who has the most broke-dick monitor stands?

tc4b

Yeah I been drinkin, SO!?
Come on, I blew my budget on drywall and paint and a million other things, I'm tapped and need monitor stands. Who has the most cheap-ass monitor stand solution?

you could stack some cement blocks (12"x12"x2") to the desired height, put a 1/2" layer of heavy carpet foam on top and bottom, and then put your monitors on that. cover the stack with cloth to neaten it up. the block will provide a stable base with low resonance and the compressed foam on the bottom will isolate the stand from the floor, and the top foam - monitor from the block. use spray or contact glue to stick the blocks together - enough so they won't slip easy. you could use just about any block to get the height and mass - its not critical unless you're an audiophile.

4" PVC pipe cemented to shelving, plywood, whatever you got, and a can of spray paint. Maybe some 3M pads on the top & bottom.

you could stack some cement blocks (12"x12"x2") to the desired height, put a 1/2" layer of heavy carpet foam on top and bottom, and then put your monitors on that. cover the stack with cloth to neaten it up. the block will provide a stable base with low resonance and the compressed foam on the bottom will isolate the stand from the floor, and the top foam - monitor from the block. use spray or contact glue to stick the blocks together - enough so they won't slip easy. you could use just about any block to get the height and mass - its not critical unless you're an audiophile.

Nice, I might try that. It also fits in with how much spare time I have for construction!

Just thought I'd post an update. I ended up buying a door for $10 and making it into a desk using some 2x4's I had in the garage. It's not a very deep desk, but it's 7' wide, so no need for stands now.

Just thought I'd post an update. I ended up buying a door for $10 and making it into a desk using some 2x4's I had in the garage. It's not a very deep desk, but it's 7' wide, so no need for stands now.

Dammit - I was gonna show off my $10 set of stands!

***Resurrection Post***

Where should the monitors be vertically in regards to your ears? Mid point of the tweet and cone?

***Resurrection Post***

Where should the monitors be vertically in regards to your ears? Mid point of the tweet and cone?

This is (at least here...) the point I have the flattest response in the mids (400-3k) and great stereo image.
Up or down 1" or a bit more for the bass balance may be necessary, though.

Ciro

Back