Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10

Thread: High “whistling” noise from my guitar/bass amplifiers in my home recording facility

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    BREAKING NEWS !

I discovered a unexpected way to get around the "whistling" noise problem - temporary solution but still a solution !
    Someone asked me if by chance I tested with one of those single stomp boxes of the close past. Well, I've got two of them forgotten in a drawer since long time, a Boss Chorus and a Guyatone Phaser. I tested and the Phaser stops the "whistle" even in bypass! (Not the Chorus though). So that means that there IS a way to filter the godforbidden thing. For the moment I still wait for the tech person from the Telecommunication company comes to detect the source and to see how it will be sorted out. After testing with a battery powered amp and still having the noise it's now sure that it is an EM interference from some source. But at least I can continue my work till then. Huffffff..........

Thank you guys all for your valuable feedback.

BD

Thanks
    Congrats!!! Any workaround is a valid workaround.

Thanks
    [QUOTE=Bad Disciple]
    Quote Originally Posted by ecc83
    Let me have the Marshall model number and schematic if you have it and a description of the problem. I communicate with a top bloke in Scotland who knows all there is about guitar amp servicing.
    Hi Dave, I've sent you a notification about my Marshall crackling problem. Here I just add an audio file with the crackling recorded (as I can't upload it in the notification).
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ecc83 View Post
    Marshall Dave.
    Hi Dave here the simple schematic and 2 photos.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails marshall-head-photo-1-jpg   marshall-head-photo-2-jpg   schematic-manual-jpg  

Thanks
    Hello everyone, some last news about that "whistling" EMI noise in my neighborhood (and getting it in all my amps).

Finally, I'm sad to discover that it was a misinterpretation I made with that "solution" which I thought it came using a stomp phaser box! Now that I made a bunch of meticulous tests, I found that it only slightly diminishes the "whistle", if at all... I wonder how could I have that impression the first time! I presume I may have forgotten some tone control lowered (that obviously filters it). So I'm sorry for misleading you all by saying it, but it was what I blindly thought. So no, the stomp boxes don't cancel that EMI "whistling" noise.

But I finally have a last discovery. One of my guitars has two humbuckers and they can also be combined together as two single coils from each (I presume in inversion). And it's ONLY in that case that the "whistle" is DEFINITELY cancelled ! By the way, on my two Strats (an old one and a N3 noiseless PUs) in the positions "two single coils together" the "whistle" gets considerably diminished. So the solution might have to do with the PUs combined by two and inverted I presume.

On the other hand, I'm awaiting until the Telecom company solves the problem as their tech man promised when he came to measure everything. I'll keep you updated.
    Last edited by Bad Disciple; 04-23-2017 at 13:23.

northampton uk home of Dr Who and Blackstar Amps!
    Thanks
    That cancellation effect tells me that the signal is actually electrical radiation of the AUDIO not RF being demodulated. This would explain why the Series one with THREE RF filters in the input circuit, two external in the tin and one internal, do not stop it, it is not 'RF'! It also explains the tone control's action in reducing it. Do you know anyone with a hearing aid? If so and they switch it to 'loop' function I bet you a pint they will hear the whistle (they would not detect RFI)

BTW BD, belay the part in my PM about having a switch? Don't have anything like that.

Dave.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to ecc83 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ecc83 View Post
    That cancellation effect tells me that the signal is actually electrical radiation of the AUDIO not RF being demodulated. This would explain why the Series one with THREE RF filters in the input circuit, two external in the tin and one internal, do not stop it, it is not 'RF'! It also explains the tone control's action in reducing it. Do you know anyone with a hearing aid? If so and they switch it to 'loop' function I bet you a pint they will hear the whistle (they would not detect RFI)

BTW BD, belay the part in my PM about having a switch? Don't have anything like that.
    Dave.
    Hi Dave, this seems to me again a precious deduction and my common logic sense agrees with it even if I have no specific tech knowledge. So I'm awaiting the promised solution from the Telecom company while being "educated" in what-it-is-about.

(Ok, I understand about the SB switch and I short answered your PM.)

Thread Information