Where to purchase rockwool isulation?

ram3n

I'm in the process of building a wall seperating my control room from my live/drum room. I'm planning on using 4" rockwool as insulation... where can I buy this? I went to a hardware store today and I couldn't find it.

Also, my ceiling and floor are concrete, and I was planning to use some type of foam rubber between the plates and the concrete... any recommendations for this material as well?

An industrial insulation wholesaler

Rock Wool Manufacturing Company
Leeds, Alabama

Maybe do a search for Delta-10 Board to find a supplier close to you.

I found the site and the info. I'll call them on Monday. Does anyone know the quantities in which this must be purchased?

Please confirm that this what I want. I called Rock Wool Manufacturing and I found 3 local dealers. I called them all and 2 of them stock Delta SA-FIRE BOARD Sound Attenuation Insulation. I got all the info I needed, so I'm just checking to make sure this is the correct insulation to use. Here's a link to the site, just click the SA-FIRE BORAD link on the left:
http://www.deltarockwool.com/

Are you trying to isolate, or is this for sound treatment purposes? The board you mention is 3# per cubic foot. If I understand correctly, the higher the density, the better bass absorbtion. My ceiling and rear wall are lined with 10# per cubic foot 2'x4'x2" slabs and does a good job on bass as well as other frequencies. However if you're trying to block sound transmission, then follow John Sayer's recommendations, like resilient channel, steel studs, staggered studs,etc, etc.

Let me explain a bit more what I am doing. I'm in the process of building a wall that will seperate my control room from my drum room. My main purpose is to block/isolate and stop sound transmission from the drum room to my control room (vice versa). So I'm using a staggered stud wall frame. I'm trying to figure out which insulation to use in the wall. From what I've read, I should use rockwool. And I don't know where to get it. I called Rock Wool Manufactoring and searched their website and found the stuff I listed in my previous post. I called my local dealers and got quotes and quantities. So should I be using this, or is their better insulation to stop sound.

I hope this sheds more light into what I'm trying to accomplish.

Flatrock - I play bass and am concerned about low freq sound isolation/transmission. I live 30 min away from you (Smyrna) and was wondering where you got the 10# rockwool.

I've been thinking about a blown-in cellulose, but now I'm wondering if rockwool would be better. I've got another thread going in this forum listed as New Home Studio.

2" thickness by 2' width by 4' length is 23 cents per square foot and there are 48 square feet per bundle. 0.23X48=$11.04 per bundle.

3" thickness by 2' width by 4' length is 30 cents per square foot and there are 32 square feet per bundle. 0.30X32=$9.60 per bundle.

For my staggered stud wall (8'x9'x12'), with a 36" door, it's gonna cost me appx. $50 to insulate. I think I need about 105 square feet of insulation, but I'm going to recalculate it just to make sure before I actually buy the rockwool.

I can elaborate on the costs a bit more:

4" SAB is priced at $11.61 a bag (27 sq ft coverage)
6" SAB is priced at $10.24 a bag (16 sq ft coverage)

(Prices in Atlanta, GA.)

Ram3n - I've re-read all the replies to this thread and I'm thinking about something Flatrock said... 3#/cu ft SAB might not be enough to stop low freq... perhaps looks at Delta10 Board.

You're drums and my bass is about as low a freq as you can go... is SAB dense enough?

Scuppari - I don't know... that's one of the reasons I started this thread. One of my questions: Say product A is denser than product B... is it always the case that case that A will stop more sound (inculding LF) that B???

For example, will a more dense fiberglass insulation stop more sound that a less dense rockwool insulation?
From the answers I've gotten, it seems that just b/c something is denser, doesn't mean it will stop more sound.

But I'm no expert, so I wish others would chime in.

I posted this question on another forum (HC) and have gotten no replies yet?

Your right - the density of the rockwool will not stop the low frequencies. It's MASS that stops low end frequencies and Decoupleing as in resilient channel or staggered studs.

An extra layer of drywall would help more than higher density rockwool - compare the costs.

cheers
John

Haha, thats sweet, 13,5 years, thats a long time ago. Funny what comes up when you use the search mode...

Back