-------------what do i need to start and what should i buy!? ------------

Sparkyradio

Hello everyone :)

I just moved into my own apartment and i have a spare bedroom which i plan to turn into my own personal studio. I am a vocalist and a guitarist and my brother plays percussion. I have been recording for a few years now everything I've learned about recording was through forums, youtube tutorials, and trial and error. The makeshift studio I've put together is a headache to get working, which ruins any mojo I have flowing when i go to record, and the quality of the recordings are honestly pretty poor. I use a Mic(Sterling ST55) with a cheap 1/4" ->USB adapter and the Reaper trial version on my computer. My computer has a basic sound card, nothing special whatsoever. I'm coming to you brilliant people today because I need to start fresh! I would like to build an easy to use, reliable studio. As of right now soundproofing and all that jazz is a luxury, not a necessity. My priority is what sound equipment to buy, with a budget of lets say... $2,000.

What all do I need, from the ground up? A new computer?? or can i just buy a new soundcard for the computer I have now? What software should I get? What equipment should I buy that will work smoothly with that software? Is a Sterling ST55 the right microphone for me? What all do I need to make good quality recordings EASILY? I would be very grateful to anyone who helps me make this dream a reality! I'll be sure to post my results! :)

To give you an idea of what i will be recording, my main styles I play are Acoustic, Southern Rock, Jazz, Blues, Funk, etc. My brother plays drum set although lately we've been shifting toward a two man gig with him on the Djembe.

P.S. Right now I have a Epiphone ES-335 Pro, a Martin DCX1E Acoustic guitar, and a VOX AC30 tube amp. If you any recommendations for a small studio amp, that would be appreciated as well. I've heard there are some small amps out there that can really wail!

Thank you for reading this and I hope u can help me! :D
,Colton

Read the newbie stickies in the newbies section of the forum. Yeah, you've been recording, but you need to get back to basics.
First thing, is a proper audio interface, with as many mic preamps for as many microphones that you will ever be using at one time to record.
There is no 'trial version' of Reaper - its the full version, you just have to shell out the $60 to register it and stop the annoying reminders.
Forget 'sound proofing' 0in a spare bedroom in an apartment, you will never achieve this. What you can do, though, is some acoustic treatment - bass traps, as many as you can fit into that room.
And you're going to need some monitors too.

Back