Ultra-budget acoustic treatment

mgraffeo

So I was in Borders this weekend, browsing several music magazines, and came across a discussion in a magazine (Computer Music, I think), which was talking about acoustic treatment on a shoestring. Their recommendation was to hang a curtain rod in the room, and hang heavy curtains around the front half of the room (where the monitors are) foor the early reflections. To cover the bass, they recommended taking bookshelves (small, 2 shelf-types) in each corner of the room, and stuffing them with pillows, to act as a bass trap.

I haven't tried either, and don't really have the ability to right now. I'm just curious if anyone thinks that this is a great idea, or a cockamamie scheme.

Thanks!

-mg

MG,

Yes, cockamamie. :)

If you want to stuff pillow cases in a bookcase, at least fill them with as much fiberglass as you can possibly squeeze into them. Even better is to forget the bookcases - they just waste space that could be used for more fiberglass.

--Ethan

c7sus,

how are you sealing the box, if the slots are variable, sliding on dowels? Any plans / pictures to share?

-mg

Do you know how much thick curtains cost!?

That sounds like a good idea... if you can get curtains for free! Have you priced out thick curtains? They're really expensive, especially if you have a larger room. Bookshelves are pretty cheap if you get pressboard, but then the pillows add more cost as well. In the end, your shoe string budget is approaching $400.00 or $500.00, and that's for a small room.

Most of my friends who have such a small budget go with a roominator kit from Auralex. (www.auralex.com) I personally went with a Microcosm solution. (www.microcosmmedia.com) It cost me under $300.00, looks great, and it's quite effective at taming the acoustic environment. What's really neat about the Microcosm stuff is that you can swap it on and off the walls to get more or less of a live sound when you need it.

c7sus, You HAVE to tell me/give me the plans you're using. I'm gearing up to convert one of the old barns here at my house into a studio and acoustical treatment is going to be a bitch. Any DIY plans are much appreciated.

Back