Is it worth it to make a diffuser that doesnt use math in its design?

AsciiRory

Is it worth it to make a acoustic diffuser that doesnt use math in its design?
I am thinking of building some diffusers that are similar to this:
Vicoustic Multifuser Wood 64 Diffuser
Does it have to use a QRS (Quadratic Residue Sequence) to be relatively effective?
The one in the link above has angled tops which I am not sure are really part of the QRS.
Also, I was thinking of putting some stone panels that have somewhat random heights (but all within a height between 1-3 inches), about 2 ft wide x 6 ft tall between ascoutic asorbent tiles that are 2x2ftx6 ft high.
Any thoughts? I cant afford to have an acoustician work this out for me, but would like to get a LEDE style sound in the recording room. This is for my basement studio, the recording area of which is approx 11ft wide x 18ft long. The control room is 11ft x approx 13ft.

-Rory McDonald

I guess I wouldn't just go random when there are plenty of plans online for these kind of "skyline" diffusers. All you need is a miter saw and a lot of 2x2 lumber or similar, and a backing piece of plywood. A friend built a couple for his (pro) studio. And, there are other kinds, but beware, these suckers are heavy, so make sure you've got a place to mount them.

The maths involved stretches me to work out, but the purpose of a diffuser is to work over a wide bandwidth and provide even dispersion. The reflection of each element needs to be balanced and not combine to reinforce the effect at certain frequencies, or in certain directions - so the maths is just a way to design the device to do this. If you create one out of the usual 2x2 timber, with random cross cut angles, can you guarantee that some will not be identical or very close, providing an emphasis in a certain direction? ThMind youe maths seeks to prevent this. Mind you, the random ones I have made a few times all work better than NO diffusion.

Don't get all hung up on the science.

Did you know that a bookcase filled randomly with books and such behind you makes an excellent diffuser?

No mathematics involved. No science involved. No audio engineering degree involved.

Yet it works.
:D

Back