What sound absorption material should I use?

Sound absorption materials?

• Foam is the best. Sorry...

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Egg crates!!

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • Pillows

• Blankets

Votes: 4 16.7%
  • Just stick a mic in your closet and be done with it!

• sing in the shower and replace the curtain with a blanket

• Shoji screen?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other...

Votes: 13 54.2%

• Total voters

Shaky Tee

Between being and nothing
So, I was perusing this thread in the N-Track forum and, when one guy started discussing how he used egg crates as a sound absorption technique, and another guy stated that he used bubblewrap as a sound absorption technique it got me thinking about this voice over article from Electronic musician . I had been wondering about putting together a make-shift vocal booth (something that I can fold and store when not in use, for obvious reasons), and I think I've gotten some ideas on how to put one together.

I don't think I can afford the wood and foam deal, and I think a strictly foam deal would be out of the question, finanically. Also, given my current space contraints, I can't staple anything to the walls. What do you think should work?

Shakey - the easiest way to get a tight vocal sound is to step outside :):) yes - open air is the best acoustic space you can find.

cheers
JOhn

SHEEP!!! Definitely sheep.

Just install some screwhooks in the ceiling, tie the back ankles of the sheep together and truss the wooly little buggers up on the hooks. When you aren't recording just put them out to graze for a while.............and just think of those roast lamb dinners:D

BBBAAAAAAAAAAA

SHAKY TEE?

If that's you Helen, I suggest singing in bed under the covers...and I'll come hold the torch for you. lol

Alec (the one with the wonderdog)

ausrock said:

Just install some screwhooks in the ceiling, tie the back ankles of the sheep together and truss the wooly little buggers up on the hooks. When you aren't recording just put them out to graze for a while.............and just think of those roast lamb dinners:D

BBBAAAAAAAAAAA
wouldnt they bleet thru onto the vox track?
sheppard

Actually Shakey - if you can't even staple to the walls why not go out and buy 4 sheets of semi-rigid fibreglass and lean them against the walls.

Cheers
JOhn

ALEC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh, my GOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!

Alec, the problem is the people you'd have to share it with, LOL!!!

John, it's so noisy in my area (freeway running by and all that), that frankly, the inside would be preferable.

The rigid fiberglass looks interesting, tho'. I'll look into it! :)

Shaky, call up Owens Corning and find out who in your area is a commercial fiberglass reseller. Call them and find out what the minimum order is for OC 703 (that is rigid fiberglass). Here in Phoenix it is about $5 for a 1.5"x2'x4' sheet with a $50 minimum order. That should be plenty to slightly deaden a small to med sized room.

ausrock said:

BBBAAAAAAAAAAA
Can you use goats??
They're a little easier to come by here in Central Texas.

I let my dirty laundry accumulate in the corners to handle those low frequencies, and I've built diffusors from empty beer boxes. I also tie my children together @ 90 degree angles for gobos ("no talking damnit").

Works well for me... ;)

cellardweller said:
I let my dirty laundry accumulate in the corners to handle those low frequencies, and I've built diffusors from empty beer boxes. I also tie my children together @ 90 degree angles for gobos ("no talking damnit").

Works well for me... ;)
Dude thats awesome, I only have one kid right now but i think I need to have some more if I want decent acoustics. I think my wife will go for it.

Right on. Look what this post did for my post #

Ok I made more posts. Its not funny anymore>>

Last edited:
Back