Vocal Isolation

djdarwin

Hey Everybody,

I record vocals on a regular basis. This is the only form of live recording I am involved with. No drums, no micing of guitar amps or live strings/brass. I currently do not have a isolation booth to record these vocals. This means i hear my everything from my computer's fan to my neighbors flushing their toilet. During compression and EQ this extra noise becomes a large problem for me.

Get to the point right...

Anyway... i dont want these noises to be picked up on my condenser mic. I also dont want my neighbors or roomates who live in my house to be able to hear me recording my takes. I cant give a true performance knowing half the house is listening to me belt out the takes.

Is there any low budget and homemade or commercial products available that will keep the backround noises out of my tracks and keep my voice out of the rest of the house?

Any tricks with 2X4s and mattresses and blankets to pull this off? As i said there will be no loud or low frequency sounds to be absorbed. Just vocals.

Any comments are greatly appreciated.

Auralex Sheet Block. It's not cheap, but it won't change the sound of the room much. Sorry if this doesn't help!

dj,
Unfortunately for everyone, soundproofing needs mass; meaning walls.. made of (for example) gypsum boards, metallic light structure and fiberglass wool inside the partitions. Solid door, sealed.
Mike

Back