What next?

davecg321

I have a humble home setup that consists of the following

Presonus firestudio project
Cubase 8
Rode nt1a
Rode m3
SE Vocal booth

I have £300-400 to invest. What would be then next thing on everybody's list given my budget. Better mic? Preamp?

Tah

Ya monitors. Something that is dedicated studio monitors that will give you a good reference to work from. NOT HOME SPEAKERS. I tried that and my mixes were off when I tried them out on other speaker systems. I fought it for years but I finally broke down and ordered a set of Yamaha HS8's. I got them used on eBay in like new condition. They're coming Monday.

I've had a set of NS-10's for years but didn't like them because they had a very weak low end and I couldn't hear anything well enough to mix it. The HS8's should have a better bass response. I think I'll like them. Yes I bought them without hearing them, but they come highly recommended by many very good sources as great mixing monitors, best monitors under $1,000 one says. Yes you may be able to find better sounding monitors but they color the sound and your mixes won't transfer well to other systems.

Last edited:
hey, i totally forgot to put down what monitors I already have. They are M-Audio av40s. I was thinking of upgrading to a pair of Rockits

Yeah, the Rokit 8s are decent and there are people here using them, but for the money, the JBL 308s have a better freq response and go down a bit lower on the bottom...worth looking into. They run $250 each, but I have no idea what that means in pounds...but a quick check at Andertons showed me a pair with stands for 350 quid.

On You Tube, there are video demoes of the Yamaha HS8's vrs the JBL 308's and the Rockits. In the demo I saw, the Rockits sounded muffled in comparison to the JBL's and Yamahas. The Yamaha's sounded crisp and clean to me. The JBL 308's also sounded good. So for me it was a contest between the HS8's and 308's. The plastic face on the JBL's didn't appeal to me. Yamaha has a long reputation of decent monitors. So for me the HS8's won out, but I came very close to getting the JBL's.

But the budget was 400 quid. The HS8s run 231 ea or 469 with the stands...they are a bit more expensive. Worth listening to if you can step up a few more pounds, Dave.

Yes, indeed. I actually overspent my budget by about $150 to get my M-Audio M3-8s, but I've never looked back. Great decision.
Not arguing, just making notice that he'd have to come up with some extra to get there. :)

Back