What spray adhesive for foam tiles?

StanS

Is there something that would work well for tiles on a ceiling? Can they be removed safely? Which spray adhesive do you all recommend? Looking for something I could pick up at a Home Depot or the like.....thanks.

Stan

I'm not aware of any "spray" adhesives that would support the weight of a ceiling tile. What do you mean by "safely"? If you are real careful, the tile won't smack you in the lips when you remove it. At any rate, liquid nails will hold it...gotta support it somehow while the glue sets....Removal??..better count on some scraping, chiseling, sanding....whatever, and uh, if your ceiling is drywall or plaster....some repairs.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.....these are foam wedge tiles that I would like to place on the ceiling....not "ceiling tiles"....anyone else have a suggestion? Thanks.

Stan

Sorry for the misunderstanding.....these are foam wedge tiles that I would like to place on the ceiling....not "ceiling tiles"....anyone else have a suggestion? Thanks.

Stan

Stan,

> Is there something that would work well for tiles on a ceiling? <

Foam and fiberglass work a lot better when they're spaced away a few inches from the walls or ceiling. The larger the air gap - up to about one foot - the better. So rather than glue your foam directly to the ceiling, they'll work a lot better if you suspend them with threads or string or some such. They'll also be easier to remove when you upgrade to proper acoustic treatment.

--Ethan

I know that would be ideal...but I don't have a few inches even...I just wanted some spot treatment around the area the drums are. The room has a low ceiling.....in the basement. I will probably end up trying some t-pins or the like just to experiment with placement....thanks.

Stan

Stan, Im no expert with regard to audio foam adhesives, but I do know something about adhesives.

3'M Super' series aerosol sprays (eg. Super 77) work well for foam and fabric bonding. Most any # work. Removing them may be a problem. Most spay adhesives are solvent based so follow directions carefully for both health and safety and performance reasons.

Good luck!

3M

I second savageblues.

3M works but you have to give it a good soaking, then let dry till
just tacky so you don't have to hold it up there like a bozo:)

What kind of surface you're attaching to matters also. The smoother the easier (less holding time).

You probably would have to do minor superficial repairs when you remove them.

Yup Home Depot has em..
T

:laughings:

The thread is 15 years old/dead...and they were talking about acoustic "tiles", not floor tiles...but I think they got it sorted it out by now.

Gotta love spambots! :p

:laughings:

The thread is 15 years old/dead...and they were talking about acoustic "tiles", not floor tiles...but I think they got it sorted it out by now.

Gotta love spambots! :p

The spam is gone now, so it looks like you're just talking to yourself. :)

Back