What would be a good size for a hypothetical studio?

Xenophobe01

Hello, all. I haven't posted in a while, but I need your advice. I'm thinking of turning half of my garage into a studio. Here are my dimensions: The main studio (control room) would be 8'x12'x8' with a vocal room (eh? I'm not sure what to call this, it's not small enough to be a booth...whatever) that is 8'x12'x8', big enough for a band (rock, not orchestral) to fit in there. The control room may be separated by a double paned window (thoughts?) with acoustic foam on the walls and ceiling of the vocal room. I was also thinking of getting the TASCAM DM-4800 control board.

I wouldn't drive a nail until reading F. Alton Everest books. One of them is "building a home studio on a budget" or something like that (the title will be obvious).

You can't do much worse (acoustically speaking) than 8x12x8. It's a terrible, terrible ratio to have. And it's terribly small for either a control room *or* a live room.

I won't even get into the worthlessness of acoustic foam... Not that it's truly worthless when it's used for what it's actually good for... But it's only good for covering walls in the movies.

Alan, I can't just turn my entire garage into a studio, my mom needs a place to park her car in the winter! But massivemaster, can you explain what a good size would be for a vocal room? I just want to be able to fit a half stack and a person (at separate times) in there.

I wouldn't worry too much about a vocal room. Just make the studio the biggest space you possibly can given your circumstances.

Alan, I can't just turn my entire garage into a studio, my mom needs a place to park her car in the winter!

Sorry I was being flippant. You know, what could be more important than the studio. With the small amount of space I would have one room and forget about booths/smaller rooms, whatever size you build the room it's always too small, take my word for it.

Alan.

I will agree with the other posters above. I understand the want for the separate rooms, but rooms that size will be practically impossible to get decent results from without insanely extensive treatment...which would then make the rooms even smaller.

Recording while in the same room as the person also makes communication much easier and makes working much more involved with the musicians which is always great too. I would definitely opt for one larger room. Easier to treat acoustically, too.

Back