Is This Worth It Or Just Stupid?

Swift Asbestos

Hey everyone , I'll try to make this as quick as possible -

Planning on building a small studio (like a shed-studio) outside

Space is not a problem , not even the noise ..

The wooden shed will probably be like 12'x12'...
After I'll get the shed I will have to manage to insulate it from :
Rain , humidity/moisture , heat etc.

Point is , what is the best way to insulate a wooden shed? (not the cheapest way , just the best way)

I'm more concentrated on the insulation than the soundproofing -
What materials should I use to perfectly keep the shed cool as hell during a really hot summer?

What part of the world are you in?

Budget considerations?

12' x 12' is a bad idea. Square is a bad idea. In fact, synnetry is a bad idea.

Think about walls that are NOT parallel. Consider that the best place to sit/monitor sound is going to be 38% from the wall you'll be facing.

There's really too many important considerations to cover here.

A few off the hip, low-budget considerations:

Choose a site to minimize exposure to afternoon sun, if possible. Near a wooded are to the south and/or west.

12" - 24" roof overhang.

Minimal window openings.

Position one small window to recieve breeze from direction of prevailing wind; a second on opposite wall.

Assuming wood frame construction: 2" x 6" stud walls, pack with highest R-value insulation 6" allows.

I shouldn't have even started. This is a very complex subject.

Last edited:
I'm in Europe right now , Italy , and during summer it's just an eternal torture for me, it's just way too hot..
My budget supports any kind of costs -
The shed will probably cost like 2000$

And I'll like to add electricity , A/C or a fan would be cool to clean up the air inside

Plus there will be a lot of expensive equipment inside , so i'll need to insulate it real good

Fans don't cool, they just blow air from one place to another (it feels cool to the skin, because it is helping evaporation). You'll need air conditioning, and unless you have a much bigger budget, you wont' be able to get any kind of 'silent' HVAC going, so that means shutting it down when recording.

Yeah...studios with a decent amount of gear need AC.

Fans can help, if you put one say...in the doorway to suck the hot air out...but you still need some kind of cool air coming in somewhere.

Wood, unless it is 150mm Teak or Oak is transparent to bass frequencies and so you will need to line the walls and ceiling with plasterboard (sheetrock USA?) Preff' a double layer. You can get PB with a heat reflective foil surface.

Yes, cooling the place will be an issue. You might only be able to work in the cool, small hours.

Dave.

Back