Want to start building a studio in new house and need help

Farrestor

Hey Guys,

I am a noob, but I thought I would get better input in here after reading some posts on here. I was just wondering where you guys think I should locate my equipment and where to put foam placement. I have a rectangle room that has two doors to two different rooms. I know the monitors run down the long way, but I also have a 4X7 inlet to a window with a downsloping roof in the inlet and a closet on the back wall. What i was wondering is where you would recommend putting my computer and monitors and should i make a vocal booth in the inlet? Where should I locate drums maybe and where should I put foam. I apologize for being vague and a newb but any help would be really appreciative.

The room is shaped this way.(Sorry this is best I can do I suck as artist)

14X9 ft is room size, on the back wall there is door and closet on front wall just a door on the long sides of wall there is a 4.5X7 ft inlet with a sloping downward ceiling towards a window. 8ft ceilings and upstairs room with doors to two rooms on both ends of short wall.

Last edited:
Please Please Please? Any advice on room layout and where i should put everything including foam and a vocal booth?

Ok, first of all, relax. :) You only posted 1 hour ago. This isn't a call centre with "agents standing by to help you". :D

As far as what to put where, a general rule to keep in mind is that you want to do as much as you can in the bigger room. Forget about "vocal booths", and certainly forget about FOAM. If you can get your drums, monitors and vocal mic all the same room, then do that.

Foam is only useful sometimes, after you've properly treated the room with bass traps in as many corners as you can get them in. These bass traps cannot be made of foam or they will not do what they're supposed to do, which is trap bass frequencies. There are a few proper materials, but the best is rigid fibreglass panels. You should, if possible, also put some trapping above your listening area, and over the drums, if possible.

I'm sure others with more knowledge than me will come in with more specific advice based on your room dimensions, which I'm not qualified to do.

I hope this helps. :cool:

Thanks So much for reply, and sorry about being impatient. So should I try to put a bass trap in the top corners in every corner of the room and the bottom corners? (Sorry told you I was a noob). And what exactly do you mean over the drums? Behind the drums and on the ceiling above the drums put what material and kind? Thanks for you help! I appreciate the advice.

Hey Farrestor, welcome to HR. Don't worry about not knowing anything, we all started there. But your bass traps will need to run vertically http://recforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/fa/6491/0/ (like this). Like RAMI said though, these should be made out of Rigid Fiberglass (with a density or 3 pcf). Owens corning 703 is pretty standard. The same stuff should go above your drums and your mixing area (worry about your corners first though, I still don't even have panels over my drums and desk).

Drew

Thanks so much Re-tox for the help! I am definatley a guitar player first and a recorder second but I'm wanting to change that and I really enjoy messing with the technical side so hopefully I can become alot better. I was wondering if you didn't mind posting another link of your vertical bass traps, the link that u posted didnt' work for me. and thank you guys alot I am loving this website and plan on bugging you guys daily :P.

DSCF2296.jpgThat was just a picture I found on google, but here is on of the pictures from my setup. My traps are only 4'x2'x4", but they get the job done. Also I realize that this is really just a picture of my drum kit, but you can see enough of the trap to get the picture :)

Drew

Back