You know how a dog will look at you and sometimes cock his head from side to side?

Michael Jones

Well, those are the looks I get when I ask about O.C. 703 pannels at the local building supply store.
Has anyone actually ever seen these in captivity?

I can't even find 703 pannels on the Owens Corning web-site.
Anyone else have any luck in finding these?

Yeah, same problem. for my particular problem John sayers said I could use regular batting. But you need to find a contractor who specifically does insulation. Knauff Fiberglass does an equivalent to the 703. The Owens Corning Website lists it only as Series 700 Rigid Fiberglass, 703 won't come up. Home Depot and the like won't be useful.

http://www.owenscorning.com/comminsul/products.asp?product=1&system=83

http://www.llinsulation.com/whls.htm

http://www.glass-cell.com/index.htm

http://www.dashco.com/index.html

Peace,
SoMm

Re: You know how a dog will look at you and sometimes cock his head from side to side?

owning jack russell terriers...I'd have to say yes...

insulation... aaahh...ah uummm

I haven't been able to locate any locally either. Isn't it the same stuff they use on ducts with the silver paper covering? Can that stuff be used somehow, anyone know? Does the covering matter if you are going for low end absorption?

"Does the covering matter if you are going for low end absorption?" -

Depends on how porous the covering is. Absorption implies that the sound will be "absorbed" - (duh) Sooo, if the covering is foil or other airtight material, no good.

The way bass traps work is by acoustical resistance. The pressure wave has to fight to get thru the material and then fight to get back, and in so doing generates heat (helps if the absorbent is at max velocity point, which is NEVER at a boundary). the heat is converted bass (sound) energy. If the sound can't get thru the material, nothing is absorbed.

Same as if you covered your Auralex panels with foil...

Thought I had saved a link to a couple of sources, but that's what I get for thinking... Steve

Re: You know how a dog will look at you and sometimes cock his head from side to side?

Michael Jones said:
Well, those are the looks I get when I ask about O.C. 703 pannels at the local building supply store.
Has anyone actually ever seen these in captivity?

I can't even find 703 pannels on the Owens Corning web-site.
Anyone else have any luck in finding these?

Yeah, it's kinda like asking for resilient channel...

Commercial insulation suppliers carry the stuff. I don't think they come in "panels" per se unless you get the black backed theatrical boards. They are merely sheets of fiberboard insulation. 2'x4' or 4'x8' Call O.C. or Knauf and they can give you a local distributor for your area. I've bought tons of it.

It's expensive stuff; and contrary to popular opinion, you can get it from Home Depot on special order. At my local spot (near San Diego, CA), the minimum order quantity is 25 boxes of the stuff. Here's what I got:

13 boxes of 1-in 2x4 sheets at $58.80/box ($5.89/sheet)
7 boxes of of 2-in 2x4 sheets at $58.95/box ($11.78/sheet)
5 boxes of 3-in 2x4 sheets at $123.75/box ($17.68/sheet)

Needless to say I'm gonna have some extra (my room's only about 400 sq. ft., generously measured). No reasonable offers refused, though I have no idea whether or not I'll be able to get anyone to ship it.

Alex

Alex W said:
It's expensive stuff; and contrary to popular opinion, you can get it from Home Depot on special order. At my local spot (near San Diego, CA), the minimum order quantity is 25 boxes of the stuff. Here's what I got:

13 boxes of 1-in 2x4 sheets at $58.80/box ($5.89/sheet)
7 boxes of of 2-in 2x4 sheets at $58.95/box ($11.78/sheet)
5 boxes of 3-in 2x4 sheets at $123.75/box ($17.68/sheet)

Needless to say I'm gonna have some extra (my room's only about 400 sq. ft., generously measured). No reasonable offers refused, though I have no idea whether or not I'll be able to get anyone to ship it.

Alex
alex,how many 2x4 pieces are you getting per box on the one inch stuff?whats the density per sqaure foot?
i picked up some rockwool bats today(2x4x4 4lb density)15 bats was 104.65.the company i got it from also makes a 2x4x1 rigid rockwool panel with 8 pound per square foot density.($21.00 per box,8 per box)
i never had to buy this stuff befor,but that seemed like a decent price.(is it?)

later
sheppard

The density of OC 703 is 3.0 lbs/cu. ft.; so at 1-inch, this works out to 0.25 lbs/sq. ft. There are 10 sheets in a box.

Rockwool is definitely more affordable. I picked up 2-in batts, 2.5 lbs/cu. ft. for $34.75/box with 12 2x4 batts in a box.

IMHO, the 703 is easier to work with and attach in absorbers, but you definitely pay for the convenience.

Alex

Alex, I'm just over in Phoenix. Email me and let me know what you will have left and how much you want for it. We can figure out someway to get it over here. I can just come get it over a weekend if I need to. texroadkill@yahoo.com

Scratch that. I just found a dealer here in town.

Southwest Insulation 602-272-6806

they have 1 1/2"- 2x4 for $5.84 with a minimum $50 order.

What is the best way to install in a house without messing up the walls? (It's a rental) I was thinking about hanging them from the ceiling a few inches off of the walls. Will that work or do they need to be rigidly mounted to work for absorption? I'm more concerned with the room sound then I am in soundproofing.

TexRoadkill said:
Scratch that. I just found a dealer here in town.

Southwest Insulation 602-272-6806

they have 1 1/2"- 2x4 for $5.84 with a minimum $50 order.

What is the best way to install in a house without messing up the walls? (It's a rental) I was thinking about hanging them from the ceiling a few inches off of the walls. Will that work or do they need to be rigidly mounted to work for absorption? I'm more concerned with the room sound then I am in soundproofing.
I made some 2'x4' frames out of 1/2" stock with masonite backing for the pyramid foam I have in my current studio/room. I didn't want to glue that stuff to the wall.
It works good.
Pre-drill 2 or 4 small holes in the frame, and nail it to the wall.
Small nails, the hole's no worse than a picture frame would be.

lg-89718.jpg

how much do you have left...

... and are you near an airport. I fly down to Palomar pretty frequently. I might be in the market for some. Any time I can turn a flight into a mission I always enjoy it much more.

Let me know.

Cheers, RD

Back