Vocal booth advice

bennymac

Hi All,

I'm about to construct a vocal booth, so I can do voiceover work from home. I've done a lot of googling and reading of forums such as this, and I do have a design I'm about to use, but as I am a total novice at this sort of thing (ie. construction and audiology) I would appreciate any comments/suggestions before I start.

I live in a rented apartment so the vocal booth has to be stand-alone. I'm prepared to spend up to US$1,000 on materials, as I'm hoping to have something I can use for professional work.

I need a vocal booth for two reasons, firstly to keep noise out. The room the booth will go in is unfortunatley the one closest to the road I live on. I'm on a hill, between two intersections, so whilst traffic can't get up that much speed, trucks are quite loud because they're in low gears (I do realise I won't be able to make it soundproof). Also I need to give my recordings a 'professional sound', even if I did have total silence the recordings wouldn't do because of the acoustics of the room. So I'm looking to construct a booth that reduces the sound as much as possible given my budget and location constraints, and provides a professional sound for voice work.

I found a design at http://www.digital-synthologie.de/gesangskabine/ , which the author has kindly put online. It seems to have worked for him and fits my requirements so I'm planning on using that. Diagram follows

gesangskabine.gif

My first question:
The author says he used 2cm particle board with "Rockwoll Planarock for acoustic insulation." on the outside. I can't source Rockwool Planarock here in Australia, so I've decided to use 25mm MDF, with Bradford SoundScreen Batts, and then covering it with 10mm Soundchek Acoustic Plasterboard
Perhaps putting them together as Dan Merrill did with his sound absorbers https://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?s=&threadid=42708
So I'd have 25mm MDF -- rockwool -- 10mm plasterboard, covered with upholstery fabric. Is this a good choice for making the vocal booth walls??? Also would it be necessary to construct the ceiling in the same way??? (btw I won't find the construction that hard -> my brother in law's a carpenter :D but I do need to tell him what to build :confused: )

My second question is about the door:
The author explains how to construct the door with the diagram below. I can follow the diagram, however he says he sealed it with 'Fenstermoll', once again I can't source this in Australia (the link he provided is dead, so I don't even know what it is). So using the design he has provided how would you go about sealing the door? Or is there a better way to attach a door.
tuer.gif

My third questions is about the lining of the interior walls:
The author has appeared to have lined all walls and the ceiling with material designed to make it anechoic. I'm sure I can source a similar material, but does it need to cover all surfaces, I thought I read somewhere that it doesn't??? Also any suggestions on what material is best appreciated.

innen3.jpg

Once again I do appreciate anyone taking the time to reply to this post, I realise there are a lot of questions, links etc., and I'm lacking a lot of basic knowledge which may be frustrating...

Thanks
Ben

Welcome Bennymac,
Just a quick one, If you are having a hard time sourcing Rockwool, a better product for the purpose you require is the rigid fiberglass, you should be able to source that at any Bunnings store or insulation mob. You are on the right track, the ceiling should be constructed the same as the rest of the booth.
KEV

Welcome aboard, as far as sealing the door, a good course of felt weather stripping will probably serve your needs quite nicely, plus it's guick and easy to install. If the gap around the door is really wide you might need to double the stripping.
Don't make your booth air tight, you have to breathe while in there.

Thanks for the advice guys

I'll buy materials this weekend, and hopefully put it together next weekend...

I'll keep you posted...

Cheers
Ben

Go to http://www.mcmastercarr.com and do a search for "automatic door sweep." Go to the bottom of the page and you'll see what I use in my vocal booth. Really seals the door bottom good. Works by forcing down a spring loaded sweeper as the door is closed. Not too expensive either but I'm not sure where you would find it there.

DD

I know this is an old thread but I was wondering how this booth turned out and how the vocals sound?

I have a small 10x10 bedroom that I have all my music equipment in and wish to record vocals. I don't have any outside noise that is crazy ... just the furnace kicking on here and there, the computer fan, dogs in the background, etc. I want a booth to help eliminate some of that background noise (not sure if that will even make a difference in my vocals since they seem to sound pretty good as is) as well as so to cover up my voice so I can't be heard in any of the other rooms at night.

I don't know if I can get it to be soundproof, close to soundproof, or if it even makes a big difference (not sure exactly how much of an improvement this would make if any since I've never had a booth to compare) but I definitely need to be able to not disturb anybody at night when I'm in there doing my thing. I'm not opposed to opening the door and letting it air out every 10 minutes or so if things get to hot but would be nice if I could have a fan system without sacrificing sound quality. Perhaps the fan can be turned on while I'm not recording.

I'd like to spend under $1,000 on the booth so if anybody has any good blueprints they'd like to share, tips, advice, etc. I'd really appreciate it. I heard small booths suck and make vocals sound worse so really curious if I should even build one or just keep the background noise I have; however, I would really like to be able to get loud in there without disturbing anybody else at night so what can I do?

Your 10x10 room is about the size a typical vocal booth would be in any pro studio...so rather than building a "coffin"....just spend the money on treating your 10x10 room...and it will serve multiple recording purposes instead of just a booth.

AFA the OP and his booth...he suffocated or died of claustrophobia in that small space. ;) :D

Back