vocal booth design please help!!!

mr. produca

i need some help guys.
i had some guys come in today to take some measurements in a extra bedroom that im trying to make my recording studio. the room measures 20x10ft. i think its a good size, anyway i was thinking of making the vocal booth 5x7ft and putting acoustic foam on 75% of the walls. do you think will make for a good sounding vocal booth.
if i put it on 100% of the walls will this effect the sound negatively?
please help i really dont mean to be a nagg.

myself, I have'nt come across any good answers about vocal booths around here.........

who has built one? what did you use for construction, isolation, acoustic treatment? how well does it work for you?

i guess this a really bad thread or really difficult. i havent gotton any help on this one so i guess i will have to walk blindly. im not really encouraged to post anything asking help about anything.

im not really encouraged to post anything asking help about anything.
Thats because you didn't bother to take time to tell us your requirements.
A booth with 30db of soundtransmission loss is totally different than one that needs 50db. So how are we supposed to know your needs?

Ok, here is the deal. I've been on the bbs 5 years. I've also replied to peoples request for how to build a vocal booth at LEAST 20 times. But the fact is, NO ONE has wanted to do what it takes to build a true isolated booth. They want CHEAP FAST TAKE NO SKILLS LITTLE ISOLATION AND PORTABLE. My reply is......bullshit. Simply put, I can tell you how but you won't like the truth.

Most people lack the understanding of isolation construction requirements and think that blankets will work just fine... :rolleyes: Maybe if you live in a noise vacume. But that is the problem. Everyone has a different set of criteria...either they rent and need portability with little isolation value , or intense isolation with no budget, or a good material budget but no skills or tools or the materials arn't available. Even your run of the mill carpenter or contractor doesn't have a clue to what it takes to achieve even 40 db of isolation. Especially if there are drums in an adjacent room at the same time. Which is another set of criteria. Everyone has a different way of recording too.

There are lots of people here who DO know how to build one, but it appears lately that everyone has grown tired of telling how only to get...."well, I don't think I want to do that"...or "I can't afford it"...or any number of final responses. What I suggest here is for you to do a SEARCH. If you can't find the answers by doing a little investigating yourself, then you don't want it bad enough. On the other hand, if you do find what your looking for but still have direct questions, come on back and I'll try to help you.

and putting acoustic foam on 75% of the walls. do you think will make for a good sounding vocal booth.

Possibly. Personally, I'd line the whole booth with 4" rigid fiberglass and cover with fabric. Then add ambience via electronics. But thats my .02
fitZ

name some comanies that make this stuff. doesnt rigid fiberglass have different densities and if so will it matter what density i purchase

Last edited:
does anyone have any idea how those silencer boxes are constructed on the back of the vocal booth from the first link?
They have 1/4 wavelength grill slits within, and are engineered(supposedly) to deal(absorb?)with the frequencies generated by the motor/fan and air turbulance of the ducts I believe. I don't really understand the principles by which they work, although large industrial fan/silencers was explained to me once. I'll have to look it up again. I thought they said it has something to do with diffraction also. Could be wrong though. Maybe these are just lined with rigid fiberglass....who knows though.
fitZ

mr. produca said:
name some comanies that make this stuff. doesnt rigid fiberglass have different densities and if so will it matter what density i purchase

Geez, man, does NO ONE have the aptitude to do a simple search around here?

This has been discussed IN THIS VERY FORUM to death. Do a search on rigid fiberglass and you'll find all the info you can handle, including a thread listing where to buy them in different locations.

fraserhutch said:
Geez, man, does NO ONE have the aptitude to do a simple search around here?

This has been discussed IN THIS VERY FORUM to death. Do a search on rigid fiberglass and you'll find all the info you can handle, including a thread listing where to buy them in different locations.

since you think that no one here has the intelligence to do a "simple search around here", why don't you just either give out some useful information or shut your pie hole. :)

p.s.

your avatar has to take a piss....let him out of the box.

TravisinFlorida said:
since you think that no one here has the intelligence to do a "simple search around here", why don't you just either give out some useful information or shut your pie hole. :)

p.s.

your avatar has to take a piss....let him out of the box.

I just told you HOW... sheesh, do I have to hold your hand?

one quick one fellas, Rick said at the top he would cover the whole room with this 4" fiberglass .i read somewhere that you sould never cover the entire room with any material. do you find this true or there is an exception when it comes to fiberglass? :confused: oh yeah thanks for the sites....

mr. produca said:
one quick one fellas, Rick said at the top he would cover the whole room with this 4" fiberglass .i read somewhere that you sould never cover the entire room with any material. do you find this true or there is an exception when it comes to fiberglass? :confused: oh yeah thanks for the sites....

I don't think the material is driving Rick's statement, I believe it is the fact that we are talking about a vocal booth here. As I guess you know, the reason you do not cover an entire room is that would deaden it altogether. What Rick indicated he would do if it were him is essentially remove the vocal room from the equation and add the 'room' via reverb, processing, etc.

And I would agree with him (yeah, I know, big deal :) It is just too hard to create a decent sounding space in a vocal booth. The walls are just too close together to tame.

One word of advice. Do NOT make the length-width dimensions EVEN number nor the same dimension. Try to keep it 5'x7' or 7'x 9' etc. Anything smaller than 5 feet in dimension is TOO SMALL by the time you build TWO LEAFS and add absorption material. Also, plan on either a solid core door, or building a multi layer MDF door with compression latches/seals. If you plan on a window, MASSIVE GLASS is in store. TWO LEAFS. BTW, if you are not familiar with the TWO LEAF concept, better do some studying. One other thing...VENTILATION!!!!!! Supply and return. Outa time. Later.
fitZ

BTW, as to the "room equasion thing, do a search on room modes/ speed of sound/combfiltering/mic response/ ventilation ducting vs pressure vs 1/4 wavelength absorption and you will begin to understand why.

Back