Would this work?

kkh961216

Hi, im moving to an apartment this september, and was wondering if this would work for an opera singer to record without being a nuisance to neighbors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qviJeJ4oJyc

It's basically a box with soundproofing that goes around the mic. For me, it doesnt matter if the recording sound subpar, as long as it can keep my neighbors happy.
Thanks for taking your time to answer!

this isn't going to soundproof anything, you are better off with a reflection filter for this kind of thing, this is acoustic treatment NOT soundproofing, to soundproof a room costs serious money building stud walls and layer upon layer of different materials, as you can imagine it costs a lot of money, I wouldn't recommend building the box, it's a waste of money.

^^^^
What he said.

An opera singer in an apartment building? Everyone will hear it, no matter what you do. Doing some acoustic treatment to make the recording sound half-decent is the best you can expect.

Hi, thanks for the replies

Then i also assume that doing the same treatment to a wardrobe won't do much either.

which would be it be more likely: for my upper, lower, or the side neighbors to hear me ?

Hi, thanks for the replies

Then i also assume that doing the same treatment to a wardrobe won't do much either.

which would be it be more likely: for my upper, lower, or the side neighbors to hear me ?

Depends on the construction of the building, etc. Many modern apartment buildings have concrete floors, so less sound would go from floor to floor - can you hear osmeone waling in the floor above? Someone talking from teh apartment next door?

Im not in the apartment yet, but a friend who is tells me 'well if you yell, you can be heard'. Ahh this is rather depressing.. Are there any cheap solutions? (assuming i dont care about recording quality)

Im not in the apartment yet, but a friend who is tells me 'well if you yell, you can be heard'. Ahh this is rather depressing.. Are there any cheap solutions? (assuming i dont care about recording quality)

You know one thing I have learned over the years is "Cheap" does not relate to sound proofing in any way.

Alan.

I suggest you do three things:

1. Make friends with your neighbors
2. Get them to like your music
3. Make friends with the local law enforcement

Just kidding. As others have said I don't think there's a cheap solution to sound proofing. Good luck!

Back