Where should we position our drums and playback monitors in our very open, unfinished

techn0guy

My band is planning on recording our finals for our upcoming album, we have all of the equipment purchased (SM57's, AKG P170's, Scarlett 18i20 interface, etc). But now we are trying to find the best place to position our drums to get the best sound.

We are running into the issue that the basement we are recording in doesn't have any real structure to it, it's just a giant basement with concrete walls and exposed rafters. Here is a layout I created to give you a perspective.
c7IOD6T.jpg

The dashed lines are black moving blanked we used to break up the room into a more controlled environment and try and reduce the sound. Currently we have the drumset at position A with the back to the moving blanket. But we are running into the issue that one of our symbols is reflecting a mud frequency that you can hear here:

and here is picture of the drum set up:
https://i.imgur.com/5H3Nsfz.jpg

What would be the best position for the drumset for the best sound? Should we put it in the top left corner of the room again the left wall and build a wall in the middle of the room intersecting the stairs? We are on a somewhat tight budget, but want to get the best sound that we come up with.

Also where should our monitors be for playback? Currently we have them on a desk to the right of the door against the bottom wall.

Attachments

• 5H3Nsfz.jpg
    5H3Nsfz.jpg
    768.9 KB · Views: 78
I can hear phase issues with the overheads. Look into Recorderman. A lot of times with drum mikes less is more. Two overheads, two snare (top and bottom) mikes and one or two (if you want a batter mike) kick mikes is really plenty. Cymbals and toms are usually well defined with good overhead placement.
Don't get me wrong, I've gotten completely away from live kits (except at church). My input is based on being a performer IN studio and not being the actual tech doing the work. But I've seen a lot of different kits miked up a lot of different ways and the best recordings I've heard came from more minimalistic set ups.

Sorry, I'm not answering the question. Placement will be kind of trial and error, but as a basic staring point in a really poorly treated environment try placing the drums to where the majority of the mikes are pointing toward your sound absorption. Place the kit in the corner of the blankets to where your mike placements will aim mostly into the blankets and see how that works.

Back