What material is this????

R

RAMI

A friend of mine gave me "sound panels" (as he calls them) from his work. I'm not sure what they're made of, and my camera isn't working right now, so I can't post a picture. But, hopefully my description will help identify the material.

They're 8'X4' panels, they weigh about 40-60lbs each. The best way to describe what the material looks like is that it literally looks like a bunch of hardened spaghetti sprayed with white spray paint. Is this fibre glass hardened with some kind of resin???

I'll try to get a picture up, but I'm not even sure if a picture will show the "spaghetti" detail.

Any idea on what I have here???

Thanx.

How thick are they?? If they are 4" thick, that would put them between 4 and 6 pounds per cubic foot (based on your guessed weight). That might work well. Just for reference, OC703 is 3pcf.

How thick are they?? If they are 4" thick, that would put them between 4 and 6 pounds per cubic foot (based on your guessed weight). That might work well. Just for reference, OC703 is 3pcf.

Thanx Chili. No, they're about only 1" thick, but dense and heavy as hell. I've just never seen un-covered panels (I already have 4 other 2" thick panels, but they were already covered when I got them), so I don't know if this mass of hard, white spaghetti is what un-covered rigid fibreglass looks like after it's been "treated".

sounds like soundboard to me

Is this good for absorbtion? I would imagine that because of their thickness (or lack thereof), they're probably more suited for walls, not corners, to absorb mids and highs as opposed to lows.

Still trying to find out if it's fibreglass.

I'm gonna get some batteries for my camera tomorrow. I promise. :D

At COSI (Center of Science & Industry) in Columbus, Ohio, they had a sound area that had something like you are describing. It was spaghetti like material and it was covered with an aluminum mesh (for protection I guess). You walked in there and your ears would pop.

No, they're about only 1" thick, but dense and heavy as hell.

It´s hard to say where (frequencies) it works; note that even cutting your 8 x 4 panels in the middle and making 2 x 4 x 2", rockwoll/fiberglass , 128kgm/³(pretty dense) is not too heavy compared with...

These panels has, probably, low coeficient absorption even in the mids (for being too dense/heavy- but it´s my "guess")
(If the panels are at your home, why not try -ex::- 4 (four) (let´s say), "spread" in the walls and hear what happens)?

Good luck,Rami!

Ciro

I went ahead and took some pics of Rami's actual panel to be able to show the texture....

Attachments

• DSCF3495.jpg
    DSCF3495.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 63
  • DSCF3496.jpg
    DSCF3496.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
Then I found this in my online searches:
1%20WWCB.jpg

This type of board is called: Wood Wool Cement Board (WWCB), so with a quick google, I got this:

http://corakmas.com/acoustic.htm

I believe this case is closed!! :p:D

Back