VLAD the IMPALER of 703

bLUiVORY

= Mojo Worker =
I have never seen anyone discuss the installation of acoustic-treatment wall panels without recommending the construction/use of a wooden frame and (usually) a back-panel, saying that without it, over time it will 'sag'.

Yet right in the Owens-Corning 700 series documentation it refers to mounting by 'Impaling'.

Like this:

Pin Patterns 50.png

Now, this sure as hell seems a lot easier, less expensive and less time consuming. And I don't really see it ever sagging if it's hanging on the wall.

I don't expect any members around here would care to express an opinion. Or WOULD they?

I sure do like the thought of Impaling something.

I've read a few people here who just wrapped their OC panels with cloth and hung them that way with no frame. I think the cloth cover sagging is a possibility - how do you hold it together with fabric glue on the back side? And of course you need to impale though the cloth.

I held mine up with a few nails from the back. Had the nailgun and just hit it a few times.
That's kinda 'reverse impaling'.
Whatever works.
But then, the OP was about if anyone had an *opinion* and I'm sure it makes a world of difference to someone.... somehow.... maybe.
But that's their choice. I don't see a diff -- more importantly, I don't understand how you could *hear* a diff.

Ponder5

I'm considering cutting a piece of 1/4"-3/8" plywood (probably 1/4" luan underlayment) to 22" x 46", running 6 ea. 1 3/4" drywall-screw 'impalers' from the backside in the recommended pattern, then hanging this 'backplate' on the wall. Lastly, after wrapping the 703 in fabric as a separate entity, impaling the 703 onto these impaler-plates.

Of course, this won't do for ceilng-mounted panels, but should be good for wall-mount. Hey, if it sags over time I can always build some frames. Otoh, if it works-out as expected it could sure save a bit of expense and time.

Back