wooden v.s carpeted flooring

Well, I'm going to try to find out. I've got about 8x8 on the floor I can cover easily, and that's about 1/2 of the 125 sq ft in the room. Have a couple pieces of ADX in the shed and might try that later...too busy with other stuff now, but I'll let you know if it was a waste of time when (if) I ever get it done.

Fun to watch you two. Not going to pick sides, just snicker a bit...:D

Wise man! What's ADX Ken?

Dave.

Well, I'm going to try to find out. I've got about 8x8 on the floor I can cover easily, and that's about 1/2 of the 125 sq ft in the room. Have a couple pieces of ADX in the shed and might try that later...too busy with other stuff now, but I'll let you know if it was a waste of time when (if) I ever get it done.

Fun to watch you two. Not going to pick sides, just snicker a bit...:D

Will b ewaiting for your report! I checked my Pergo in the basement, added more weight to it to get it to bend back but its too dry right now to do anything.

Well, at least YOU "get" that I was referring to your post.....but now I've lost interest......:D
How much interest. I've been having a hard time lately finding any investment over 8%...
Wise man! What's ADX Ken?

Dave.

ACX is finish plywood. "A" quality on one side and junk on the other. Made for furniture stuff as opposed to flooring plywood (CDX) (sorry, guess I confused the two grades when I said A"D"X instead of A"C"X. :)

How much interest. I've been having a hard time lately finding any investment over 8%...

ACX is finish plywood. "A" quality on one side and junk on the other. Made for furniture stuff as opposed to flooring plywood (CDX) (sorry, guess I confused the two grades when I said A"D"X instead of A"C"X. :)
What a good idea! AFAIK we get various grades of ply but the finish is good or poor on both sides. We also have some really ugly stuff called "Sterling Board" Main use is for concrete shuttering but can be used for basic construction. It is a t least totally rot proof.
Apologies for OT. Will stop that now.

Dave.

It all REALY depends on what KIND of wood you are going to go with. Assuming you HAVE made the plunge to rip up that carpet and go with wood flooring and you will "say fuck it and drive to Home Depot, load up a bunch of wood and do it all that day" like some are proposing, one thing to keep in mind is the prep work. Prep work is 9/10ths of the job. Making everything level, checking your slab for moisture content, and god forbid you actually lay 5in wide red oak in your basement and expect not to hear squeaks! And btw, you do not nail wood into concrete. If you do you have much bigger balls than I my friends!

The point being. Check your slab and the area you wish to replace with wood before you buy materials for a job you or your house are just not able to handle without proper preparation.

Ps: ripping up carpet can be a little fun. Ripping up a wood floor can be a BIG bitch!

Back