What type of Glass do you put in vocal booth?

Scenario2G

I am building a vocal booth and I need a 30 x 30 glass.. My question is what type of glass do i get? Cause i dont want any thing to rattle or be to thin so i can hear through it...Thanks

Scenario2G said:
I am building a vocal booth and I need a 30 x 30 glass.. My question is what type of glass do i get? Cause i dont want any thing to rattle or be to thin so i can hear through it...Thanks

I dont understand u. what is the glass ? thanx

Scenario2G said:
If your primary concern is blocking sound transmission, you could double-pane the glass. As far as rattles, if the panes are mounted properly, you shouldn't have any problems with rattles, unless you happen to be tracking a percussionist (ha-ha!)

Bruce

Scenario2G said:

Glass, if mounted improperly, works like a large drum head :)

Anyway, double pane the glass, meaning there are two panes of glass. With the size you seek, 30x30", I would recommend when you make the frame, you make one corner of the glass further away from the other pane. This will require some fancy woodworking abilities (instead of straight spacers, you are making angled spacers) as this will severely dampen the sound going through. This is because the glass panes aren't parallel.

Also, between the glass and the frame, either use rubber gaskets (homemade if necessary) or chaulking or other sealant. Rubber gaskets are better because you can remove the glass at some point :) Chaulked glass is tougher to remove without breaking the glass.

Also - USE SAFETY GLASS. My first studio I used "ordinary glass" and our drummer at the time ended up with a few stitches in his elbow.

Hope that helps,

Frederic

30 X 30 Double pane Glass 2 pieces

Frame your window opening about 30 1/2" X 30 1/2" run a bead of clear silicone caulk, use a peice of moulding, (Painted or stained) between the two sides, angle the pieces so they are not parallel. Finally cut and fit moulding on the outside of each side, seal with the clear silicone.

The dead airspace will be quite sound proof!

Sincerely;

Dom Franco

Look into using laminated glass..............as was suggested use 2 different thicknesses...... AND some laminate glass has a thicker internal membrane. So maybe use 1 sheet of 10mm and the other sheet 8mm with one of them having a thicker membrane.

According to glaziers I have spoken to (and who have already done courses on acoustical damping) this way of doing it is preferable to mounting the 2 sheets out of parallel..............but hell do that as well, it cant hurt.

Peace.....ChrisO

Laminated Safety Glass

I agree with aus rock, you should use laminated glass. Just check the STC (Sound Transmission Class) ratings of the glass you're using, which would more than not depend on the thickness for the best acoustics. I wouldn't go with plexi because it gets scratched easily, dirty and old fast. No one wants broken glass from a rocking session!
http://www.safensoundglass.com

All glass sounds unmusical, I wouldn't use it in a studio, I'd figure out a different way. Twenty years ago I put a sliding glass door in my studio - I don't use it and regret bringing any glass in my studio, just my dumb opinion.

I think Scenario2G must've gotten his glass by now......he asked the question 7 months before my first kid was born and he's 8 now !!

I think Scenario2G must've gotten his glass by now......he asked the question 7 months before my first kid was born and he's 8 now !!

He probably has had the time to do what I did: put in glass, then realize it has no place in a studio because it sounds wretched and then take it out and say "why the fuck did I do that?". :(

Back