Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: amp, mics, SPLs picture...

northampton uk home of Dr Who and Blackstar Amps!
    Thanks

amp, mics, SPLs picture...

Sign in to disable this ad
    The setup:
    Two mics strapped together, 25 dynamic form Maplins (I have donated my SM57 to my son's musical works in France! I know from previous tests that this mic is about 6dB more sensitive than a 57) The other is an AKG Perception 150 set for max sensitivity. I know left from right. Yous all must guess! Both mics are touching the cab fret just off centre of the Greenback, a 55Hz jobbie.

The amplifier I shall also leave unsaid for now.

Mics feed a KA6 the cap' channel is at zero gain and the dymo at 2 0'clock. The clip is being played out of a 2496 card to the amp.
    The levels can be seen attached and in fact average around -13dBFS with a 'clang' at -9.5dBFS max. Thus, those with a 57 should not have any problem as levels will be about -19dBFS for the same gain setting and there is gain in hand. A Maplin N33GJ C weighted SPL meter was put against the fret next to the mics and recorded ~102dBC. Out in the room it was set some 1.5mtrs from the centre of the cab 1mtr in the air pointed straight up on a camera stand and read ~85dBC.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2mic-levels-png  
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks
    I preferred the right channel, but they sounded quite good together (split then panned center in Audacity). I'm going to guess right was the AKG, but I have no basis for that other than name bias probably. The left I'd have considered a bit muddy by itself, but either would have been workable.
    "... I know in the mornin' that it's gonna be good
    when I stick out my elbows and they don't bump wood." - Bill Kirchen

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by keith.rogers View Post
    I preferred the right channel, but they sounded quite good together (split then panned center in Audacity). I'm going to guess right was the AKG, but I have no basis for that other than name bias probably. The left I'd have considered a bit muddy by itself, but either would have been workable.
    Thanks Keith. I shall let a few more comments come in before I reveal all! Any ideas on the amp? Make, power, active devices?

I had to post what I did a bit swiftly and then got "Backend fetch failed" whatever TF that is! My main reason for the post was that new peeps seem forever to be having topology problems with their undergarments with levels, gain, noise and DAW signal displays! I hope this offering ties all those things together? I am saying.."Make THIS much noise in a room, stick almost any microphone against the cab and you will get MORE than workable levels with any AI (the KA6 has about 55dB of gain). If you don't, something is wrong and the "system" needs to be gone through in a 'systematic' way.

Ok, noobs will not likely have an SPL meter to hand (but DO get one as soon as your are able. $15, C weighted, easily good enough) so how loud was the amp? My wife was in the next room watching telly, separated by a single wood panelled door. She could hear the amp but was not distracted by it.

Any questions, anything else I can try? Shoot!

Dave.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ecc83 View Post
    Thanks Keith. I shall let a few more comments come in before I reveal all! Any ideas on the amp? Make, power, active devices?
    I heard some reverb, so assumed that was an amp 'verb. I really am pretty dumb about the different amp sounds. Well, I know what I like, and it's somewhere between the [older] Vox and Fender families, and this could easily fall in that range, but I've recorded a MicroCube and that's just fine for a lot of things too!

Your post is really good. I might try something like that later if I can get the lawn irrigation probs sorted out, a few lb of sheet music packed up and off to the son, and other household to-do's out of the way! Oh, and remember how to plug in the electric guitar...
    "... I know in the mornin' that it's gonna be good
    when I stick out my elbows and they don't bump wood." - Bill Kirchen

Thanks
    'Verb on the signal K? Sorrry, red fish, did not intend that. The clip was done by son quite few years ago (I have others but mainly jazz or classical and I wanted rock ) and he did several for me for a purpose no longer valid, some I re did with a reverb pluggin. Would perhaps have been better to use a dry clip but twas done before I realized it.

Have to say, sitting next to a cab chucking out 102dB SPL makes me realize just how bloody deaf I have become!

Dave.

Thanks
    The right hand mic was the crap dymo, so crap I think that I shall rig another test with my shiny new Prodipe TT1.

No one had a stab at the amp? Thought some of you might GUESS it was a Blackstar! HT-20 (EL34, FIXED and cathode bias. Some solid state bits in the signal path) Driving, as I said, a Greenback in a modified HiWatt combo cab (W570 H450 D270mm)

Dave.

Thanks
    The right hand mic was the crap dymo, so crap I think that I shall rig another test with my shiny new Prodipe TT1.
    Try moving the mics a bit further away from the centre of the cone - you may find the preferences reversed. You probably already know that my favourite guitar mic was never intended to be used as a mic. It is a Sennheiser HD400 (but I'll blame Mike Skeet for the original idea).
    JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration
    http://www.jrpmusic.co.uk

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesperrett View Post
    Try moving the mics a bit further away from the centre of the cone - you may find the preferences reversed. You probably already know that my favourite guitar mic was never intended to be used as a mic. It is a Sennheiser HD400 (but I'll blame Mike Skeet for the original idea).
    The mics were "stacked" James, one above the other on about a 25mm centre so the were both in the same vertical plane of the cone. The dymo just sounded 'dull' to me.

The exercise was not intended to give a definitive 'super tone', more to show the sort of levels you get in a DAW for a known SPL at the cone and in the room.....SO many people seem to get in mess with this?

Will do the French job in a few hours, must pit now!

Dave.

Thanks
    "Sennheiser HD400 " Just gets me headphones?

Dave.

Thanks
    "Sennheiser HD400 " Just gets me headphones?

Dave.
    Wacky......I know.........but lots of headphones can be used as a mic..........normally not with good results...........but essentially they can work as a mic. When I was young........back before the wheel.......I remember plugging in a set of headphones into the mic jack of a cassette recorder. With the input fader pushed all the way.......I could record. Just my 2 cents.
    Just A Song Writer..........
    www.reverbnation.com/mickster

Thread Information