Whisper Room ??!!!

Euphoric

I always see these ads in the back of recording magazines for these portable isolation booths aka whisper rooms...Has anybody have one? I think the cheapest one runs for about $1800. Would it be cheaper if I made my own? What type of materials would I use?

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Those pre built gimmicks are just glorified DIYers trying to scam some money out of lazy people like us all. go to Home Depot, or homedepot.com if you must do it all on the net and make one. someone a while back made one using 4 doors hinged together. Seems like a pretty good idea.

I was at Home Depot this evening and bought all the wood, hinges, screws, insulation, brackets, liquid nails, plexiglass and trim to construct my own whisperroom/vocalbooth.
Total cost: $225
Size: 72" x 45" x 80" high

Kristian is right. You can do it a helluva lot easier and cheaper on your own. It's common sense stuff.

I took the double sliding doors off of the closet in my studio, (you know.. the ones that always fall off the track ANYWAY) and put up 1 wall to make an iso booth.
1 door and window were also used though I chose a double pane glass and it sure is a hummer! Man! This window talks! I am able to beat the noise by inserting a thick pad (simliar to the wallcovering) into the window frame. No view, but thats what the videocamera is for.
and btw... I got a lot of inf on how to deaden sound from the net. I went to many companies who sell these products and learned how sound travels through walls and how to reduce volume vs. reflections. May not be top notch, but it beats the hell out of the bathroom.
rj

I want one of those things, but unfortunatly, I don't have space, and like most of us Home Rec.ers I have more time then money. Which is probobly why we should all stop being lazy, and save cash$$$. ;)

omnipotent :)

[This message has been edited by omnipotent (edited 06-16-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by migo:
Go to www.auralex.com

There is something called Max-Wall.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Max-wall is not the same as an iso booth. If you're looking for isolation you will have to buy a pre-made room or build one.
If you're going to build one You're in for some work.
What do you need? If you're looking to decouple the room from the floor it rests upon, you need U-boats from *Auralex* (see that spelling?). On those U-boats you put 2X2's, or 2X4's. 2X2's save on height space. In between those 2X2's put fiberglass insulation. On top of the 2X2's put 2 layers of 5/8" particle wood. Build the walls up off the newly constructed floor. Make the studs 16 inches on center, and put at least two stringers in each section. You know what a stringer is? It's a piece of 2X4 (or whatever material your studs are made of) that goes horizontal from one stud to another. That will strengthen the studs a TON. ex. try pounding a nail into the middle of an unsupported stud... then, try pounding a nail into a stud that has two stringers in it, BIG difference. In the studs put 3" insulation. On the walls put 2 layers of 5/8" particle wood on each side. On at least one side of the wall mount two layers of drywall on resiliant channel (Auralex as well). For the ceiling do it just like the floor, without the u-boats obviously.
For extra sound isolation you can use a 2X6 bottom and top plate, with 2X4 studs and stagger the studs. That is, put the first stud at the front of the 2X6, and the next at the back of the 2X6, hence "Staggered".
For more information on doing this right, check out Acoustics 101 at Auralex. Read it, get to know the theory of what stops sound.

had a question for buck 62

Buck62 said:
I was at Home Depot this evening and bought all the wood, hinges, screws, insulation, brackets, liquid nails, plexiglass and trim to construct my own whisperroom/vocalbooth.
Total cost: $225
Size: 72" x 45" x 80" high

Kristian is right. You can do it a helluva lot easier and cheaper on your own. It's common sense stuff.

HOW DID YOU GET ALL THE SPECS ON MATERIALS USED ON WHISPER BOOTH AND ALSO WANTED TO KNOW ALSO IF YOU HAD THE SPECS ON HOW VOCAL BOOTH DOES THE 3 WAY VENTING ON PLATINUN VERSION OF THEIR BOOTHS.

CHRISGARCIA said:
HOW DID YOU GET ALL THE SPECS ON MATERIALS USED ON WHISPER BOOTH AND ALSO WANTED TO KNOW ALSO IF YOU HAD THE SPECS ON HOW VOCAL BOOTH DOES THE 3 WAY VENTING ON PLATINUN VERSION OF THEIR BOOTHS.

HOW DID YOU GET YOUR POST TO BE ALL CAPS?

oh. er.. nevermind.

:cool:

Back