Using my control room for recording too?

nemix

(If anyone would be kind enough to take the periods outa my urls and post the pictures it would be great I can't post other urls yet :( )I have came to the conclusion that I will not be able to have a vocal booth and after some reading, I'm not sure if I'd even need one....

My plan was to treat my room so I could use it for both monitoring the music I make and recording in it if this is possible. I used google sketchup to give you guys an idea of how my room is put together (my bed will have to stay btw) The two walls have a large window and blinds on them which i planned to cover with pull down curtains that had velcro (sp?) attached to them, I was then going to hang my foam to that.

If you want any other measurements let me know, would the bed be that bad to keep in here?

myroom1kh6.png

myroom4ji9.png

myroommeasuredxt5.png

thought I'd make a pretty good drawing to give people an idea of what I'm working with, when I was searching around I saw that people were very vague with description of the room they wanted to treat.

Just looking for ideas on how to acheive a both good sounding room for making my music and making decent recordings.

I need to make some bass traps and read up on what thickness I should use for the fiberglass/foam I will use on the walls. Not sure how I will attemp to do my wood ceiling yet.

centering the mix position, try to get acoustic symmetry, treat the corners with bass traps, treat the key reflections points, front, side, ceiling, and back with absorbers. get a smaller bed, you're not going to be sleeping anyways... :)

And again i can't post pics yet, any help would be great with that part :D

So I've been fooling around a little more with this program, does what I have drawn up seem like overkill? or about right?I have no idea what I will do with my ceiling or how thick of my material i will put in there.

BTW the dark brown on the pictures is 2" thick and the light tan is 4" thick fiberglass/whatever material i'll use.

myroomfoamed5.png

myroomfoam3kj1.png

myroomfoam2em5.png

myroomfoam1dm0.png

So I've been fooling around a little more with this program, does what I have drawn up seem like overkill? or about right?I have no idea what I will do with my ceiling or how thick of my material i will put in there.

BTW the dark brown on the pictures is 2" thick and the light tan is 4" thick fiberglass/whatever material i'll use.
Looks perfect, although you don't seem to have a panel in the left first reflection point. For ceiling, just have a 2'x4'x2" trap in the ceiling first reflection point, and that should do it.

How do I know exactly where those first reflection points are? I've searched around but was unable to find anything relating to finding exact locations (unless there's a just in general rule)

and when you say to the left side do you mean left of the desk or on the left front of the room? or neither? lol

How do I know exactly where those first reflection points are? I've searched around but was unable to find anything relating to finding exact locations (unless there's a just in general rule)

and when you say to the left side do you mean left of the desk or on the left front of the room? or neither? lol
Well it's roughly halfway between the monitors and the sweet spot(mixing position). If you sit in the sweet spot, and get someone to hold a mirron on the wall. Move the mirror around 'til you can see the opposite monitor(on the left wall until you can see the right monitor). This is the first reflection point, and same on the ceiling.

Thanks for all the info I think have a good idea what needs to be done, last question about my corner units though, should I use an empty space behind or try this approach (superchunks)?

http://forum.studiotips.com/viewtopic.php?t=535
Superchunks are a lot better, but use a lot more material, which makes them a lot more expensive. So if your budget stretches that far, go for it. If not, the panel straddling the corner will still be hugely beneficial. Most here go for the panel straddling the corner, as will I.

I don't know much about treatment, i basically got help from others here so i can't comment on that (thanks everyone who helped:) ). Anyway, i was using a very similar room for a long time and it defineatly worked for both recording and beatmaking, mixing, etc. One i was able to get my bed out (same room), i was able to treat it more thoroughly and reposition things. I was able to cater the "control room" side better but found the quality of recording was unnaffected, which was fine as it sounded good enough for me to begin with. Not a "scientific" perspective, just saying, it's entirely possible to do this.

Superchunks are a lot better, but use a lot more material, which makes them a lot more expensive. So if your budget stretches that far, go for it. If not, the panel straddling the corner will still be hugely beneficial. Most here go for the panel straddling the corner, as will I.

I happen to have a lot of this foam left over from a year or two back

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Auralex-2-Studiofoam-Wedge?sku=422624

and two of these bass trap things

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Auralex-Studio-Foam-LENRD-Bass-Traps?sku=422628

Would using these to make superchunk traps benefit me or have little to no effect? Thought it could be a good way to save a little cash

I happen to have a lot of this foam left over from a year or two back

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Auralex-2-Studiofoam-Wedge?sku=422624

and two of these bass trap things

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Auralex-Studio-Foam-LENRD-Bass-Traps?sku=422628

Would using these to make superchunk traps benefit me or have little to no effect? Thought it could be a good way to save a little cash
I'd use the first in the first reflection points, and the second as bass traps, but make some more bass traps(4-6" rigid fiberglass panels). It should work great. :D

I'd use the first in the first reflection points, and the second as bass traps, but make some more bass traps(4-6" rigid fiberglass panels). It should work great. :D

My materials are already on order, i think. I was going to make all the panels like I had in the pictures above, and just was wondering if using the foam I already have as the "chunks" in the super chunk trap would work. :D

My materials are already on order, i think. I was going to make all the panels like I had in the pictures above, and just was wondering if using the foam I already have as the "chunks" in the super chunk trap would work. :D
Nah i'd just stick to the rigid fiberglass for superchunks. You could add the foam to the front of the traps though, if you prefer the look of the foam... :p

Back