Where to put desk in a rectangular room?

But isn't that what I want? The foam sucks up the sound, therefore when I'm mixing I don't have bouncing off my walls ?

I edited my post above to explain more.

The guy in the video is a good example of what I'm talking about. He went from completely bare walls, to walls with foam on them. He concludes that it sounds great, but what's he basing that on? The fact that it sounds "different"? You could put anything on the walls and it will change the sound. Staple a couple of copses on each wall, and it will sound "dead". But you'll also have the added realism of the odor too. :)

I edited my post above to explain more.

The guy in the video is a good example of what I'm talking about. He went from completely bare walls, to walls with foam on them. He concludes that it sounds great, but what's he basing that on? The fact that it sounds "different"? You could put anything on the walls and it will change the sound. Staple a couple of copses on each wall, and it will sound "dead". But you'll also have the added realism of the odor too. :)

Ohh okay yeah I see your edit :D
So to conclude,
So are you recommending I don't put foam at all, or foam with bass traps, or what?
nice site btw :)

Broadband trapping (a.k.a. "Bass Traps" but not the specifically tuned variety), as much as you can handle, floor-to-ceiling in the corners and high side corners minimum, first reflections and cloud reflections if at all possible.

I haven't seen one studio that doesn't have foam in it though ?
I probably haven't seen a properly treated space that actually needed any.

That said, I can think of dozens (hundreds) of examples where people tossed foam all over the place, screwed and skewed the high end and wound up with muddy recordings, then wondered why.

They didn't take care of 90% of the problematic energy.

Always start with the low end. ALWAYS, every time, without question, without fail, without exception. You can't "overdo" broadband trapping -- You can easily overdo foam. And again, you probably won't need any foam with a proper application of broadband trapping.

You can always add a sheet or two of foam if you need it later (and get decent stuff -- Auralex for example -- Cheap as foamy dirt and reasonably effective. Don't get the FBM-type crap that's about as useful as a bowl of warm sinus fluid).

Broadband trapping (a.k.a. "Bass Traps" but not the specifically tuned variety), as much as you can handle, floor-to-ceiling in the corners and high side corners minimum, first reflections and cloud reflections if at all possible.

I've looked around and it looks like im going to end up building the Bass Traps myself.

Would you happen to know much about this ? Im seeing people use Rockwool, but some saying it can be dangerous for your health. And apparantly fiberglass is costly ( which im assuming probably is if people said it is, cuz I dont have alot of money right now as ive spent it all on monitors, interface etc ) .

See if these GUYSare near you and price out Owens Corning 703, 4" and 2" thicknesses. You can also hunt around for Johns-Manville equivalent which I think are better; I forgot the brand name... FibreBoard or something.

You can (and should) build your own. It doesn't have to be expensive or complicated. A lot of people build wood frames to hold the panels, but I didn't and saved a lot of work and money.

I saw the OC703 on Acoustimac.com and I think they were way overpriced. It's been a long time, but I think I paid about half through SPI (same link).

There are lots of threads in this forum that talk about where and how to hang the panels. Just be a little creative.

hth,

Thanks alot for your help.
I saw a guy selling fiberglass 703for 15 dollars a piece in a town near by.
Aswell found Roxus Sleep n Sound at HomeDepot which people seem to be using. Deffs will be guilding my own basstraps, I just dont know what insulation to buy ahah.

You can (and should) build your own. It doesn't have to be expensive or complicated. A lot of people build wood frames to hold the panels, but I didn't and saved a lot of work and money.

Just out of curiosity Chili, how did you make that work without frames? I'm looking to make myself some traps too and like to hear people's ideas :)

Just out of curiosity Chili, how did you make that work without frames? I'm looking to make myself some traps too and like to hear people's ideas :)
Just the fiberglass or rockwool or whatever your using, and ( preferably ) wrap it in some fabric and hang it in the corner. Depending on what you're using, some materials need framing, some don't. Based on my research so far.

IMO, they all need framing, if you want to be able to hang them easily, and expect them to look decent. You can obviously get good results from the products 'unframed', but if you have a bit of DIY skills, or know someone who does, the expense of a frame is very minimal. OC 703/705. can be just wrapped in fabric as it is quite rigid. Also quite expensive. For the reduction in cost of absorption material when using the less rigid Roxul 80, you can build framed panels for less than an unframed 703 panel, that will perform just as well. Actually better, because you can hang them off the wall to give an air gap that increases performance with controlling low end frequencies.

ye like its really easy to make frame .... 4 pieces of wood, screws, corner bracket and ta-da !
lol

Keeping in mind that the material sits OVER the frame - Not "inside" it -- You want the rigid fiber exposed (behind cloth, of course - but not inside of a frame).

Here's a THREAD that shows what I did with my panels. Basically wrapped in fabric and hung on the wall with carpet tack strips. Not fool-proof, but still pretty good and super cheap. For areas that might get bumped or moved (like on a door) I also used nails to supplement the tack strip. The panel on the door eventually kept falling off and I removed it. I think it wasn't necessary to have a panel there anywyas.

For teh corner traps, tack strips work great.

Keeping in mind that the material sits OVER the frame - Not "inside" it -- You want the rigid fiber exposed (behind cloth, of course - but not inside of a frame).

Yeah, I've seen a lot of threads where guys have built frames around the panel. If I were to build frames, I would put them behind the panel so the panel sits off the wall a few inches. According to Ethan's site, that is the correct way to mount them.

So it kinda sits out in front of the frame? Is it just held in place by the fabric then?

Here's a THREAD that shows what I did with my panels. Basically wrapped in fabric and hung on the wall with carpet tack strips. Not fool-proof, but still pretty good and super cheap. For areas that might get bumped or moved (like on a door) I also used nails to supplement the tack strip. The panel on the door eventually kept falling off and I removed it. I think it wasn't necessary to have a panel there anywyas.

Cool! Thanks for the link, Chili!

Back