Where to put acoustic treatment for best results in my basement studio?

christopantz

Hi everyone,

I've been recording in my basement for a while and have decided it's time I put up some treatment to make the room sound better. I want to do it DIY to get it done cheaply, i.e. building my own broadband absorbers and bass traps. I hope you all can help me figure out what kinds of treatment I need and where I should put it for the best results. I've attached a few sketchup images of my basement, along with a couple actual photos.

The ceilings are 7 feet high and are tile ceilings. The floor is tile on top of concrete, I assume. I've got rugs under the drum area and the desk area, along with a rug under the couch in the lounge area.

Notice that there is a line in the image separating the computer desk/instruments from the "lounge" portion of the basement. I'd prefer not to have to put up any treatment in the lounge portion, and to keep everything in the "music" area.

Screen Shot 2017-07-10 at 8.19.43 PM.pngScreen Shot 2017-07-10 at 8.20.00 PM.pngScreen Shot 2017-07-10 at 8.20.11 PM.pngView attachment IMG_3424.JPGIMG_3425.JPG

Any help that any of you can supply is truly appreciated as I am a novice. Thanks so much! :)

The problem I see with your current set up is non-symmetry of the mixing position - if you could move your desk to where the drums are now, that would be a start, then put bass traps in the front corners for first step.

You don't provide the dimensions of that entire space...but just looking at the pics, it's a very nice size, and I would take that up entire space (screw the lounge) for a studio in a heartbeat. :D

One section as the mix area, the other for the instruments and tracking....and you can always stick the couch from the lounge area at the back of the mix section so you and guests can sit back and listen. :)

You could probably get a lot of mileage cramming pink fluffy stuff into the floor joists above those ceiling tiles. Maybe then replace the tiles above the mix position and/or the drum kit with fabric so the insulation can act as a cloud.

Back