Dual Rectifier modelers shoot out. need help!

I've not tried the really top end sims like Axe FX, Positive Grid and Helix or anything though.

i don´t think Positive Grid is top end at all. they just make a good job of selling themselves. in my experiments i found that Overloud TH3 sounds much better, at least the amp modeling.

Dual rec cleans are cool and all, especially for the prog metal shit but all the cool guys are going with AC30s... or basically anything else with some gatdang mids.

I'll be reamping that clip today.

I have to say though, you are probably going to be disappointed in the mesa for this kind of tone even with a TS in front.

I'm really interested in hearing the outcome of this comparison. Please post when you have something to share!

(I'm one of them dumb-ass modern metal players :D)

I'm really interested in hearing the outcome of this comparison. Please post when you have something to share!

(I'm one of them dumb-ass modern metal players :D)

will do. it´s turning out quite interesting. Guitargodgt just sent me his reamped tracks with the real amp. some high regarded modelers fall rather short in comparison. others that aren´t on many peoples radar however come super close.

You know the other thing I thought about is the fact I'm using EL34s instead of the more common 6L6s that most people I run into chose to use. I don't know how drastic of a difference that makes because I don't have a set of 6L6 tubes to swap out and try.

You know the other thing I thought about is the fact I'm using EL34s instead of the more common 6L6s that most people I run into chose to use. I don't know how drastic of a difference that makes because I don't have a set of 6L6 tubes to swap out and try.

It makes a difference. I'm personally not big believer in preamp tube differences from one 12ax7 to another, but completely different power amp tube designs make a pretty significant difference.

If I had a spare $100 lying around I would pick up a set just to hear the difference. One of the nice things about the DR is the ability to pull out the tubes, flip a switch and be on the go.

Positive Grid has some decent apps, their amp sims are actually pretty decent especially with the amp match features. When matching a DR 3ch with Marshall 1960 w 30s or a 5150II with the same cabinet, the A/B sounds very close, especially when used in a mix.

As far as amp sims, I have used for recording and for live aspects. One the best methods to utilize Positive Grid sims is to simply run the output into the amps FX return (bypassing the pre amp section) and you will be in tone heaven. For me, that is the best method of obtaining the usable tones for both heavy and clean guitar. When comparing to all the other amp sims, Amp One has a great Mesa sim tone, probably the best out of the bunch IMHO but only for recording due to the limited outputs.

Back