ventilation for small vocal room, need help!!!

PetSoundsPSU

I recently enclosed the bottom of my bed loft. The area is very small but just big enough for me to play my guitar and sing. The are is 6 feet long, 6 feet high and 3.5 feet wide. I have enlcosed it with playwood. With that done, I am concerned how I can get some ventilation in the room without letting any sound out. My primary concern is to keep it as soundproof as possible so I don't bother any neibors in my apartment complex. I've considered cutting out a small hole or square where I can put a fan on the outside of the loft to blow in, but I have always heard that it is best to keep an area air tight for best soundproofing resuluts. Any suggestions on this would be of great value. Thanks

On one of the walls, or ceiling, you will need to insert a small airvent. If you have central air conditioning, tap off that and put several filters between the main ductwork and the vent in the room. This will significantly reduce the sound transmission in both directions. If you use flexible ducting, the sound transmission will be even less.

If central air is out of the question due to your home's construction (or lack of central air), there are other solutions, but they all require a little space.

What you do is install the central air vent, then a duct, and put a AC fan at the other end of the duct. The same rules as above apply - soft flexible ducting transmits sound much less, and putting filters between the fan and your vent in the room will make a difference. 3 or 4 filters :)

I'd then attach the fan's wiring to a dimmer, so that you can slow the fan down and get a small breeze, without the wrrrrrr of the fan motor. At full RPM, fans tend to make a lot of noise, both mechanically and by moving large amounts of air.

These are two of many ways to solve this problem.

Lastly, make sure the vanes of the duct in the room face the wall, and not the microphone. Most mics are sensative enough to pick up the slight breeze. By dispersing the airflow towards the wall provides a more comfortable ambient space for you, the musician, without torturing your recordings.

Hope that helps.

PetSoundsPSU said:
I recently enclosed the bottom of my bed loft. The area is very small but just big enough for me to play my guitar and sing. The are is 6 feet long, 6 feet high and 3.5 feet wide. I have enlcosed it with playwood. With that done, I am concerned how I can get some ventilation in the room without letting any sound out. My primary concern is to keep it as soundproof as possible so I don't bother any neibors in my apartment complex. I've considered cutting out a small hole or square where I can put a fan on the outside of the loft to blow in, but I have always heard that it is best to keep an area air tight for best soundproofing resuluts. Any suggestions on this would be of great value. Thanks

Back