Closet doors or shutters as acoustic diffusers???

RecordingMaster

A Sarcastic Statement
Hi there,

I was at a second hand store today and something dawned on me. Everywhere I go I'm always looking for objects that could replicate or act as a makeshift diffuser in my recording studio. I know they come in all different styles but the most important thing is that it needs to be irregularly shaped and have hard surfaces in order to diffuse the sound properly, right?

That being said, I saw some closet doors (the ones with slats in them tilting downwards). I was wondering if any of you know or think that something of that design would act as a diffuser. Another idea would be shutters like you'd have outside on a house or those set wood blinds (the ones you can't raise up) that have a stem that runs down the center so you can adjust how open they are.

See attached pictures for examples of the style I am referring to.shutters2.jpgShutters-BiFold-Kitchen-Detail.jpg

I wonder...................

What do you think (or know)?

You'll get vibrations and buzzes from the many loose components. If you used fixed louvers, like on a closet door, that would not be as much an issue.

Everywhere I go I'm always looking for objects that could replicate or act as a makeshift diffuser in my recording studio.

Real diffusers are not angled slats or random surfaces. Even curved panels which you often see in studios are not real diffusers. Such shapes can help avoid flutter echo in large rooms, but they're not very useful in a bedroom size studio. Much more here:

All About Diffusion

--Ethan

Real diffusers are not angled slats or random surfaces. Even curved panels which you often see in studios are not real diffusers. Such shapes can help avoid flutter echo in large rooms, but they're not very useful in a bedroom size studio. Much more here:

All About Diffusion

--Ethan
Excellent video, Ethan. It played fine fore me. I've read a lot of your articles, but never saw this video.

I knew diffusion was A LOT more involved than just throwing a closet door onto a couple walls of my live room, however I was hoping maybe it would do something rather than nothing. But the more I thought about it, all's I could picture was that the uniformly angled slats on a closet door/shutter would only shoot the sound diagonally and not scatter like a diffuser should. So I guess it would really be quite ineffective and a waste of space, and would have little to no effect in the finished product.

Although you'd have to admit, they DO kind of look like they'd do something. Power of suggestion I guess! :) Thanks for the replies.

Hi i am here mmm actually i just want to say you here that i am recently start Shutters business where i am making windows shutters shop shutters and other all type of shutters and this is good business to do with a reasonable profit i have also installed windows shutters in my home and all the rooms which is a good way to crossing the air....

hmmm . . . I'm pleased to see you have a good way to crossing the air. Probably nothing worse than uncrossed air.

However, as you have read above, you're not likely to do much business selling shutters here.

hmmm . . . I'm pleased to see you have a good way to crossing the air. Probably nothing worse than uncrossed air.

However, as you have read above, you're not likely to do much business selling shutters here.

Never saw that post on this thread (assuming HR deleted it). But the quote is pretty hilarious!

Back