Where to start with acoustically treating a room

GreenDayFan2170

I'm interested in starting to treat my home studio which is just a bedroom. Since I do my recording/mixing in one room I'm not sure where to start. I'm a drummer so I don't want the room too dead from what I've read. Treatment wise I was thinking behind my monitors and where the first reflections are. Possibly some bass traps too. Also where would the ideal space be for your monitors?
Thanks

You know, I am surprised that there isn't a sticky about where to start. There are thousands of threads about it, but no stuck intro. I need to get to work. :)

HERE is a good starting point.

You know, I am surprised that there isn't a sticky about where to start. There are thousands of threads about it, but no stuck intro. I need to get to work. :)

HERE is a good starting point.

Thanks. That helps I KNOW I need to get my desk out of the corner and I'll probably center it. I'm in a square room. I think I'll pad behind me (how much though?) Bass traps for the corners, behind my monitors and the first reflections. Do you think that'd be good enough to get a better sound I still need some room for my drums (don't I?)
Thanks

Well, a recording room and a mixing room are ideally treated differently. Compromise, when only have one room to work with. Drums are best recorded in a large room, where the room itself, adds some space. If you are recording in a small room, over-treatment is not going to be an issue. The small room, and what is does to the sound is what you want to try to control a bit. Any reflections will not be the good kind.

What are your room dimensions?

Wow, that barely enough room for a kit. It takes a bit more work to hang, but you may want to try straddling the ceiling corners. All of them.

Wow, that barely enough room for a kit. It takes a bit more work to hang, but you may want to try straddling the ceiling corners. All of them.

I've managed to make it all fit though. but when you say straddle the corners what exactly do you mean? Like foam in the corner? Do you think my plan of getting the first reflections, behind the monitors, and the wall on the opposite sides of my monitors would be sufficient enough? a good compromise?

+1 to everything that Jimmy has been telling you. Do have a look at Ethan's site. There are plenty of good reference photos to help as well as videos and other info. My publications page has some calculators that you can download and there is a recommended reading list. :)

Cheers,
John

Like foam in the corner?

I'll let others more knowledgeable than me answer your more specific questions. But I will say this, just because it's what I do: Forget foam. Don't use foam. If you have foam,throw it out. Foam will hurt your sound more than help it, especially in a small room. Read up on proper materials, like rigid fibreglass and other mineral type materials. You need to control your low end and foam doesn't do that.

Yes read up on what happens in a room. And take your time. Acoustics is complicated but, understanding the fundamentals will help you thru the jungle of jargon you’re going to encounter if you go far with this.

As mentioned, drums require space to sound like you think they should. And your space will be a problem if you want that spacious sound.

I am new to the process myself and I found it very interesting that you want a particular balance of absorption and diffusion. Absorption to remove flutter echoes. If the room is bare, clap your hand and notice those short reflections that I think sound like you’re in a pipe. Those are the flutters and you can reduce them with absorption panels made of rigid insulation and other materials like drapes. But too much of that takes away the spaciousness of the room and it sounds dead.

Low frequency control is very difficult, at frequencies below 200 Hz.

The ideal place for monitors is so they project down the longest wall in the room. So if you use the 10 x 12 room they would be backed up against the 10 foot wall.

You can get good sounds from your drums with close micing and blend in the OHs for ambience. I know your kit sounds great already.

For the long haul and your future plans, get a copy of the book The Master Handbook of Acoustics. Chapter 13 goes into detail about how sounds react in a small room; where the standing waves occur and a whole lot more.

Get the program Room EQ Wizard (REW ) and actually measure the room response. There are people willing to take those measurements and give you sound advice.

It's really not that complicated. You don't need to measure anything. In a room with those dimensions, you'll need to trap the hell out of it. As many corners as possible, first reflection points, ceiling over your mixing position and probably over the drums, too. You CAN NOT over do bass trapping, and in a room like this, you'll probably need more than you can fit.

No, you don't need to measure anything. Stacks of money in the corners work great. :)

Or, send me the stacks of money and I'll send you 20 bass traps for under $300. I get to keep the change. :)

It's really not that complicated. You don't need to measure anything. In a room with those dimensions, you'll need to trap the hell out of it. As many corners as possible, first reflection points, ceiling over your mixing position and probably over the drums, too. You CAN NOT over do bass trapping, and in a room like this, you'll probably need more than you can fit.

Okay thanks, that's what I thought too. I think I'll just trap the basic most important areas and see how that affects it. From what I've read every little thing helps.

Back