Have you come across bands online you thought were great, but had no following?

I asked for links to bands who people bumped into online, who users here think are good and others should check out...not a lecture on "real musicians" and ideology/dogma nonsense. Just make a thread about soundcloud and wannabees and go off in that.

You also were miffed as to why no one was posting links...

I guess nobody listens to other peoples' music? lol

...and that's what opened up the discussion to all these tangent, yet relevant topics.

So chill out...why do you get so flustered when people don't respond in the way that you want/expect them too...? :D
It's an open, public forums...and MANY threads start with one initial topic, and then segue, evolve, spin off...it's still all relevant to music and recording ant the shit we all do.
Hey...sometimes the original topic dies of, because no one has anything to add to it, as you noted by said what I quoted above. :)

If you hadn't made that comment...this thread was already dead, since no one was posting links....so in a way, you helped take it off course, but again, it's all good, it's still all relevant.

Now...back to your comment earlier, about finding music that "changes your life forever".

I initially said that that was a bit too idealistic, and I don't think in in that way...but then I thought about it, and while I still don't think there's ever been any one artist/album/song that "changed my life forever"...I would say that music as a whole has changed, or better yet, deeply affected my life forever because I've been involved with music since I was about 9 years old, so it's part of who I am, for sure....and I'll most like be doing it until I die.

Funny...I saw an article yesterday where Paul Simon said he was going to give up making music after this current tour he's on, and just walk away from all of it....that he has no more interest.
I'm not quite sure how that happens...where you just stop doing the one thing that's made you who you are.,..but, I guess it can happen.

I'm not quite sure how that happens...where you just stop doing the one thing that's made you who you are.,..but, I guess it can happen.

Piles of money and a disinterested, aging fanbase probably helps make that decision easier for him.

Which is why you also have really good sounding music, with almost no hits.

Any examples?

Great thread idea, Nola. Hope it takes off.
There's a huge following for unsigned/unheard music.

Unfortunately you're probably in the wrong crowd but who knows.

Funny...I saw an article yesterday where Paul Simon said he was going to give up making music after this current tour he's on, and just walk away from all of it....that he has no more interest.
I'm not quite sure how that happens...where you just stop doing the one thing that's made you who you are...

I'm sure you think differently when you're a few years from death and already a millionaire legend.

Any examples?

Ahh...that would be for Nola.
I mean...that's what he was looking for here, people to post links to good music that not many other people have discovered. :)
So by what he's saying, it's out there...and he's found some.

As I said, I don't scour Soundcloud, Bandcamp, Reverbnation..etc looking for good music from unknown artists, and I honestly pay little attention the the number of hits/likes anyone has....but considering the MILLIONS of people posting stuff on the interwebs these days, there's probably a lot of good music that goes by unnoticed...but...someone also has to sift through the not so good music to find it.
I'm wondering how many people do scour the interwebs looking for good music with minimal hits/likes....and since there hasn't been much posted in this thread...mmmm...maybe not too many, at least not from here.

I also think a lot of people reach a saturation point...with music streams and playlists....EVERYWHERE.

I'm sure you think differently when you're a few years from death and already a millionaire legend.

I don't know about that...and I don't think he's just a few years from death, either. :D
I mean, there ARE musicians who have lots of money and fame...and as old as him...and still rockin' on.
So it's not some kind of generality that once you make a lot of money and get famous, you give it up at some point.
I do think people wind down...that's nothing unusual as you get into your senior years...but not sure that many lose interest and love for something that got them there.

I'm wondering how many people do scour the interwebs looking for good music with minimal hits/likes....and since there hasn't been much posted in this thread...mmmm...maybe not too many, at least not from here.

Plenty do.
Nola may get lucky but a home recording forum is the last place I'd have asked that question.

Plenty do.
Nola may get lucky but a home recording forum is the last place I'd have asked that question.

He's the one that was underwhelmed by the lack of music link responses...so I guess he should just wait for it, and at some point all those here at HR that do scour the interwebs, will start posting links to all that undiscovered music.

Any examples?

Great thread idea, Nola. Hope it takes off.
There's a huge following for unsigned/unheard music.

Unfortunately you're probably in the wrong crowd but who knows.

Thanks Steen.
I thought so (naive I guess), but it seems not here.
Lesson learned.

I've missed something somewhere along the way....

No.

I also didn't think that a home-rec forum would churn out endless playlists for Nola...but I agree that there are regular "fans" who have do have endless playlists...who do spend time scouring the interwebs for unknown music.
I do think that most of those would be kids...teens to early twenties, as they are still looking to discover the next new things..etc.

Here...I still say everyone is more focused on their own music.

I follow a lot of people who post here. Clicking profiles for people who like the same songs you like tends to bring you to more music you like too. The discover list that spotify makes for you once a week (automated) is another good way to find stuff. Not sure who I listen to who is/isn't signed, even on spotify any joe with a few bucks to spare can get distributed to all the streaming services. So the platform doesn't seem to be an indicator of whether someone's got label backing.

I like the explosion of music past few years, good and bad. Sure beats growing up with exactly three radio stations and none of them playing anything that isn't top 40 in its genre.

I like the threads you've been starting nola, having a bunch of new music to sample from the other thread got me through the last work week.

Here's a soundcloud playlist I made of some great stuff I stumbled on there/here. https://m.soundcloud.com/nicholas-easler/sets/gems

I follow a lot of people who post here. Clicking profiles for people who like the same songs you like tends to bring you to more music you like too. The discover list that spotify makes for you once a week (automated) is another good way to find stuff. Not sure who I listen to who is/isn't signed, even on spotify any joe with a few bucks to spare can get distributed to all the streaming services. So the platform doesn't seem to be an indicator of whether someone's got label backing.

I like the explosion of music past few years, good and bad. Sure beats growing up with exactly three radio stations and none of them playing anything that isn't top 40 in its genre.

I like the threads you've been starting nola, having a bunch of new music to sample from the other thread got me through the last work week.

Here's a soundcloud playlist I made of some great stuff I stumbled on there/here. https://m.soundcloud.com/nicholas-easler/sets/gems

Agree 100%, Easlern, with everything.

Especially this:
So true, for all the complaining about too much music, it's a better problem then "this is what you will listen to" by some disc jockey or labels. Imagine all the great music we missed out on because it didn't fit a jockey or a label's opinion of good?
Just put your play list on. Already like track 1!
Thanks for posting it.

Edit: oh, nice to see that Sheppard Lee tune. When he posted that I was blown away.

Last edited:
Sure beats growing up with exactly three radio stations and none of them playing anything that isn't top 40 in its genre.

Just out of curiosity...where did you grow up?
You're 34...so that means you were probably listening to lots of music in your early teens, which would be from about about 1995, right?

I remember dozens of radio stations long before 1995, granted I grew up in the NJ/NY metro area, but still you would have to be way out in the country to only pick up 3 top 40 stations. Heck, I was listening to top 40, hard rock, punk, avant-garde and underground stuff on the FM stations and public radio, also offering lots of world music, and tons of classical music..etc.

Going even way back before that...people use to actually go to a record store and peruse the isles with rows and rows of albums, and you could find just about anything you wanted. There was tons of music, all kinds of music...we just didn't have the interwebs with everything a mouse click away.

Heck...if all you got were 3 top 40 stations...I feel for you. :D

That's mostly it...I simply don't have the time to explore Soundcloud or Bandcamp for unknown stuff.

But you have time to write novels about your dogmatic views in my thread?

You wrote at least 5 huge posts in this thread, and during that time you could have been listening to music on youtube or soundcloud or bandcamp...or making your own music. You write novels in other threads writing about your dogmatic views. And then you say you have no time.

I see.

Contrary to popular belief, in the 'old days' the airwaves were alive with all sorts of stuff.
It wasnt till clear channel took over that things went south.

You wrote at least 5 huge posts in this thread, and during that time you could have been listening to music on youtube or soundcloud or bandcamp...or making your own music. You write novels in other threads writing about your dogmatic views. And then you say you have no time.

I see.

It was an abstract meaning of "I have no time"...as in I'm not interested in putting in the time to look through Bandcamp for songs from unknown artists. I think I already said that early on in this thread.

However, I do like hanging around on HR and engaging in discussions about audio/music/recording in various threads...some days more, some days less.
Is that OK with you, Mom? :)

You sure also spend of lot of time posting endless threads which ask for responses...
...but see, that doesn't really upset me, I mean, that's what a forum is for. ;)
Oh... and it's not really "your thread" where you get to tell people what they can post and who can post and how long the posts can be...
...but I know you already knew that.

My oh my...feathers do get ruffled easy around here lately...and we're all basically still just talking about music and recording.
Go figure. *shrug*

I see.

Please stop picking fights dood. You have been warned...

hmmm... well in Metro Detroit, I had 101.1 (hard rock), 96.3 (pop), and 97.1 (rock) up until the late 90's. With the alternative boom, more college stations and alternative stuff sprang up. Then we had MTV as well. But I know what Easlern is saying. There weren't a ton of options, and when the internet came around and punk made it's way to me, well...that's kinda when things turned a bit for me, for better or worse.

Did you grow up in Western MI Easlern? If so, I can vouche for him that his music options really were that minimal. I came from closer to Detroit and there was only the ones I listed...the western part of the state would most likely have less options. And when you're a kid/early teen, you don't even know that those other things exist to seek them out.

I'm mixed on the plethora of new music. I do see both sides. In reality, what happens is: I'll start scouring Amazon, YT, whatever, and it'll take me forever to find something I like that I haven't heard before (too much to choose from?), but when I do, I'm grateful for it (worth it in the end).

Back