What kind of desk would you build? (pics included)

I apologize for the small size of the picture, I had to shrink it to fit it on here. Anyway, as you can see my current setup isn't very ideal for monitoring anything. I've wanted to build a desk for this sucker for a while, but I haven't got around to it really except drawing out ideas. As it stands, the mixer is sitting on a crappy folding table I've had sitting around for years, and it holds pretty sturdy, but sometimes I get nervous about it.

Basically what I want is nothing special, I have no real outboard gear so I don't need racks or anything, but I want like a shelf kind of thing at the back to sit monitors on, because obviously this board doesn't have a meter bridge or anything to place them on. This (was) a live board, so the road case is pretty much built in unfortunately. I guess if I really wanted to I could remove it, but it would be quite a hassle and I'd probably end up killing the board seeing as the transformer (I believe it is...the box thing) is bolted to the bottom of the inside of the case. So point is, the thing has to stay, which makes it quite inconvinent.

The width of the mixer (measuring the roadcase, since it sticks out) is 38" and the depth is about 23". I haven't built anything this big before, but I have help from someone who knows what they are doing...I just have to do the 'vision' part and I'm a pretty decent drawer, so I can sketch stuff up. I was just wondering what you guys thought I should do.

I was thinking stuff like having a base that the board basically 'sits' in, so the roadcase part is sitting in it, and going from there...or maybe somehow building/buying sturdy legs and you sit the board on it...but then I don't know how you'd go about attaching a back part for monitors and such. I'm probably not making a whole lot of sense..but I hope the picture gives you guys some ideas. Thanks...

Attachments

• board.jpg
    board.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 209
Heh, it's nothing special, trust me. It's an "Audiopro 16-S". Yorkville made them back in the 80s. This one in particular was built in 1983. A lot of the faders wiggle a lot from use over the years...stuff like that. I managed to buy new fader pots over the summer and that helps. It's that darned roadcase that makes building a desk seem so difficult!

Back