitar and a sim, just there were two different technologies that got you the end state.

I am not saying you are wrong for wanting to produce your sound your way, but you are naive in thinking it is any more or less real than any other way of creating a manipulated sound. Which is different from wanting to capture a sound that is what you heard, like a live orchestra or a live band in a particular room.

Oh dear god, another one. :facepalm:

Pandora's box of stupid is wide open now.

Music hasn't been real since the invented the microphone. When music was played in a room and people heard it "real". When the microphone, then recording came along, everything has been to get to that point. A guitar string on a guitar sounds like crap. It is not until it is manipulated through pickups, amps and speakers that it becomes something worth listening too. Then you have effects pedals, etc. I really don't see a difference between an amplified guitar and a sim, just there were two different technologies that got you the end state.

I am not saying you are wrong for wanting to produce your sound your way, but you are naive in thinking it is any more or less real than any other way of creating a manipulated sound. Which is different from wanting to capture a sound that is what you heard, like a live orchestra or a live band in a particular room.

tumblr_m44mvzZqZv1qjstg6.png

Yes, that's it! You've cracked the code!

My "narrow view" suggests that people use real instruments and learn how to deal with them. I know, so terrible, right?

You cannot handle a conversation by ignoring other peoples posts and repeating the same thing. We're going back in circles this way.

Why do you always dodge replies with sense and logic?

They put you in the corner and you get defensive, offending anyone that disagrees with you with logic.

You cannot handle a conversation by ignoring other people's post and repeating the same thing. We're going back in circles this way.

Why is your or someone else's logic better than mine? That's why I write you off as an idiot. I'm not dodging anything. I've been at this for like 13 pages now swatting you goons off like flies. Excuse me if I don't want to repeat myself over and over.

Make up your flaky fucking mind, dude. You want to agree with me, you don't want to agree with me, whatever. It's no big deal.

I'm just talking about amps, dude. You're bringing all that other shit into this because you can't defend your fake amps vs a real one.

LOL ... You're honestly going to tell me that using amp sims is any different than using compressor or reverb plugs? I'll tell you the only difference. You choose to make use of one of them but not the other. That's the only difference right there.

Why is your or someone else's logic better than mine? That's why I write you off as an idiot. I'm not dodging anything. I've been at this for like 13 pages now swatting you goons off like flies. Excuse me if I don't want to repeat myself over and over.

You're gonna need this, for your own good:

You're gonna need this, for your own good:

Lol. Says the guy with his own blog, gigantic sig in red, youtube channels, etc.

---------- Update ----------

LOL ... You're honestly going to tell me that using amp sims is any different than using compressor or reverb plugs? I'll tell you the only difference. You choose to make use of one of them but not the other. That's the only difference right there.

I can tell you the difference. It's a huge difference. But one fight at a time. You won't agree with it because you can't.

Lol. Says the guy with his own blog, gigantic sig in red, youtube channels, etc.

---------- Update ----------

I can tell you the difference. It's a huge difference. But one fight at a time. You won't agree with it because you can't.

I have no problem agreeing with the fact that real amps feel different than sims. But I would bet you a lot of money that you'd easily be fooled in a blind test.

I use real amps whenever I can. But I'm a writer and session guitarist for a living, and I have small children. Sometimes I have to record guitars after the kids go to bed. Therefore, I'm thankful there are amp sims that allow me to do that and provide for my family.

I have no problem agreeing with the fact that real amps feel different than sims. But I would bet you a lot of money that you'd easily be fooled in a blind test.
I don't disagree with that, and I've said that very thing repeatedly, many times, for many years. I'm happy if someone can make their fake amps sound like real amps. That's a good thing. If you can fool me, fine! I've gone into great detail for people on how they can make their sampled drums sound more human. I get it. But you know what has no problem sounding like a real amp? A real amp.

I use real amps whenever I can. But I'm a writer and session guitarist for a living, and I have small children. Sometimes I have to record guitars after the kids go to bed. Therefore, I'm thankful there are amp sims that allow me to do that and provide for my family.
And that's a valid reason for using sims. I don't discredit that, and I never have. But I believe that you'd rather use real amps whenever you can, so parading around like sims are just as good is weak and you're being argumentative with me just because you don't like the way I say things.

... and is paying server fees, everything is free, there's no "go premium" content at all, no ads to make money from, and all of this happens for the sake of others :)

Awww, well aren't you a fucking saint. Helping the masses with their halfasses! Lol @ me being the one with an ego.

I see this thread going to the Cave.

Wait.... where? :confused:

Just let one of these morons have the last word then close it down. It went off the rails a long time ago. This will be the last time I try to help these knuckle draggers. :laughings:

So parading around like sims are just as good is weak and you're being argumentative with me just because you don't like the way I say things.

While I don't believe I've said they're "just as good" --- I think "just as valid" or "legitimate" is more accurate --- there's probably a good bit of truth to the latter part.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back