Use the bedroom and turn it into a home studio

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dood. Why the need to argue?

First off I would suggest reading posts as opposed to reading into them.

I never stated you didn't have experience. I stated that those giving advice that have experience with 'acoustic treatment' are correct in giving it. It seems obvious that you do not. So chill out. :drunk:

Yeah man, shit can come out of the best studios. I have been there as well. That is not what we are talking about here however.

Myself and others members are giving advice based upon our experience. And by the way acoustic treatment is likely the cheapest improvement anyone can invest in, in any room. Nobody trying to sell shiny plugins or gear here. In fact I personally feel it saves people tons of money once they realize how much better a small room can sound with acoustic treatment. So many try to throw software or mics at an issue that is really just about the room they are recording in to begin with. It all starts with the room. Then talent. Then the gear. Many miss the first step and waste money trying to get quality recordings.

And by the way nobody was ever in this thread about sound 'isolation' You brought that up in post #6. This is not a thread about Abbey Road. This is about a 12x12' room with 7' ceilings. Not even comparable.

No wonder the OP hasn't returned with the argument you have turned this thread into. I suggest you just relax and realize nobody other than you is arguing. It kinda weird actually to see you clap with one hand... lol

Seriously dood. Have that beer and nuts and we will talk later. I'll grab a beer myself. :)

To inject a little perspective here;
No certainly you do not have to do everything.
But No it isn't, and no it wasn't.
For the most part it's pretty much all in the spirit of passing on helpful info -or how this stuff works.

You know, before one gets 'attuned recording, acoustics etc, we haven't noticed or experienced yet how very often radically different our 'ears hear things -live in the room- vs a mic, and the result of that being later played back.

Just for fun? Name the difference and why.
.. Not 'pointing that at you 42low, anyone of course may play. :D

'Free bee-
Do not respond with 'Because the mic wasn't near you ear'.
;)

I am not sure I completely understand your question but...

I have found over the years that no mic hears the way we do. It is always a choice based on what seemed to work the last time. then a new instrument is introduced. That didn't sound right with that mic.

But from my experience with recording, there is no one right way to do anything. In my drum room I have a totally different setup (in regards to acoustic treatment) than I do for my guitar isolation room. Completely a different approach for my mixing room which I also record vocals in.

What I will say as fact is that the amount of money I spent on acoustic treatment was way fucking cheaper than the gear I purchased. It was around $1800. But I have a 1200 s.f. studio space and 4 rooms. Two 13 x 27' or so. Still 8' ceilings but they are treated in the best way possible I could find for my spaces. For a small bedroom and someone with some basic carpentry skills, maybe $400.

An easy way to find what bass traps can do it to buy rolls of pink insulation from hardware store. Leave the plastic on and stack them in the corners. You can return them after for full refund.

If you do not understand or hear what just happened after listening in room after this experiment, then you should likely not be working with audio period. Just my opinion. But seriously, anyone with good ears will change their mind quickly.

Like i said already. Many houses have (hidden) temperature isolation already, which isolates sound too. Why do double?

See, right there, you've shown you don't know the difference between acoustic isolation and acoustic treatment in a room. You can be in a room made with 24" thick concrete walls, floor and ceiling, double-insulated steel fire doors. NO sound gets out, no sound gets in - that's ISOLATION. Go make some music in that room without acoustic treatment ....

Maybe you have done all those studio things you mention, but you are here, new, under an alias and we haven't heard one thing you have recorded or mixed.

Dood. Why the need to argue?

First off I would suggest reading posts as opposed to reading into them.

Because my advice was made ridiculous. And that's not the first time.
And that i won't accept and i kick back.
Although i'm not going to be childish, but i didn't start this shit.
I will not accept disrespect.

I never stated you didn't have experience. I stated that those giving advice that have experience with 'acoustic treatment' are correct in giving it. It seems obvious that you do not. So chill out. :drunk:

I know. I never said accoustic treatment isn't neccesairy.
But a bedroom already has some hidden accoustic treatment. Temperature isolation and the stuff what is in.
I attended at that to not do double unneccesairy other ones to quick.

The accoustic bennefits of a room and that what is it in it is mostly underestimated. And in advices not mentioned.
There are almost always curtains hanging on the wall and carpets on floors in famous studio's. If one can use a curtain by closing it, why should he rebuild half his room were he must sleep too?

I gave a reasonable attention about a real fact an i won't eccept disrespect on that by being made rediculous.
Especially not by those who with their laughing reactions seem to lack the knolledge about using a room itself at it's full, and seem to never been in real famous hitsongs producing studio's.

Dissagree with me and we can have an interesting and learnfull discusion, most probably for both.
But never ever disrespect me if i only try to hep someone with a good other or supplementing option. And some did this.

I am not sure I completely understand your question but...
Good answer non the less.
I was gonging another way- and should have been more specific.

You know, before one gets 'attuned recording, acoustics etc, we haven't noticed or experienced yet how very often radically different our 'ears hear things -live in the room- vs a mic, and the result of that being later played back.

Just for fun? Name the difference and why.
To this I should have included that this- 'The difference' and understanding why, is in part directly related to the many beginner's questions 'why doesn't my track sound good like (the instrument or whatever) did in the room?', or 'What's wrong with my tracks?', or... 'What's with all this noise from my mic?'
Which... leads to the even more threads of 'What new and better [thing] do I need to fix this?'
Down and dirty reality- 'Live' our 'ears and brain 'fix' -filter out, compensate etc, a lot of the sh*t that goes on in environments for us automatically.
In other words, the functions give us 'focus and filtering to what we are listening to.
That don't happen on recorded play back. Surprise! (At first. Later, when you get it', and hear both or either way, not a surprise.
'Armed, you're more apt to know what to chase. Or what not to. :)

See, right there, you've shown you don't know the difference between acoustic isolation and acoustic treatment in a room.

I didn't show that. You didn't read what i said. Isolation was only a part of what i mentioned.
So i advice you to read my words again. If then still not clear then simply ask for more clearness instead off taking wrong conclusions.

Maybe you have done all those studio things you mention, but you are here, new, under an alias and we haven't heard one thing you have recorded or mixed.

Believe it or not, it is as i said cause i'm no lier or bluffer. I am what i am and i'm real.
And as long as i get disrespecting reactions this will not happen. You think that something else will happen then that some will take their chance again to burn everything down no matter what? You think i will give that oppertinity? Think i'm stupid. ;)

Alias. Indeed. For the time i reach world fame! :D (this is a joke ;) )

Now my last beer for today and then sleep.
Enough rock 'n roll for the day. Cheers.

But a bedroom already has some hidden accoustic treatment. Temperature isolation and the stuff what is in.

I don't know how it is where you live...but in most houses, the "temperature isolation" is IN the walls...and the room has just sheetrock or some other hard surface showing...not the "temperature isolation"...and it's insulation, not isolation.
So that type of insulation in the walls will do nothing for acoustics in the room...nada, zip, zero.

There are almost always curtains hanging on the wall and carpets on floors in famous studio's.

Sure...but you seem to think that's all that is there just because you don't see the typical home studio type of traps hanging on the walls. There's a LOT more acoustic treatment in pro studios than some curtains and carpet...not to mention, many are built from the ground up to be a studio...they are not just converted bedrooms and basements like we have to use in the home rec environment, which is why for home recording, the acoustic treatment is that much more important...because there is nothing there to begin with.

Curtains and beds and some carpet aren't going to really make things sound good...but if that's all you got, or you have no interest in doing anything more, then there's no point to even discuss anything else. The OP here is asking what he needs...and you're basically trying to tell him he needs nothing more than the curtains and the bed and the carpet.'
That's kinda ridiculous...and certainly misinformed.
Not to mention...that perfectly square room will need even more than just some traps on the walls. The OP needs to find a way to change one of the dimensions...maybe add some kind of wall...or a bookcase or something...otherwise, he will be fighting all kinds of node/null issues.

It's one thing to "make do"...but when someone asks what's needed, what could improve things...then they are looking to do more than just "make do".

That's not what i said at all miroslave. Again your totally scramble my words into some bullsh!t.
You too i advice to read my words again carefully.

Want to ask you something. Do you do that (scrambling) on purpose each time to pick a fight or whatever? Or can't you read that well or can't overlook the total info? Must i have pitty and patence with you, or do i have a good reason to dislike you? I'm curious what really happen here each time.
At the end now you are one off those why i'm glad with 'alias' and not give any oppertinity. But you knew that already i think. Change it, or carry on this way? What do you choose?

As your still on my ignore list i will not react on your details. Sorry dude. Respect first.

Now to my beer for sure. L8er. :D

Last edited:
Huh....???

Not for nothing, but I think maybe you have more of a problem with English than I do...so maybe you're the one not understanding or not explaining too well.

I know what you said, so go back and read your own posts. I don't really want to waste any more time quoting your comments throughout the thread....and it's obvious that other people read your posts the same way I did based on their responses.

You just need to row yourself in a bit...you're out past the breakers, without a life preserver, and there's a storm coming...and you should respect that.

But.. what mic do I need?

:)
Cheers everyone.

Hmmm. I ain't got no beer.
Huh. Out'a whiskey too.

Sh*t. And CPAP water... :rolleyes:

"or not explaining too well."

If so one could ask for more clearness instead off laughing with disrespect.
And again you get it done to turn it on me.

A storm won't scare me.
And i'd rather drown in that storm then reach out my hand to you or whoever disrespects me.

Now, go back behind your knobs and lights and let yourself get dazzled in your holy dreamworld. Will help you to get rid off your frustrations.
I'm going to sleep. Without dreaming.

:D

You're the one that sounds frustrated here...not I...and don't worry about not reaching out for my hand....'cuz I won't be out there in a storm. I'll be behind my knobs and lights, dazzled in my holy dream world...only thing...it's not a dream, my studio is really there. :)

Yeah...you should get some sleep...you're starting to ramble now.

Summary:

1 There is a real and well-established body of science on acoustics that is used to design and fit-out professional studios. This results in a recording environment that is stable, dependable and free of unwanted artifacts (such as nodes).

2 You can get by without this (and indeed a lot of people do), and sometimes you will have an acoustically-friendly space that allows for decent recordings. But 'getting by' is effectively a work-around, and chances are you could get better recordings with better acoustic treatment.

3 Bigger is better. Generally the bigger the space you work in, the better chance you have of managing the sound. And if you are not in a studio, clutter (specially heavy clutter) helps.

4 Not everything is recorded in a studio. Choirs, orchestras and band are often recorded in venues that are not optimised for recording, but technical skills and expertise deliver good results.

5 To the OP . . .just do it. It may work, it may not. But you won't know unless you try it.

gecko summed it up very well. As usual.

42low, I must ask why you are taking opinions as personal stabs at you. Nobody is doing that man. It not happening here now in any way.

It may just be time to take a step back and read again tomorrow.

Cheers brother. :)

gecko summed it up very well. As usual.

Gecko did indeed.
But gecko confirms what i said. Especially in points 2, 4 and 5. And i never disagreed but even agreed with 1 and 3.
Were 5 exactly IS my advice.
So why should those some laugh?

Only one serious question [MENTION=14840]Gecko[/MENTION].
You say "and free of unwanted artifacts". But why then many times lots of spare guitars and other instruments are hanging around?
Why there always are couches?
How about all the not soundproof flat boxes with stacked gear in it in the studio and not placed outside? Just like unused amps.
Why are instruments recorded without drums, but in the space were the drums are still standing?
To me that sounds like unwanted artifacts, so not free of those at all.
Because that all matters that much? ;)

I guess if that all would matter that much that would be handled. ;)
Oh man, all that unneccesairy stuff hanging around. An unused drums, that would be the biggest trap (but many times there). That resonates!
But it all seems to be no problem at all. :D Is it indeed a myth for a big part like i say? ;)

42low, I must ask why you are taking opinions as personal stabs at you. Nobody is doing that man. It not happening here now in any way.

Some did make my advice look foolish.
Read back.

It may just be time to take a step back and read again tomorrow.

I've read back and still read it.

Professional studio's do have perfect accoustics. But it is a myth that everything is fit for that.
They use the space they have, do some basics, and only correct fails, just like i adviced from the beginning and never otherwise.

And it IS a fact that you can break a wall bounce with curtains and floor bounce with carpet, which can look better and (in bedroom) is much easier than that specialized stuff.
Those who made that ridicilous themselves lack real practical knowledge.

[MENTION=94267]miroslav[/MENTION]
Till next time that you will grab the oppertunity to kick at me.
Not frustrated. ;) I only hate fight pickers like you.
Was it fun all alone by yourselve behind your knobs and lights? With again no artist in it?
Although i already know you won't tell the truth overhere in front off all, i wonder how much your professional studio cost allready without (enough) customers to make a profit. ;)
You cute wannabe. :D

Last edited:
But gecko confirms what i said. Especially in points 2, 4 and 5.

I should point out (as I did for point 4), that to get things to work in non-ideal situations requires considerable skill and expertise. If you are just starting out and haven't built up an arsenal of tricks and techniques, your chance of getting something respectable are reduced.

You say "and free of unwanted artifacts". But why then many times lots of spare guitars and other instruments are hanging around?
Why there always are couches?

When I mention 'artifacts' I am referring to audio artifacts (and I gave an example of nodes), not furniture and fittings. Another example is flutter echo, and sometimes ring modulation, excessive reverberation and so on. In point 3 I noted the benefit of clutter, i.e. furniture and fittings. But, yes, spare guitars hanging around can cause problems if their strings start vibrating in sympathy. Likewise, an unattended snare on a stand can start rattling.

I should point out (as I did for point 4), that to get things to work in non-ideal situations requires considerable skill and expertise. If you are just starting out and haven't built up an arsenal of tricks and techniques, your chance of getting something respectable are reduced.

And then you notice that problem and solve it. Just solve that what's needed. Too much will reduce your results too.

When I mention 'artifacts' I am referring to audio artifacts (and I gave an example of nodes), not furniture and fittings.

Aren't the object i've mentioned no interfering artefacts then?
Look at some profi studio's with some attention and you will scare about the many 'unwanted artifacts' are laying around.
This states my point that a studio doesn't have to be 100% perfect at all as some try too make believe.

If you look how for instance a base trap works, a bed with matres and thick curtains will do a big piece the same. Then you only need some suplementing activity and there is no need to rebuild a full room with basetraps. A 'small basetrap in that one interfering corner' will be enough then. That was the point i'm trying to make.
Like i said i record on the attic, and for instance vocal recordings do best when the laundry is hanging to dry. If no laundry there i hang some myself before recording. :listeningmusic:

So yelling all the time that "all is needed cause otherwise bad results" is bullsh!t. It's sounding insulting too the many around here who doesn't have all that but still make nice recordings, which many times even is better than the 'knobs and lights' productions that come by. :o
Many famous bands didn't start in a full professional studio when they had their breakthrough. Many famous hitsongs would also be bullsh!t quality then?

And it's the same as with gear, mics and plugins.
A good musician can make very nice music with hardly anything, while another with all possible super stuff creates shit.

Perhaps i should start a contest about what my studio cost me. :D And i don't encounter many problems that are mentioned in the homerecording world, and still do reach an acceptable quality level.
That contest would be a big laugh. :laughings: :laughings: :laughings: (and tears pulling confronting for some)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back