Why the standard?

rushfan33

I always see people with their desk heights at around the standard 30". Has anyone ever used a set up at barstool height? Are there any problems you see in doing so? I'm leaning towards setting up the mixer around a 30" barstool.

John

rushfan33 said:
I always see people with their desk heights at around the standard 30". Has anyone ever used a set up at barstool height? Are there any problems you see in doing so? I'm leaning towards setting up the mixer around a 30" barstool.

John

Generally, if your in a sitting position where both your feet are planted flatly on the floor, and there is hardly any pressure on the underside of your thighs, you can sit longer.

This is why offices pay attention to this... the want their employees sitting longer :)

I made mine at about barstool height and it's starting to bug me. For recording yourself with electric guitar it is nice because you can stand and walk around and the monitors are at ear height. For everything else it gets annoying.

I'm going to cut mine down when I get my next burst of energy and feel like pulling everything out.

Thanks guys..... I guess I'll keep my feet on the ground! I too won't have much energy when this is "done" so I want to get it right the first time.
John

rushfan33 said:
Thanks guys..... I guess I'll keep my feet on the ground! I too won't have much energy when this is "done" so I want to get it right the first time.
John

Since I have a highly damaged back, I find "leaning back" in a high back chair significantly more comfortable for long hours than sitting upright, feet planted on the floor.

One of the things I intend to do on my console table is build in a foot-rail along the front of the back legs, as a footrest. This way I can lean back a little, put my feet up and be more comfortable. I'm essentially using the chair as a "back cradle".

Took me two years to find high-back leather chairs, where the arms were removable and not structually tying the back of the chair to the seat, AND where the back of the chair was higher than my head, AND not terribly wide around the shoulder area so I could easily play guitar without limiting movement or playing style.

Hey Rush, when I designed my console, it was to be at normal mixer height. Since it was designed for the legs to die into a floating floor as the legs are cable troughs. When I moved, I had to build platforms to act as the floating floor, which brought my console up to a height where it required drafting chairs, which a full 12" higher than a standard steel folding chair. I love it. Especially for playing guitar at the console. here is a section to show the height. It puts my monitors at just the right hieght when they are on the console(not shown) I am in the process of assembling it right now. I'll post a pic soon.

fitZ

Attachments

• mixht.gif
    mixht.gif
    13.6 KB · Views: 62
Rick.... thanks for the insight. After hearing what Frederic said about sitting for longer periods of time, I thought my decision against it was concrete. Then you come along and say how great it is! :mad: Now I'll have to stay up all night brainstorming about it again!:D

Yeah.... it'd be cool to see your pic.

Hello Rush, hey, I have to qualify a couple of things. First, this is not at 42" which seems way too high for my way of thinking. Although, the monitor shelf is right about 42". The wrist pad is at 36 1/2" which is about 5 to 6" higher than standard consoles. Second, the drawing of the chair doesn't show the foot ring which allows for foot support at regular hieght. But if you could sit at my console vs. a standard height I think you would see why I like it. Third, the platform acts as a foot rest also, at standard hieght as it is 5 1/2" high. Perfect for drafting chairs. Of course, the chairs have hieght adjustments so I adjust them so my knees just clear the underside of the frame. No matter what, I love the chairs for playing guitar. Anyway, my .02.
fitZ:)

Well, *I* wasn't trying to force you into something. Different people like different things... that will always be the case :)

Especially Rick, he's a weirdo :D j/k

Me, I like my console will be at "office height", because guess where I work 60-70 hours a week! So anything above or below would feel weird.

And since there is a reason why office furniture is the height it is, I drew the conclusion that mimicing it is not bad :)

Back